Rory vs Daley shows how good Lawler is..

Daley wouldn't even sniff the top 15 rankings in the UFC. that's right, he would be far below Matt Brown - albeit, he might beat Brown because Brown would probably stand and bang with him.

regardless, this fight was the equivalent of Jacare v Camozzi. putting any grander meaning onto it is ridiculous.

i mean yes, UFC has better fighters and Lawler is very good. but that's axiomatic. and if it took Rory v Daley for you to grasp that, you should go watch Nascar, because MMA and right turns are too complex for your brain.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but when was the last time that Daley beat somebody with a pulse?

The overreaction to that win is fucking bizarre.
Agree. Brennan Ward is inconsistent to say the least. It was a beautiful KO, but that's the same guy The Barncat ran over.

nah if anything just shows that Daley is who is i think barely top30 fighting a real top5 guy.

Right, we've seen in the fight game that sometimes the better fighter can lose. Also, at this point if they rematched I'd be relatively confident Rory would win. The first 2 fights were close and competitive as it is.
Rory fought dumb fights against Robbie.

Daley sucks at grappling , easy style match up for Rory.

So everyone can have that type/quality of performance vs. Daley?

Like Koscheck, Woodley, and other good wrestlers?

Look at the fight. Rory smacked him up, the moment Daley got aggressive he was countered and put on his back.

It was a high quality mma performance. Even if Daley is the worst fighter ever.
I only watched the fight once, but I remember Rory landing a clean over hand right, early. Also a headkick. He had Daley wherever he wanted him. I think it's awesome that Rory is going back to his grappling roots. I think people forget how dominate he was, before he started fighting with a more kickboxing heavy strategy.

It just shows that Lawler has a wrestling base, and Daley barely has a ground game.

It really only shows that Daley has shit takedown defence and even shitter bjj . Daley could just as well ko lawler because it would be a standup only battle . This sport is crazy and unpredictable

I favor Rory over every welter weight right now.

Wonderboy fight was a combination of fighting too early with a broken nose and bad preparation. He tried to play karate with the karate guy. Rory would tell you the same thing. He has adapted his camp and let his nose heal.

Rory adapts his styles and techniques to his opponents. He went in overly prepared for a karate match and lost to the best at it. These posters want to throw around "out class" and "broken" but watch other Wonderboy fights. They all look the same, relatively, Rory did fine. A rematch would look very different. Maybe he loses, but it's not the same fight.

Rory turned into a head hunter and has fallen in love with putting guys to sleep. Now he's matured.

Keep in mind that Thompson also outgrappled Rory.

Rory, Lawler, Woodley, Wonderboy and Maia.

These are the top 5 WW in the world. These guys can beat each other on any given night.

Just like Romero, Whittaker, Rockhold, Jacare and BISPING.

Fixed.

For all we know, Bisping is roiding like crazy and Yoel Romero is cleaner than a whistle, It wouldn't surprise me at all.

readImage

I honestly think it's a little odd that people who have watched both those fights think they prove Lawler has Rory's number and Rory doesn't have what it takes to beat Lawler.

If either of those fights had gone down just slightly differently, Rory could have won them.

I wonder if Sherdoggers think this way when they actually compete in sports (assuming a few of us do)? Lose a close football game, or a close wrestling match, or even two close competitions in a row and think "Whelp... looks like that team/person is just better. Whatayagonnado?"

Balls bounce. Heads collide. Winds blow. People fall awkwardly, tweak a knee, make a poor choice. That's all part of what competition is. The way something turns out in a single competition isn't the inevitable outcome.

There are odds are at work.

It's nothing for two even fighters to fight twice and have one come on top both times. It's nothing for a fighter with a 60% chance of winning to an opponent's 40% chance to lose twice in a row, even though he's the better fighter who, if you could play it back 100 times, would win 60 of those times.

People act like that would be some type of crazy flukey impossibility. The odds of that happening are literally 16%. Nothing nuts.

The odds of the same fighter winning two in a row against a guy who is dead even with him (a 50/50 fight) are 25%.

This stuff happens in competition all the time.

it's a fight, what does it prove? that Rory is still better than Lawler even though he lost twice? i mean, somebody has to be better, and why not the guy who won twice??

i'm not saying that Lawler is going to beat Rory every single time, but 2 out of 2 ain't bad is it?

also, it wasn't a single outcome. they fought twice and Lawler beat him up pretty good. Rory for what it is worth put up a hell of a fight, but he landed 1 high kick that rocked Lawler. and he was close to finishing him, but Lawler was in the middle of mauling Rory over most of the early rounds.

if we use your logic, NOBODY who wins is actually the better fighter. we have to have them fight 100 tines before we can see who the real one is.

except that's impossible and that's not something any 2 humans can do.

in fighting you usually only have to beat someone the first time you fight and after that 1 fight, whoever won convincingly is considered "the better fighter".

all these things you're talking about are hypothetical impossibilities because nobody is ever going to fight the same person 100 times just to prove they're the best. that's why they get paid to fight, because you're supposed to be at YOUR BEST in that 1 night.

Silly.

Only fight fans believe a 2 competition sample size is enough to give a complete picture.

A research scientist would laugh you out of the lab for that sort of lazy ass analysis.

The 1927 Yankees lost 2 in a row to 4 different teams, 6 different times in 6 different series. They were swept in a 3 game series by Cleveland, and lost the first 3 in a row to Philadelphia in a 6 game series that year.

A small losing streak, even against the same competition doesn't mean shit without context.

In context, the first fight between Rory and Robbie could have gone either way. Rory was winning the second fight, even with a demolished nose, until he just couldn't continue. Take away that one shot that destroyed his nose and he very likely wins that fight.

All of which doesn't prove Rory's the better fighter, either. But it does mean that just citing who won the two fights and acting like that's the only evidence necessary is an oversimplification invoked by overly simple minds.

"take away that one shot that destroyed his nose and very likely wins the fight". i don't know about that, Rory was winning because of volume, but it was clear who was landing the significant shots. Lawler was hurting Rory while Rory wasn't really hurting Lawler back. it also wasn't just one shot, it was one shot that broke his nose but it didn't really effect Rory until Lawler started smashing his nose more and more and more over the course of the fight.

it's like saying take away that one high kick and Rory would've been finished in that same rd he landed it. because that's the only thing that stopped Lawler from closing the show earlier.

i feel like it's disrespectful to Lawler the way people are almost writing off his 2 wins against Rory.

The fights between Edgar and Aldo provided an awful lot more evidence that Aldo is better, at least head to head. That's a lot less clear when watching the fights between Rory and Lawler, unless the only thing you look at is the final outcome. That's all I'm cautioning against. The final outcome doesn't tell the whole story.

so who's better? Wanderlei or Rampage?

"take away that one shot that destroyed his nose and very likely wins the fight". i don't know about that, Rory was winning because of volume, but it was clear who was landing the significant shots. Lawler was hurting Rory while Rory wasn't really hurting Lawler back. it also wasn't just one shot, it was one shot that broke his nose but it didn't really effect Rory until Lawler started smashing his nose more and more and more over the course of the fight.

it's like saying take away that one high kick and Rory would've been finished in that same rd he landed it. because that's the only thing that stopped Lawler from closing the show earlier.

i feel like it's disrespectful to Lawler the way people are almost writing off his 2 wins against Rory.

I'm not writing them off, though. I'm just saying that a win, in and of itself, doesn't prove your better. Even two wins don't.

They were close fights. That's the only point I'm making. It's not at all difficult to imagine Rory having won both.

Overall they're pretty evenly matched. But on Sherdog you're only "evenly matched" if you split fights one and one. It's just a really weird way to look at any sort of competition with as many variables as an MMA fight.

Rory ran through daley like a knife through butter, Lawler was in a war and came out on top vs rory...twice.

Daley is no slouch either, a lotta of douting robbie since is woodley loss but make no mistake he will be back and remind us how good he is.

Daley is a scrub, Lawlor is slightly better than a journeyman in my book, just was on a good run and won a title,

Rory is special, boring but legit.

it's a fight, what does it prove? that Rory is still better than Lawler even though he lost twice? i mean, somebody has to be better, and why not the guy who won twice??

i'm not saying that Lawler is going to beat Rory every single time, but 2 out of 2 ain't bad is it?

also, it wasn't a single outcome. they fought twice and Lawler beat him up pretty good. Rory for what it is worth put up a hell of a fight, but he landed 1 high kick that rocked Lawler. and he was close to finishing him, but Lawler was in the middle of mauling Rory over most of the early rounds.

if we use your logic, NOBODY who wins is actually the better fighter. we have to have them fight 100 tines before we can see who the real one is.

except that's impossible and that's not something any 2 humans can do.

in fighting you usually only have to beat someone the first time you fight and after that 1 fight, whoever won convincingly is considered "the better fighter".

all these things you're talking about are hypothetical impossibilities because nobody is ever going to fight the same person 100 times just to prove they're the best. that's why they get paid to fight, because you're supposed to be at YOUR BEST in that 1 night.

No one is arguing that they need to fight 100 times. All I'm arguing is that you don't watch sporting competitions to see who is "better."

You watch athletic competitions to see who wins.

Sometimes that amounts to the same thing. But it's not always the same thing.

Pretty much every fan of every other sport recognizes this... except for prize fight fans.

1st fight I give him that, but in the 2nd fight, Rory was on his way to winning the belt. He got his nose shattered and Robbie won, not taking anything away from him, but Rory is a better fighter than he is.

Rory is the best WW in the world. He has 1 real bad stylistic matchup vs him though in UFC 170 lb division and that's Wonderboy.
No. Plenty of fighters were losing before they won. Gus isnt better than jones. Robbie is also a tough matchup for rory

Back