Rory MacDonald vs Ben Askren in UFC Discussion?!?!

Rory has amazing TDD, It's a bad matchup for Ben.

We're talking about a guy who barely beat Jay Hieron. The same Hieron who went 0-4 in the UFC and was finished by GSP and Woodley.
This is true. Hieron’s greatest flaw was his chin tho, and Askren doesn’t have the striking power to dispatch him in the way he typically gets finished. He’s a tough, roundly skilled guy, and most people find him to be a nightmare if they don’t put him away. Hieron has always been celebrated by fighters as being an incredible gym talent.

Ben is a great wrestler and that’s about it. There’s no arguing against that here. If a guy can hang enough with Ben’s wrestling to land some damage, Ben can get himself into trouble.

We're talking about the same Askren who barely beat Jay Hieron. The same Hieron who went 0-4 in the UFC and was finished by GSP and Woodley.
Eggzacery

And GSP while green fought a “prime” herion. Hieron was the favorite in that fight.

Fucking askren barely beats a overthe Hill has been version. Of hieron. That tells you everything.

Rory by whatever.

This is true. Hieron’s greatest flaw was his chin tho, and Askren doesn’t have the striking power to dispatch him in the way he typically gets finished. He’s a tough, roundly skilled guy, and most people find him to be a nightmare if they don’t put him away. Hieron has always been celebrated by fighters as being an incredible gym talent.

Ben is a great wrestler and that’s about it. There’s no arguing against that here. If a guy can hang enough with Ben’s wrestling to land some damage, Ben can get himself into trouble.

He was tko’ed standing by GSP basically. Who has never ko’ed anyone standing. Not a power puncher.

So if a green GSP can knock your head off any top level guy should be able too

He was tko’ed standing by GSP basically. Who has never ko’ed anyone standing. Not a power puncher.

So if a green GSP can knock your head off any top level guy should be able too
GSP hits hard. Heiron has a weak chin. Ben doesn’t hit that hard. GSP set up his sub on Bisping by hurting him on the feet with strikes. Also, Bisping doesn’t have a great chin.

Rory toys with him. Absolute annihilation.

Lol...you must've missed their respective performances against Lima.

Round 1 of Maia-Rory...X5.

If Lima had forced Rory to stand after smashing his leg, rather than pounce on him, he likely would've stopped him.

Ben Askren's face should be on sleeping pill bottles.

Lol...you must've missed their respective performances against Lima.

Round 1 of Maia-Rory...X5.

If Lima had forced Rory to stand after smashing his leg, rather than pounce on him, he likely would've stopped him.
MMA math doesn't work, styles make fights, and Lima is also a much more developed fighter current day.
Rory stuffs all Askrens TDs and pieces him up on the feet, similar to Maia/Rory.

Rory trains with the greatest MMA grappler of all time every day. He's not getting beat on the ground by anyone at WW.

Imo Askren is the most tantalizing option for Rory right now. And I agree that it would be ultimate.

Unfortunately it makes zero sense for Bellator so we're just going to be left with unanswered questions.

MMA math doesn't work, styles make fights, and Lima is also a much more developed fighter current day.
Rory stuffs all Askrens TDs and pieces him up on the feet, similar to Maia/Rory.

Rory trains with the greatest MMA grappler of all time every day. He's not getting beat on the ground by anyone at WW.

Similar to Maia-Rory huh?

Maia had him mounted all of round 1 and took him down while gassed in round 3.

Askren has better TD's, ewual top control, and endless cardio.

Askren 50-45.

YES!!!

Because what’s more ultimate?

This could be one of the absolute premiere best welterweight contests that can be put together. How retired is Askren?

This fight honestly interests more than anything on the table at UFC welterweight right now. I’m sure Bellator is trying to book it. I really don’t know how it would go. Askren has a stifling top game and is an exceptional wrestler, but Rory is very well rounded and may be able to make some moves while avoiding the ground. I think I’ve gotta favor Askren tho, as Rory isn’t a one-punch killer.

Also, it’s been a very long time since a match-up of this magnitude were available possibly outside the UFC. Interesting times on the horizon for Bellator perhaps.

who has askren ever beaten? He's a big fish in a little pond, beating mediocre fighters...lets see him fight the guys rory has fought...he'd get destroyed. What happens when askren can't get wonderboy down...or lawler or woodley...he'd get killed...anyone with a good tdd, will avoid his takedowns.

Are they? I know he’s been brought into Woodley camps and has trained with him at ATT, but he’s been brought in for a lot of fighters camps.
yes they are and Askren said he didn't want to fight woodley because of that reason

Ben takes him down at will

id like to see this fight, i dont care who promotes it.

But id deserves to be the main event. especially over a freak show old timers fight like Rampage vs Sonnen.

what a waste of my life.

Similar to Maia-Rory huh?

Maia had him mounted all of round 1 and took him down while gassed in round 3.

Askren has better TD's, ewual top control, and endless cardio.

Askren 50-45.
<TrumpWrong1>

Also Askren hasn't fought anybody in the top 15-20. Much less a top 5 WW.
He would lose to most top LWs as well.

<TrumpWrong1>

Also Askren hasn't fought anybody in the top 15-20. Much less a top 5 WW.
He would lose to most top LWs as well.

Toyed with the guy Rory went to hell and back with.

Toyed with him.

Also toyed with a guy who dominated Bendo.

He'd TKO Rory via GnP most likely.

Back