Rousey Barred To Death

She's great in two aspects of the game.
Who cares if she can't strike? She does it well enough to close the distance.

Shields still can't strike after like 10 years and he's done fine.

''She needs to beat someone like Gina Carano". Yeah, Gina was a top level fighter and Ronda can't be legit without a win over her...

I must ask, is it true? That Rousey went 10-0 at the 145lb weight class, and before she gets a title shot in that weight class, she moves to a lower weight (135lb)...? please! only the real MMA analyticals need apply.

Last edited:
she's heavily hyped up, and IMO has not earned herself the spot that she has now, but that being said we don't know if she's a one trick pony, just because she's dominating everyone quickly with her judo and Arm bar doesn't mean she isn't a solid striker or a complete ground fighter either,

Before I start giving Rousey her just doo...would someone explain to me, why would a fighter who goes 10-0 in a weight class and before she gets a title shot in that weight class, she moves to a lower weight...? please! only the real MMA analyticals need apply.

2 reasons.

First - She thought a fight vs a "cute" Meisha Tate would be something that would sell well and advance her career (It did).

Second - An eventual clash with Cyborg at 135 instead of 145 would involve Ronda dropping 10 lbs of babyfat and Cyborg dropping 10 lbs of roid muscles (It will).

Just because Rousey is highly advanced in grappling and TDs doesn't mean she is just sitting around not expanding her skills.

She has shown to be a VERY highly trained, and highly motivated martial artist. She has the wherewithal to train with strong MMA camps and clearly knows the potential if she stays on top of her game.

Why would you think she is just sitting around twiddling her thumbs and not working on her weak areas.

I can see her being around a long time as long as they can keep coming up with competitors for her.

People seem to miss the fact that she isn't winning by anything else because she isn't forced to win by anything else. No one can keep her standing. That's the very definition of a great fighter, she's doing exactly what she wants to every fight

That Rousey went 10-0 at the 145lb weight class, and before she gets a title shot in that weight class, she moves to a lower weight (135lb)...? please! only the real MMA analyticals need apply.
She was 3-0 as an amateur, then 2-0 as a pro before signing to Strikeforce, then 2-0 at 145 in Strikeforce. She switched to 135 because she wasn't ready for Cyborg (her statement) and stayed there after Cyborg was caught cheating because 135 is where the talent pool, opportunity and money is. Now she has the leverage to force Cyborg to come down to 135 so there is no motivation for her to move back up.

i think all this talk about wmaa can only be a good thing for the sport.a year ago no one really gave a shit.

Why are people mentioning Carano? She's building a film career that will earn her several times more per film than her MMA career could ever accrue for her.

OP's point of saying Rousey needs x or y to be truly marketable doesn't make much sense when you consider the fact that she's got an entire UFC division made for her and people won't stfu about her.

The problem with your thesis TS is that there aren't really any great strikers out there in WMMA. At least not any that are guaranteed to catch Rousey coming in. You really think Gina is going to avoid grappling with Rousey. Highly unlikely. Sure anybody can lose, but Rousey is an Olympic level grappler while most of these ladies have never competed in anything other then amateur MMA events. There's a reason she's getting that armbar even though every one of her opponents knows it's coming.

Hmm, if you think Rousey is a one-trick pony then when she faces a well-rounded MMArtist like Cyborg, you should bet the farm against her. You totally got this.

P.S. "Georges' knee is good. Trust me bro... you should bet $15,000 on him." Sunday morning retroactive bets FTW

People seem to miss the fact that she isn't winning by anything else because she isn't forced to win by anything else. No one can keep her standing. That's the very definition of a great fighter, she's doing exactly what she wants to every fight

That's right. People didn't bitch when Liddell beat guys the same way every time.

Forget it! Gina isn't fighting again...she's found her niche in acting, and a pretty good actress-I must say. She making very good money without the blood sweat and tears.

Good for her.

Sick of Honda. Can't wait for Cyborg to cut out the roids and TKO that one trick pony.

Back