Rope in ring variant

jm0b

Puncher of Holes
@Blue
Reaction score
I help out my local club with the kids and I came up with a drill I think is pretty good.

Requires:
Two trainers
Piece of rope
A willing student B)

Both trainers hold either end of the rope head/shoulder height. The boxer will stand in the middle and use it for regular "ducking under" drills.

However with the rope now attached to the trainers, you can introduce quick angle changes whereby the trainer facing the fighter will walk laterally and force the boxer to stay close to the rope while also pivoting etc.

For fighters who love to stalk their opponents it's a great tool to help them visualise the line of action and making sure to get on the right/left hand side of the rope before throwing to encourage their opponent to stop moving that direction.

Similarly for defense you can mix in trainers advancing towards the fighters and cutting the angle simultaneously to force them to pivot in a retreating manner, while also staying at a good distance to throw when they're in an advantageous position.

I'm sure other people do it but I've never personally saw it. It was born out of my frustration of watching fighters not use enough lateral movement.

Any thoughts / opinions / questions welcome!

J

Because of the rope, doing pad work at the same time is awkward.

However a good pad holder will provide scenarios described above to force those kinds of movement anyway.

Back