Rose Namajunas vs. Michelle Waterson Set For UFC Fight Night Kansas City (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
thats a good fight, and a really tough one to pick imo

Michelle is more experienced..... Rose has the size and reach(and may be a bit faster).

Im on the fence, just hoping for a good fight

She lacks heart. Waterson should be primed for a title shot after a win here
I don't disagree with you assessment necessarily... I'm just more perplexed how we both can be Machida's #1 fan:)

Watch her TUF 20 fights, if you haven't, and you may understand the attitude of the UFC better. Some were even talking about her as the new Ronda Rousey at that time (back when that meant something good).

Before that, Rose had a submission of the year (beating out Ronda Rousey) for a 12 second finish by flying armbar.

I did watch that season of TUF. That was the season of crying when you win or lose pretty much every fight, but a good season none the less. That armbar was just shy of 4 years ago and followed up by a loss. Since that armbar she's 3-3, which pretty much helps my point.

She's a fine fighter, but a highlight reel finish from 4 years ago followed up by mediocrity can't be what keeps getting her fights.

And who cares if Dana said he thought they found the next Ronda at that time. Dana says a lot of nonsense. He's was clearly wrong.

I once thought I was gonna be the next Michael Jordan. I also thought I was gonna be a doctor or an astronaut. Turns out I was wrong on both accounts. People's assumptions are wrong sometimes. Should I still be treated like Michael Jordan, a doctor and an astronaut in spite of that?

For a second I thought that was a joanna jedrzejczyk shoop (saw it on my phone and wasn't wearing my glasses)...

I've been saving that gif for 3 years in the hope that Rose would one day fight Michelle.

I may be bat shit insane.

Idk about boring. I think both of them are pretty entertaining.

lol. as do i.

i think it is a good matchup and a good test for two very tough and skilled fighters.

thug rose is tough as nails and waterson is as well.

i feel like i am missing something in this thread.

Waterson by UD.

Terrible matchmaking IMO. Both should eventually get a title shot but now one will be set back.

I think so too. Rose Grasso and Saurez (& PVZ, but the other 3 are much better)
need more time to develop as fighters. I would've given Waterson a fight vs Moroz.

Rose should've gotten Amanda Bobby Cooper or A
I'm gonna be honest with yuh- I kinda can't understand why Rose is getting this fight. She's 3-2 in the UFC, 5-3 professionally. Just seems strange to keep rewarding someone with a nearly .500 record. She's generally pretty entertaining, but it's still strange to me.

Rose still has a bright future, and she's anal one of the divisions big names. She's under 25 and top 10 in the world. What she needs now is like 4-5 fights against top 15-25 fighters.

Rose talks about training with Valentina Shevchenko (along with other subjects of discussion). It seems that Rose's toughness was very important to her having been able to sustain training hard with Valentina throughout an entire fight camp. As Rose put it (about Valentina vs. training partners): "She breaks all of her toys."

Rose still has a bright future, and she's anal one of the divisions big names. She's under 25 and top 10 in the world. What she needs now is like 4-5 fights against top 15-25 fighters.

Wanna know how I know what you've been looking up?

Rose talks about training with Valentina Shevchenko (along with other subjects of discussion). It seems that Rose's toughness was very important to her having been able to sustain training hard with Valentina throughout an entire fight camp. As Rose put it (about Valentina vs. training partners): "She breaks all of her toys."

Damn, now I'm really excited to know how much Rose has powered up after her training from hell.

So it's confirmed as the main event, as it should have been in the first place!

Rose and Michelle talking smack.

Kinda.

(Michelle's subtle burn of Paige is the best part)

Waterson achieved a 15 second flying armbar finish in 2010.

Namajunas achieved a 12 second flying armbar finish in 2013.

Will one dare to fly against the other to settle who is the queen of flying armbar finishes?!

Waterson will probably submit Rose if this goes to the ground. I'm quite confident in that. Rose took 5 rounds to do what Michelle did in 3 minutes against Paige.

I recall Rose saying that, in that fight, she was under instructions from her coach to take her time, be cautious, and not push for a quick finish. It was an exercise in resisting all reckless urges. Reckless urges have been something that Rose has sometimes been prone to. That time against Paige, she was told to wait for a finish to present itself, rather than to try to make one happen. And so she fought very soundly and safely, rather than urgently looking for the finish.

Because of that, the mere fact that Rose took much longer to finish Paige than Michelle did, may not mean as much as you suggest it does.

Last edited:
Back