Roosmalen tight guard defense

nino

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Whats the utility of a tight guard defense like robin van roosmalen?

So you can say "i blocked them all"
18620982_1942088389150266_8444376992491883036_o.jpg

it's very effective at winning Glory titles while getting beat up and outclassed.

So you can say "i blocked them all"
18620982_1942088389150266_8444376992491883036_o.jpg

it's very effective at winning Glory titles while getting beat up and outclassed.

OK we get it HAHA had the good sarcastic comments up front that's to be expected, I also think Petch one, lets move past being bitter for the moment.

He uses the shield defense that many dutch kickboxers use like Holzken and Joe Valentini.

It's easier with big gloves. And with this scoring system, it's effective. Allows you to pressure the opponent, take minimal damage [ in most situations ( dont flame me for this shit ) ] and look for counters. Helps the fighters who want to push the opponent into the ropes and open with combinations.

I remember someone spam threaded about Nieky Holzken's defense in here and the standup forum - and it got some very good responses about the technical details.

I would look for them if you want to learn more about why and how it is used.

Kanka's troll post has a point though. Rvr, Holzken and Kiria all have a habit of gluing their gloves to their face and trying to walk into boxing range.

Kanka's troll post has a point though. Rvr, Holzken and Kiria all have a habit of gluing their gloves to their face and trying to walk into boxing range.

Well it's not a habit - it's their pressure fighting strategy to close range and push opponents into the ropes / corner while absorbing blows to throw their own.

And no, his post didn't. You said more with your post than his, which was 2 pictures and a sarcastic comment.

Well it's not a habit - it's their pressure fighting strategy to close range and push opponents into the ropes / corner while absorbing blows to throw their own.

And no, his post didn't. You said more with your post than his, which was 2 pictures and a sarcastic comment.

a strategy so effective that they need to steal opponents of the win.
when something is so plain to see there is no tech talk needed, rvr has tainted his career no matter where he decides to stick his gloves to....absorb the whooping coming from the legit winners.

the absorbing strategy also did wonders for kiria and grigorian careers.

It seems to be effective under the rules they compete in, but needless to say it's much less technically impressive than defending via movement and footwork.

Grigorian seems to be moving away from this a bit since Yod exploited it.

Would be more difficult with the Cleto's in K-1 :p

Last edited:
And with this scoring system, it's effective.
What scoring system? Glory judges don't always go by their scoring system so this means nothing. Like Pets fight for example. Lets take a look at their scoring.

A. Number of knockdowns. (neither scored a knockdown)

B. Damage inflicted on the opponent. (Pet wons this)

C. Number of clean strikes with spectacular techniques (Pet won this)

D. Number of clean strikes with normal techniques. (Pet won this)

E. Degree of Aggressiveness or Ring Generalship (whichever has greater impact on the round) (Pet's ring generalship had greater impact)

So please explain what do you mean by Roosmalensstyle being effective within Glorys scoring system? All he does is walk forward in a shell, grunts and hits air 90% of the time when it comes to fighting guys like sittichai and Petpanomrung.

What scoring system? Glory judges don't always go by their scoring system so this means nothing. Like Pets fight for example. Lets take a look at their scoring.

A. Number of knockdowns. (neither scored a knockdown)

B. Damage inflicted on the opponent. (Pet wons this)

C. Number of clean strikes with spectacular techniques (Pet won this)

D. Number of clean strikes with normal techniques. (Pet won this)

E. Degree of Aggressiveness or Ring Generalship (whichever has greater impact on the round) (Pet's ring generalship had greater impact)

So please explain what do you mean by Roosmalensstyle being effective within Glorys scoring system? All he does is walk forward in a shell, grunts and hits air 90% of the time when it comes to fighting guys like sittichai and Petpanomrung.

glory scoring system is bullshit because they usually give the fight for who looked more aggressive(Letter E,read this as the guy who trowed more punches in the air) than who made more damage(letter B)

most of their robberies are because of it or about fake knockdowns

glory scoring system is bullshit because they usually give the fight for who looked more aggressive(Letter E,read this as the guy who trowed more punches in the air) than who made more damage(letter B)

most of their robberies are because of it or about fake knockdowns
I just stay confused when it comes to glory judging. Everyone want to throw the judges under the bus and use them as an excuse. Sittichai looked more in control of the first Roosmalen fight than the second yet he lost the first and won the second. Petpanomrung did better against Roosmalen than he did in the contender tournament yet he won the tournament and lost the title fight. Lets just be real for a second its nothing to do with the judges. Its Glory and their corruption!

My post wasn't really a troll post. He just walks forward absorbing shots because he has a tight guard and is well conditioned and can take alot of damage. Whatever comes at him he just keeps his guard tight and counters with a low kick and sometimes punch combinations hoping something connects, rather than being a precision striker.

I think K-1 Max put alot of emphasis on agression and pressure fighting, which is why alot of kickboxing fans still overemphasise it in Glory.

This strategy would not work very well with smaller gloves or in a boxing fight. I think Petpanomrung would beat Robin in a pure boxing fight by controlling the distance better.

Last edited:
I just stay confused when it comes to glory judging. Everyone want to throw the judges under the bus and use them as an excuse. Sittichai looked more in control of the first Roosmalen fight than the second yet he lost the first and won the second. Petpanomrung did better against Roosmalen than he did in the contender tournament yet he won the tournament and lost the title fight. Lets just be real for a second its nothing to do with the judges. Its Glory and their corruption!
You have no facts to back your accusations. Maybe glory is corrupt, maybe not, but all we know is the judges made bad decisions. So yeah let's just keep it real for a second and conclude that:

1. The judges sucked

2.Glory isn't clear enough on wether kicks to the arms score or not. To solve all the controversies they should specifically state that damage scores no matter on which part of the body it is inclicted. If kicks to the arms don't score at all however, it should be clear in the scoring criteria.

Robin: I blocked all the kicks with my arms

interviewer: what about all the punches that Petpanomrung threw at you+

Robin: i blocked them with my head

Because the judges sucked.
So you seriously telling me that a professional judge can look at that Pet fight and give it to Roosmalen and you dont think corruption was anything to do with it?

Its to create drama in the division and they did the same thing with sittichai.

So you seriously telling me that a professional judge can look at that Pet fight and give it to Roosmalen and you dont think corruption was anything to do with it?

Its to create drama in the division and they did the same thing with sittichai.
If you look at how they score other fights, they're very inconsisent in how they score rounds... I'm not saying glory is not corrupt, however i can't say that they are either. All we know is the judges and the referees do a horrible job on most events.

To create drama like this intentionally just hurts the Glory brand

Well I guess 99% of people who watched the fight including many of Roosmalens home crowd who booed him know more about scoring kickboxing than the actual paid judges.

Back