Roy Jones couldve been the GOAT at 185...no?

He won a silver medal in Olympic Boxing, so he would have likely been a dominant champion in whatever weight class he chose. Too bad he chose to make millions of dollars and fans, as well as becoming an excellent ambassador for U.S. athletes over fighting in a parking lot or garage, which is what he would have been doing as MMA existed, but not even in it's current form. It wouldn't have been called MMA.
Good post. Should be added too though that the judge's decision in that Olympic fight was one of the shadiest ever recorded. They were actually banned for life afterward.

Good post. Should be added too though that the judge's decision in that Olympic fight was one of the shadiest ever recorded. They were actually banned for life afterward.

Too bad he can't be given a retroactive gold medal.

His prime? Middleweight?

Sure but he was a beast at light heavyweight, which went up to 180 and he would need to put on some muscle for grappling.

He defended the LHW belt 14 times before Tarver.
LHW in boxing is up to 178lb's, and boxers don't cut anywhere near as much as MMA fighters. Roy would be a WW. He's too small for MW.

Mirko is once in a lifetime, maybe once ever.

He had the power and explosion and he had punches AND kicks. Everything he came into MMA with from the beginning was far more than Roy would have had at his starting point.

Lets also add to the fact Cro Cop trained with Fabricio fucking Werdum to learn grappling.

I don't know how his takedown defense got so good. Does anyone know who helped Mirko on his sprawl? I remember seeing videos before his MMA debut of him sprawling and then roundhouse kicking the shit out of a heavybag and then sprawling back down real quick. But he had to have worked with some high level wrestlers to develop that TDD.

Sorry for going off topic but I just think Mirko brought a lot more to the table than Roy. Roy would have been eaten alive by all the grapplers at 170 and 185 at any point in MMA history.

I think he could win a few fights and it would have been very entertaining but I just dont think he would have beaten any top 20 fighters unless he had at least 10 years of grappling.
Roy was a once in forever.

Cro cop folded when the going got tough.

Lmao wtf is this shit

Ha ha

Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield both could have easily made 205 when they were in their 20's

He would be 170,185,205, and HW champ no bull

Roy was a once in forever.

Cro cop folded when the going got tough.

Lmao wtf is this shit
As far as a world class striker transitioning to MMA and being very elite for about 5 or 6 years, yes, he is very rare.

A kickboxer that could stop takedowns from Mark Coleman.

Not saying Roy is not special himself but I do not know if he could transition as smoothly to MMA as Mirko did.

Mirko came into MMA with more weapons than Roy would have and Mirko developed super takedown defense faster than Roy likely would have.

No. He'd be wrestlefucked to new heights

As far as a world class striker transitioning to MMA and being very elite for about 5 or 6 years, yes, he is very rare.

A kickboxer that could stop takedowns from Mark Coleman.

Not saying Roy is not special himself but I do not know if he could transition as smoothly to MMA as Mirko did.

Mirko came into MMA with more weapons than Roy would have and Mirko developed super takedown defense faster than Roy likely would have.
Do you not feel someone as talented as Roy coming in his prime that he wouldn't of been dominant?

Cro cop got very far with his limited ground game but his ability to keep it standing was great.

I feel like if Roy Jones came to mma at his peak and had a few years training ground he would of been a absolute freak.

I guess with mirko having success like he did being a crossover star its pretty amazing, just can't believe his ufc run....

If he entered into this era, I can see him having severe issues with USADA.

His prime? Middleweight?

Sure but he was a beast at light heavyweight, which went up to 180 and he would need to put on some muscle for grappling.

He defended the LHW belt 14 times before Tarver.

isnt lhw in boxing 175 pounds?

First off, dumb thread ts. Way too many variable.

How you gonna judge a fighter's capability to handle adversity when all the adversity in their career came after he should have been stopped fighting. He wasn't the same fighter after coming back down from HW.
You outta yo mind, RJJ's mentality was fine.

Having watched many of his fights, I dont buy the "he was done" argument. Roy was still lightning fast and had great reflexes. He simply fought differently. I dont feel like looking at the stats but he threw so few punches in the Johnson fight...he was shook. When he fought Tarver again and Lacy, even Calzaghe, he showed his speed. But he had ZERO chin. He was put down and hurt with shots because guys realized they could bully him.

Had great takedown defense in his fight against Virgil Hill....oh, wait...

thanks good he stayed @boxing <3

thank-you-based-god-o.gif

Having watched many of his fights, I dont buy the "he was done" argument. Roy was still lightning fast and had great reflexes. He simply fought differently. I dont feel like looking at the stats but he threw so few punches in the Johnson fight...he was shook. When he fought Tarver again and Lacy, even Calzaghe, he showed his speed. But he had ZERO chin. He was put down and hurt with shots because guys realized they could bully him.

his reflexes were done, sure he was fast, but he wasn't roy jones fast. You may not buy it, but that doesn't mean it aint true.

Hell yea he would, itll be very hard to take him down if he learn tddd. He reflex was cat like. People act like learning tdd is hard or something, Wonderboy started off with no tdd now hes one of the best at it.

Back