Roy Jones Jr winning a HW title.

as a fighter? not a lot, great fighter, really great, as a person, i think most of us who call ourselves boxing fans didn't like how he treated his opponents. making them wait years for rematches, making them yield to his demands because of his star power. he seems to have turned into a genuinely nice guy now but his ego definitely had him drunk in the mid to late 80's.
Ray was high for a lot of his career. I've battled addiction myself so I forgive him because he's turned himself around. But I see where you're coming from.

It didn't make or break his legacy but it enhanced it, no doubt.

This. Ruiz had a legit title. You can hardly find a boxing fan who hates his guts more than I do, somehow it may be liked to my waking up in the middle of the night to watch Ruiz-Rahman from across the pond (The horror... the horror...). But he earned his belt and Jones beat him fair and square coming from 175 for his HW debut. It's a noteworthy achievement. Period.

as a fighter? not a lot, great fighter, really great, as a person, i think most of us who call ourselves boxing fans didn't like how he treated his opponents. making them wait years for rematches, making them yield to his demands because of his star power. he seems to have turned into a genuinely nice guy now but his ego definitely had him drunk in the mid to late 80's.
All people remember is that boyish grin.

Ray was sort if an asshole though. He made fun of Tommy Hearns speech impediment on live TV.

This. Ruiz had a legit title. You can hardly find a boxing fan who hates his guts more than I do, somehow it may be liked to my waking up in the middle of the night to watch Ruiz-Rahman from across the pond (The horror... the horror...). But he earned his belt and Jones beat him fair and square coming from 175 for his HW debut. It's a noteworthy achievement. Period.
it's hard to know how to call jones' victory for me, ruiz was a champion, jones beat him easy, i'd rather for him to have fought someone else at heavyweight though. I think roy could have taken holyfield at that point in time, and possibly tyson too, Lewis would have crushed him , that's the fight that we should have seen, jones couldn't get the money he wanted to so he went back down. I don't know, roy beat someone at the level of some of the abc champs of the 80's, i think his many kayo losses have stuck out more for people than his last major win.

Ray was sort if an asshole though. He made fun of Tommy Hearns speech impediment on live TV.
Can any of you explain to me how you don't score the second fight for hearns?

did he really? I never saw that, he was usually pretty sneaky with how he dogged his opponents. I still think he got into haglers head, recently i was surprised that don turner said the same thing, i realized i wasn't the only one to think that. I also think ray was so nice to hagler, and they had become friendly in the years between ray's retirement and the fight, and ray did nothing to antagonize Hagler during the tour, marvin said "he'd killing me with kindness" and thats exactly what he did, for whatever reason marvelous looked like he didn't want to hurt ray in that fight, i think he was psyched.

Can any of you explain to me how you don't score the second fight for hearns?
i think most people do. it was close though, each had two rounds that could have been called 10-8's, it was the quiet rounds that i thought should have gotten tommy the victory.

it's hard to know how to call jones' victory for me, ruiz was a champion, jones beat him easy, i'd rather for him to have fought someone else at heavyweight though. I think roy could have taken holyfield at that point in time, and possibly tyson too, Lewis would have crushed him , that's the fight that we should have seen, jones couldn't get the money he wanted to so he went back down. I don't know, roy beat someone at the level of some of the abc champs of the 80's, i think his many kayo losses have stuck out more for people than his last major win.

Well, I would have preferred another opponent myself, and we all know Lewis would have KOed him. The fact of the matter is that Jones beat a legit title holder at HW

i love roy but he was a precursor to mayweather and others today, guys who make every excuse in the book to avoid the very best they can get, complaining the whole time about money.

did he really? I never saw that, he was usually pretty sneaky with how he dogged his opponents. I still think he got into haglers head, recently i was surprised that don turner said the same thing, i realized i wasn't the only one to think that. I also think ray was so nice to hagler, and they had become friendly in the years between ray's retirement and the fight, and ray did nothing to antagonize Hagler during the tour, marvin said "he'd killing me with kindness" and thats exactly what he did, for whatever reason marvelous looked like he didn't want to hurt ray in that fight, i think he was psyched.
Yep, he said something about how Hearns "didn't even talk right" or something like that. I don't know if you recall that Hearns had sort of an odd voice.

i think most people do. it was close though, each had two rounds that could have been called 10-8's, it was the quiet rounds that i thought should have gotten tommy the victory.
Agreed bro, close but tommy didn't lose.

Yep, he said something about how Hearns "didn't even talk right" or something like that. I don't know if you recall that Hearns had sort of an odd voice.
hearns was starting to slur, yes, sometime after the hagler fight, leonards' a dick to point it out. I honestly didn't think tommy would speak as well as he does today, i figured if he was already slurring at 26, he'd be a wreck by 50, glad i was wrong, i love tommy.

Agreed bro, close but tommy didn't lose.
even ray has said as much, give him credit for that, it's rare for a fighter to admit he lost, very rare. Ali admitted it after the third norton fight, they say Joe Louis acknowledged to jersey joe that he lost but joe denied that later. like i said, rare.

even ray has said as much, give him credit for that, it's rare for a fighter to admit he lost, very rare. Ali admitted it after the third norton fight, they say Joe Louis acknowledged to jersey joe that he lost but joe denied that later. like i said, rare.
I'm aware of all of those things. It just should be acknowledged by boxing fans. I respect all of them for doing that.

hearns was starting to slur, yes, sometime after the hagler fight, leonards' a dick to point it out. I honestly didn't think tommy would speak as well as he does today, i figured if he was already slurring at 26, he'd be a wreck by 50, glad i was wrong, i love tommy.
No, Hearns was born with a cleft palate. He had a legitimate speech impediment.

It wasn't a lifelong illness. I don't know where you got that from.

Lennox vacated the WBA title because he refused to fight Ruiz.

So not only was Ruiz a champ, he was good enough for Lewis to be wary of fighting him.

You mean when Lewis had already lined up a fight against Michael Grant when the WBA announced that he had to fight Ruiz?

Are you one of these retards who look on boxrec and just make shit up to try and validate your points?

You mean when Lewis had already lined up a fight against Michael Grant when the WBA announced that he had to fight Ruiz?

Are you one of these retards who look on boxrec and just make shit up to try and validate your points?
Ignore this bullshit, you know what's correct.

Ray was high for a lot of his career. I've battled addiction myself so I forgive him because he's turned himself around. But I see where you're coming from.
Same bro. I wouldn't crime anyone for it.

Back