Rose Namajunas vs Joanna Jedrzejczyk 2

So pointless. At most, I think she could survive up to round 2 or 3, if she really plays the back peddle game to the tee, but her hands and defense just aren't advanced anough for Rose.

Rose just had her number, style wise, and probably always will, unless she caught her with a bomb.

She's earned a rm, but I really wish she she fought someone else first. It never seems to be a good idea they think somehow the loss was a fluke and end up getting whooped even worse. Settle down, pick up a win and analize what really happened.

Exactly. You don't just improve on what got you knocked out within a training camp. It usually takes fighters half a career to improve enough to make it a good match, and most of the time, not even, because they just don't have the style to beat that opponent.

What was her "situation"?

Right here is her situation:

Rose-Namajunas-def-Joanna-Jedrzejczyk-via-KO-Punches-part-2.gif

You mean Joanna just lost to Rose.

Andrade is coming off a win over Claudia, who was the second best fighter in that division and she hasn't fought Rose yet. This is the fight to make. Tecia already lost to Rose.

Best case scenario for Joanna is this, in my opinion-

1- Andrade is announced as the next title shot for Rose.
2- Andrade proves stylistically problematic for Rose and beats her.

At that point, you then have a justification for Joanna getting the title shot even coming off a vicious loss. She did, after all, defeat Andrade and it was not even close. Also, with Rose having lost the belt, you'd have the scenario where only the Tecia/Waterson winner (particularly if it's Tecia) or Calvillo if she beats Carla or Felice if she is particularly impressive in a prospective victory over Casey as people with potential claims to a shot. UFC would almost assuredly hedge their bets on a Joanna title fight over any of the others, unless, as mentioned, one was highly impressive or dominant in victory.

an instant rematch doesnt go well for the one that got ktfo a few months ago. Joanna is 30 and she has taken a considerable amount of damage lately while Rose is 5 years younger and fresh like a lettuce. I dislike Joanna a lot but even putting that hate aside i just dont see how she wins this.

I think people are making a lot of broad statements regarding how the rematch plays out based on a few minutes of sharp, impressive, destruction via Rose. The fact is though, based on what we've seen from Joanna against some highly credible fighters like Andrade, Clauida, and KK, I think it's tough to be overly confident in how a rematch plays out.

Maybe the best version of Rose is and always will be better than Joanna. Maybe Rose is the worst stylstic matchup out there for her. But maybe also Rose doesn't land the vicious shots she did in the first bout and Joanna beats her up in the clinch and wears her down over five with superior cardio (not doubting Rose's own conditioning as she tooled Paige for 23 minutes but we know Joanna can go at a nasty clip in a fight that doesn't start as completely one sided).

My basic feeling is that the most problematic part of the Rose matchup for Joanna is that Rose is one of those blood in the water type fighters who will really go for the kill when she is in a position to do so. Joanna, in turn, seems prone to getting wobbled or hurt at this stage.

Factor in one other element- the type of fight Joanna likes is the type of fight that leaves her vulnerable to eventually getting shut down. If she were someone who mixed in grappling with her striking then Rose might never get traction or have more to worry about. But because Joanna single-mindedly uses her grappling defensively, Rose really could be losing a one-sided striking match to Joanna's volume but eventually, over the course of a prolonged fight, land the bomb she needs to floor Joanna and then pounce.

That said, I have faith in Joanna's ability to learn and come back from adversity. Interested to see how a rematch
plays out and I don't emphatically see it as a Rose win despite how awesome she did in the first fight.

an instant rematch doesnt go well for the one that got ktfo a few months ago. Joanna is 30 and she has taken a considerable amount of damage lately while Rose is 5 years younger and fresh like a lettuce. I dislike Joanna a lot but even putting that hate aside i just dont see how she wins this.

that's the only way dominant champion privilege works... you have to give them a title shot immediately after they lose since they were so dominant, any loss could very well be a fluke from the amount of times they defend their titles.

I think Joana lights Rose up.

I think people are making a lot of broad statements regarding how the rematch plays out based on a few minutes of sharp, impressive, destruction via Rose. The fact is though, based on what we've seen from Joanna against some highly credible fighters like Andrade, Clauida, and KK, I think it's tough to be overly confident in how a rematch plays out.

Maybe the best version of Rose is and always will be better than Joanna. Maybe Rose is the worst stylstic matchup out there for her. But maybe also Rose doesn't land the vicious shots she did in the first bout and Joanna beats her up in the clinch and wears her down over five with superior cardio (not doubting Rose's own conditioning as she tooled Paige for 23 minutes but we know Joanna can go at a nasty clip in a fight that doesn't start as completely one sided).

My basic feeling is that the most problematic part of the Rose matchup for Joanna is that Rose is one of those blood in the water type fighters who will really go for the kill when she is in a position to do so. Joanna, in turn, seems prone to getting wobbled or hurt at this stage.

Factor in one other element- the type of fight Joanna likes is the type of fight that leaves her vulnerable to eventually getting shut down. If she were someone who mixed in grappling with her striking then Rose might never get traction or have more to worry about. But because Joanna single-mindedly uses her grappling defensively, Rose really could be losing a one-sided striking match to Joanna's volume but eventually, over the course of a prolonged fight, land the bomb she needs to floor Joanna and then pounce.

That said, I have faith in Joanna's ability to learn and come back from adversity. Interested to see how a rematch
plays out and I don't emphatically see it as a Rose win despite how awesome she did in the first fight.

you have good points, lets see what happens.....ill bump this after the rematch....

you have good points, lets see what happens.....ill bump this after the rematch....

What seems clear to me is that not many people felt Rose had much of a chance initially but now a ton of people feel she will beat Joanna in the rematch. And it makes sense. We have the evidence. We saw what happened when they met.

That being said, it was so quick and vicious that it's tough to tell how the fight plays out if Rose doesn't get the finish early on in the rematch. Should be a compelling fight.

sure like last tim....oh wait.

I did say "I think", which communicates modesty in my opinion.

I assess Joana to be a superior fighter to Thug Rose.

In some cases, a fighter who's evidently superior can still lose to the fighter who is less skilled- but when you match them up against each other multiple times, the skilled fighter ends up winning more of the fights between them - JDS vs. Cain rivalry is a great example of this.

I did say "I think", which communicates modesty in my opinion.

I assess Joana to be a superior fighter to Thug Rose.

In some cases, a fighter who's evidently superior can still lose to the fighter who is less skilled- but when you match them up against each other multiple times, the skilled fighter ends up winning more of the fights between them - JDS vs. Cain rivalry is a great example of this.
Cain was coming off a huge lay off and was carrying massive ring rust, he mopped the floor with JDS because he is a better fighter and a bad matchup. Joana didnt have any ring rust or bad injuries.... Imo she gets smashed again.

List of legit contenders:
1. Joanna
2. Andrade

Gadelha and Kowalkiewicz in one more win away.

Amazing post mate thanks for the read.

People act as if it wasn't competitive before the initial knockdown.

In fact there is a strong argument Joanna was slightly edging her out before the big right hand.

I think there is a strong argument for saying that nothing that happened before the initial knockdown was very significant from a judge's scorecard perspective. Rose was mostly using feints and elusive footwork to tempt the usually quite accurate Joanna to miss with most of her attempted strikes. At the same time, Rose was calibrating her own sense of distance. None of these activities will directly affect judges' scorecards much, if at all. From the judges' perspective, I'd say that things were mostly uneventful during the ~2 minutes before the initial knockdown, and any talk of "edging out" or "competitive" during this time is really not too meaningful. What was most meaningful during this time was just the way that Rose was setting up Joanna to be vulnerable.

Nobody "deserves" it more than Joanna. It's a division without a clear contender so give it to the long reigning Champ who'll actually sell the thing.

If you like Rose, as I do, and want to see her become a big star, the last thing she needs is someone like Andrade who's going to mirror that boring "respectful martial artist" routine.

Someone has to play the heel if you want casual fans (the paying fans) to care about the result.
Joanna doesn't "deserve" anything. She's been a can crushing decision machine and even though she got promotion just by being around Ronda back in the day no one cares about her. Despite all her trash talk she is NOT a draw. She's no bigger PPV star then any other can in the division.

Back