Ronin Again

ronin0352

Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat
@Brown
Reaction score
Closed my old log since I haven't posted for over a year in it.:redface: Moving on:

Well, I've been half-assed training here and there. I have a fantastic set up in my garage, but I'm working out of state 20 days out of the month so it's nice when I go home but worthless most of the time. I haven't been able to keep up anything consistent, but I've decided I'm going to now. I can't find the time, but I WILL make the time. I got out my 14 year old mountain bike, cleaned it up, replaced the tubes, etc & got a punch pass for the little gym here in Douglas, WY. Went in today (technically yesterday since it's after midnight) and since I didn't have my logbook I pulled out a little pocket-sized Moleskin notebook I keep in my bag for such things...then I apparently left it at the gym cause I just searched and it didn't make it back to the rig with me. So from memory

Today's work:
Press
45 x 20
85 x 10
115 x 5
135 x 3
150 x 2
165 x 1 x 10
Most work I've done on this since my left shoulder surgery. Didn't feel too bad, but we'll see how it is tomorrow. Also did band pull-aparts in between sets.

Reverse Cable Flyes
25s x 10 x 2
35s x 10 x 2

DB Bench
50s x 10
55s x 10
60s x 10
65s x 10

Asked the guy at the desk if there were any good bike paths around, and he gave me directions to one, so I got in about a 4.5 - 5 mile ride in 15 minutes. The end going back up to my truck was a pretty steep incline. I was breathing a little hard and sweating a bit before that, but after that nice ending I was really sucking wind. Felt good, and I'm going to try to keep up this log to motivate myself this time.

Thanks. Good to see some familiar names around here. Lots of new ones too though.

That's a pretty strong time on the mountain bike. Good luck with training.

best of luck with your training

What are you doing for work now? If I remember correctly you were working on the rigs (as do I). Just being nosy.

Plus, glad to see you back. It's tough trying to maintain consistency on schedules like ours.

Edit: Should read a little better. I see where you mentioned getting back to the rig.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm back to directional drilling...this time with a much better company. I did the same shit before for years, just cookie-cutter stuff. Always asked to be put on other jobs so I could get new experiences and always got passed over for them. Now I'm doing horizontal drilling, re-entry wells, side tracks and all kinds of other stuff they'd never send me on with the other company.

No training today. Thought about doing another little ride or something for active recovery, but there were some work issues when I woke up so I got dressed and started dealing with it...that's life. I'll be doing a small amount of physical work later on, so I guess that will have to suffice for my active recovery.

Thanks for the reply. Did you drill before going directional?

I just swapped over from driller to directional (for BH) a year and half ago and it was really difficult to find time to lift initially. I probably only lifted for 3 months in all of '12. Now I'm fortunate enough to follow a rig, but we're pad drilling (4) 30-60 day wells. Makes it a lot easier to get to the gym, but the home life sucks.

Keep after it, buddy.

Yeah, I drilled for Nabors for a couple years. Had several offers to go pushing, but talked to a few pushers who said their pay only went up about $40/month and that just wasn't worth it to me so I went directional. How is BH to work for? I'm with WFT now, and I really like it, but I was with SDI before and got screwed by the coordinator more times than I can count.

DL
135 x 10
225 x 5
315 x 5
415 x 5 x 3

Grip was definitely the limiting factor today. Forgot my gym bag at home and didn't have any chalk, resin, or anything else to help...hell, I'd have used straps if I had em.

GM
225 x 8
245 x 8
265 x 8

Bike ride
~3.5 miles in roughly 12 minutes. Forgot to stop my stopwatch at the end...didn't remember til I was driving back to the rig. Skipped the last part of the path today just cause last time that was the worst part for the bugs and was really boring anyway, just led up to a road. The rest of the path runs along the river through town and is a pleasant ride if I actually took the time to enjoy it. Maybe I'll do that Friday.

Yeah, I drilled for Nabors for a couple years. Had several offers to go pushing, but talked to a few pushers who said their pay only went up about $40/month and that just wasn't worth it to me so I went directional. How is BH to work for? I'm with WFT now, and I really like it, but I was with SDI before and got screwed by the coordinator more times than I can count.

BH is ok, my office treats me well but there is way to much bureaucratic BS to deal with. I've been leading for 5 months without a raise due to paperwork hang ups from the main office in Houston.

Never had much interest in pushing tools myself. Drilled for H&P but that directional $$ is just too good.

Don't feel bad. I started with WFT in September, and was promised a raise after a couple wells learning their systems. I was holding my own tour after one well and still haven't got that raise.

Planned to train today. Didn't happen. It kinda works out better this way, I'll train tomorrow and drive home then next day. I would have had to miss a day of training to drive anyway.

So, as is usually the case, life threw me for a loop. I'm now working in Washington County, PA, 1700 miles from home. I haven't been able to find a gym here, and I even googled and drove to Pittsburgh a few days ago to try to find a place to train, but the 2 really promising places that I had written down and went to had both gone out of business. Anyone in this area? Any recommendations?

4 rigs in 3 states in 2 weeks. I should have brought a bar and a few plates with me I guess. This sucks.

Almost 4 fucking years since I posted in my log...nice. A lot has changed, been driving a truck for the last 2 1/2 years since I got laid off from directional work, which does wonders for the training schedule. I also have high blood pressure and am on 3 medications for that. So, my training has changed significantly. Now instead of powerlifting, I'm focusing on GPP while trying to lose weight but without losing too much strength. I started this change at a BW of 323 lbs and also started doing a ketogenic diet. I'm currently down to about 285 lbs and my blood pressure isn't as high anymore, but it's not low enough to get off any of the meds for it. Today felt like a pretty hard workout, but I think that's a combination of the fact that I had a pretty good workout yesterday that left me a little sore, and the fact that I'm at +2000' elevation compared to where I was yesterday. Time to STFU and log

Yesterday's work:

Power Clean - 175 x 3
Squat - 345 x 5
Unilateral DB Bench - 70 x 10​
3 sets with no rest between exercises, enough rest between sets to get HR back down to about 100 bpm

Press - 145 x 5
Unilateral DB Row - 130 x 12/arm
Shoulder external rotations with band x 20/arm​
3 sets, same as above. That will be the format of my workouts unless otherwise noted.

Today:

Deadlift - 405 x 5
Bulgarian Split Squat - 80 x 8/leg
Bent-Over Lateral Raise - 30's x 12​
3 sets

**I fucking HATE those split squats.

Are you doing any kind of LISS in regards to your blood pressure?

20-40 minutes 2-3 times a week with a steady heartbeat of 130-150 would not be a bad idea.

Anyway, welcome back and good luck with the weight loss, and training!

No, I generally walk 3+ miles plus 30 flights of stairs (give or take) when working, but it's not steady state.

I would like to start swimming laps again eventually

7/20
Power cleans - 175 x 3
Squat - 365 x 5
Unilateral DB Press - 47 x 12/arm​
3 sets

BB Row - 285 x 5
Bent-over lateral raises - 20's x 12
External rotations - red band x 25/arm​
3 sets

7/22

Deadlift - 435 x 5
Bench - 235 x 5
DB Row - 130 x 10/arm​
3 sets

Curls
Triceps ext
Bent-over laterals
External rotations​
2 sets, lots of reps (12 to 25 each)

Not much rest. Back at home, so 2000' lower elevation and the HR seems to drop quick

Back