Rory Mcdonald vs Darren Till

I disagree. I haven't seen any changes to Woodley's style since he fought Rory. If anything, he has become less active in the cage. He got in a good clean shot on Lawler and then had a perfect stylistic matchup twice with Wonderboy, a guy that isn't much more active than him and relies on counterpunching. Then he fought Maia who tried to wrestle him for 25 minutes.

Rory beats him again all day.

I have to agree. I dont think Woodley has gotten much better since he fought Rory

I disagree. I haven't seen any changes to Woodley's style since he fought Rory. If anything, he has become less active in the cage. He got in a good clean shot on Lawler and then had a perfect stylistic matchup twice with Wonderboy, a guy that isn't much more active than him and relies on counterpunching. Then he fought Maia who tried to wrestle him for 25 minutes.

Fair enough, but I don't think you can just brush his win over Lawler, the same guy who beat Rory twice, under the rug. I also don't know how a power puncher fighting a counter puncher is "the perfect match up". Please elaborate.

I like both of them and they both annoy the shit out of me when they just have one of those fights when they get caught in the headlights and struggle to impose themselves on the fight.

I think it would be close, but Woddley is just much better at sticking to his gameplan now and would get it done.

Fair enough, but I don't think you can just brush his win over Lawler, the same guy who beat Rory twice, under the rug. I also don't know how a power puncher fighting a counter puncher is "the perfect match up". Please elaborate.

I like both of them and they both annoy the shit out of me when they just have one of those fights when they get caught in the headlights and struggle to impose themselves on the fight.

I think it would be close, but Woddley is just much better at sticking to his gameplan now and would get it done.

Power puncher vs. counter striker is ideal for a couple of reasons.

Woodley has never relied on volume to score damage, he sits and waits for the perfect shot. Rory beat him because he literally swarmed him with volume and aggression and never let him set up a big punch. Wonderboy, sits back and picks shots, darts in and out to score points. Woodley caught Wonderboy in their first fight with a big shot when he was darting in and out. Wonderboy actually should have won their first fight based on UFC scoring and fight metric but Woodley nearly finishing him in one of the few exchanges in the fight is what led to a draw. The second fight was much the same as the first, Wonderboy darting in and out, Woodley waiting to counter with big shots.

Like I said a perfect matchup for Woodley. Marquart beat Woodley the same way Rory did. He swarmed him from the get go with shots, didn't allow him to sit back and land a big punch.

Rory - Lawler was stylistically a great fight for Lawler. He sucked Rory into a slugfest on multiple ocassions. Rory typically fights at the speed of his opponent. If they are passive (like his fight with Wonderboy), he is too. When they are aggressive (like Lawler) he digs in.

Rory was ahead on the cards in their second fight before his nose gave out. He simply took too much damage. Their first fight one judge had Rory winning it. Close fight

Last edited:
Till is another Tom Breese. He's going to get his ass kicked and then disappear like loser English people do.

Power puncher vs. counter striker is ideal for a couple of reasons.

1. Woodley has never relied on volume to score damage, he sits and waits for the perfect shot. Rory beat him because he literally swarmed him with volume and aggression and never let him set up a big punch. Wonderboy, sits back and picks shots, darts in and out to score points. Woodley caught Wonderboy in their first fight with a big shot when he was darting in and out. Wonderboy actually should have won their first fight based on UFC scoring and fight metric but Woodley nearly finishing him in one of the few exchanges in the fight is what led to a draw. The second fight was much the same as the first, Wonderboy darting in and out, Woodley waiting to counter with big shots.

Like I said a perfect matchup for Woodley. Marquart beat Woodley the same way Rory did. He swarmed him from the get go with shots, didn't allow him to sit back and land a big punch.

Rory - Lawler was stylistically a great fight for Lawler. He sucked Rory into a slugfest on multiple ocassions. Rory typically fights at the speed of his opponent. If they are passive (like his fight with Wonderboy), he is too. When they are aggressive (like Lawler) he digs in.

Rory was ahead on the cards in their second fight before his nose gave out. He simply took too much damage. Their first fight one judge had Rory winning it. Close fight

Mate, not trying to be a dick here, you seem like a level headed dude, but nobody ever really says a counter puncher is a good match up for a power puncher.

You don't give any good reasons for why it's a good match up. You even start with "1." then talk about how Rory beat Tyron by swarming him, which isn't particularly relevant, then don't list your second or third points. Just because swarming him worked twice (even though once was 6 years ago) doesn't mean that a counter puncher is a perfect match up for him.

On your last paragraph, taking too much damage usually means you're not fighting well. It's not like it was one shot either, it was an accumulation. Lawler beat him into a living death.

Rory is a phenomenal fighter, I still can’t believe the UFC allowed him and Mousasi to leave. Both could easily be champions in their divisions.

Btw, Lawler was definitely using back then.

Wasn’t USADA being used at the time of those fights ?

<34>

This Till hype is getting out of control. How exactly would he fuck Rory up?

It's nuts. It literally takes one (1) notable win for a young fighter to be considered unbeatable around here. It's the same with Ortega. People just seem to think that they will steam through anybody now.
I'm a fan of Till and since im european i have followed him since before his UFC debut, but i seriously question wether the common sherbro has seen anything more than the Cerrone fight.

Mate, not trying to be a dick here, you seem like a level headed dude, but nobody ever really says a counter puncher is a good match up for a power puncher.

You don't give any good reasons for why it's a good match up. You even start with "1." then talk about how Rory beat Tyron by swarming him, which isn't particularly relevant, then don't list your second or third points. Just because swarming him worked twice (even though once was 6 years ago) doesn't mean that a counter puncher is a perfect match up for him.

On your last paragraph, taking too much damage usually means you're not fighting well. It's not like it was one shot either, it was an accumulation. Lawler beat him into a living death.

At work, hard to add content :)

Woodley is statistically one of the lowest throwing guys at 170. However, he hits like a truck. The two guys that have soundly beat him (in the last 6 years as you pointed out) used exactly the same strategy to do it.

The guys Woodley has beat since his loss to Marquart have either been way past their prime (Koschek, Hieron, Condit), not very good (Dong) or close fights (Gastelum, and Wonderboy twice). Where he dominated is where he got to fight the way he wants to fight, ie sit and wait to land a big shot. Didn't work against Maia because Maia for some reason thought spamming takedowns against a wrestler like Woodley would work).

Re Lawler and Rory, like I said, Rory was ahead both times on the scorecards, Lawler is simply the heavier hitter of the two and Rory seemed quite content to stand in the pocket and trade. Personally I thought it would have been smarter if he went for a few more takedowns but then we would have missed out on a glorious slugfest.

Wonderboy was woodley's worst matchup. Thats what everyone said before their first fight.

I think the Lawler fight really set him back.
He was definitely a shell of his former self against Wonderboy.
His first Bellator fight I'd say he looked better but still gun-shy.
Against Lima he was better again.
I think in another fight or two he'll be fully back and look like the best WW in the world.

Woodley is statistically one of the lowest throwing guys at 170. However, he hits like a truck. The two guys that have soundly beat him (in the last 6 years as you pointed out) used exactly the same strategy to do it.

The guys Woodley has beat since his loss to Marquart have either been way past their prime (Koschek, Hieron, Condit), not very good (Dong) or close fights (Gastelum, and Wonderboy twice). Where he dominated is where he got to fight the way he wants to fight, ie sit and wait to land a big shot. Didn't work against Maia because Maia for some reason thought spamming takedowns against a wrestler like Woodley would work).

Re Lawler and Rory, like I said, Rory was ahead both times on the scorecards, Lawler is simply the heavier hitter of the two and Rory seemed quite content to stand in the pocket and trade. Personally I thought it would have been smarter if he went for a few more takedowns but then we would have missed out on a glorious slugfest.
No lol. Rory couldnt take him down as he pleased. Thats why his face got pummeled in with heavy shots. Lawler made him his bitch. Lawler has incredible take down defense. He gets back uo very quickly too.

Wonderboy isn't the perfect match for a power puncher. If he was, he wouldn't have beaten Whittaker, Hendricks, Ellenberger and Cote. All guys who rely on power punching and got tooled against an educated counter puncher. Woodley got it done and almost finished him twice. Most on here thought Woodley would get embarrassed by WB too.

Dong is 7-2 in his last 9 fights and his only losses have been to top guys. Hardly "not very good".

Maia was on a tear before he lost to Woodley, another fight where many thought he'd lose, but Woodley got it done there too.n Why did Maia "spam takedowns"? Because it worked in his previous 7 fights where he dominated everyone.

From how far you're sticking your neck out to discredit Woodley, I can only assume that you really don't like him. All I was saying is that the fight would be close, but I think Woodley would win.

<34>

This Till hype is getting out of control. How exactly would he fuck Rory up?
<DontBelieve1>

Rory would put Till on his back and proceed to unload some GnP..

There are levels to this.. Till could very well be there soon enough, but
Rory is too well rounded for him at this point in their respective careers.

I agree that Till is being hyped and that it may backfire. But right now he looks sharp as fuck. I wouldn't say it's all hype.

He is young, skilled, huge, sharp reflexes and looks like he takes fighting seriously.

When they move you across the world at a young age, there is nothing left to do but train like a motherfucker.

As for Rory, yes he is a elite level fighter and well rounded and all, but his mileage... too many battles.

His every fight is like Cain vs JDS...

This wouldn't be Prime Rory vs Prime Till.

Wonderboy isn't the perfect match for a power puncher. If he was, he wouldn't have beaten Whittaker, Hendricks, Ellenberger and Cote. All guys who rely on power punching and got tooled against an educated counter puncher. Woodley got it done and almost finished him twice. Most on here thought Woodley would get embarrassed by WB too.

Dong is 7-2 in his last 9 fights and his only losses have been to top guys. Hardly "not very good".

Maia was on a tear before he lost to Woodley, another fight where many thought he'd lose, but Woodley got it done there too.n Why did Maia "spam takedowns"? Because it worked in his previous 7 fights where he dominated everyone.

From how far you're sticking your neck out to discredit Woodley, I can only assume that you really don't like him. All I was saying is that the fight would be close, but I think Woodley would win.

I don't dislike Woodley. Its more an exercise in frustration watching the guy fight. He has the tools to be a great fighter and yet he sits with his back against the fence, throwing 8-10 punches a round. It's just bizarre.

Dong Hyun Kim doesn't have a single top 10 win on his resume. Sorry but beating mid level guys doesn't make you great. To date his best win is Saffedine, a guy that came into their fight 1-2 in his last 3 and then lost again after his fight with Kim.

Maia's tear as you call it was a 7 fight win streak over some tough guys but none of them had the wrestling chops to hold off his takedowns. Brown is probably the best grappler of the group that he fought and he got taken down in every round.

If you look at Maia's last 4 losses, they were to 4 guys that had great wrestling, Covington, Woodley, Shields, and Rory.

Maia "spammed" takedowns against Woodley because its his fighting style. Going up against a wrestler of Woodley's calibre, clearly he should have had a different plan.

I hope, that if Rory ever gains the WW Bellator belt and maybe another, say the MW Bellator belt, that he makes a comeback to the UFC and makes an even bigger impact on the WW division.

The guy was good enough to give Lawler two great fights, beat the current champ in Woodley and beat other top WW's when he was in the UFC.

I just hope WME IMG realize that he's a future Canadian market star if and when that happens.
What other "top" ww other then Woodley and maia did he beat

I don't dislike Woodley. Its more an exercise in frustration watching the guy fight. He has the tools to be a great fighter and yet he sits with his back against the fence, throwing 8-10 punches a round. It's just bizarre.

Dong Hyun Kim doesn't have a single top 10 win on his resume. Sorry but beating mid level guys doesn't make you great. To date his best win is Saffedine, a guy that came into their fight 1-2 in his last 3 and then lost again after his fight with Kim.

Maia's tear as you call it was a 7 fight win streak over some tough guys but none of them had the wrestling chops to hold off his takedowns. Brown is probably the best grappler of the group that he fought and he got taken down in every round.

If you look at Maia's last 4 losses, they were to 4 guys that had great wrestling, Covington, Woodley, Shields, and Rory.

Maia "spammed" takedowns against Woodley because its his fighting style. Going up against a wrestler of Woodley's calibre, clearly he should have had a different plan.

Come on bro, if Maia had any other plan, he'd have got KTFO. If he came to stand up, every body would have wondered why he didn;t stick to what got him the title fight.

My main issues with your points were making up the fact that counter punchers are perfect for power punchers and making out that Woodley wouldn't stand a chance against Rory. It would be close.

Till fights and finishes one legit guy on a downswing(Cowboy) and he's god. That was his first finish in like 3 years, did a streak of decisions fighting cans. Needs some years to reach full power. TDD is probably suspect against the top WWs.

Woodley relies on backing himself up to the fence which will be taken advantage of completely(as we have seen) by a disciplined pressure fighter. WB couldn't get it done against Woodley because he doesn't fight well on the lead and Woodley's enormous patience.

Woodley relies on backing himself up to the fence which will be taken advantage of completely(as we have seen) by a disciplined pressure fighter. WB couldn't get it done against Woodley because he doesn't fight well on the lead and Woodley's enormous patience.

Is Lawler not one of the best pressure fighters at WW?

Wonder Boy is a nightmare match up for anyone at WW, any chat of him being a "perfect match" up for Woodley is just hogwash. Never used that word before, but it felt right. Just look at the predictions on here before the fight.

Back