Romero can't get the next title shot - it's unfair to the rest of the division, especially Rockhold

I agree that Romero doesn't deserve it. But everyone else deserves it less.

Yeah getting ko'd 2 times in your last 3 fights means you should get a title shot

Since he stepped up short notice to save the card, he shouldn't get a title shot because it's not fair to the guy he KTFO'D?

Shut the fuck up. If Rocksalt wanted a title shot, he should have used some striking defense.

I get what you´re saying, but why do you call Rockhold for Rocksalt? I get he might had been "salty" earlier, but this time he handled himself with alot of class. When Romero sprinted to him (which he should not had been allowed to) he closed his eyes and shook his head, nodding slightly , giving him props + he tweeted respect and said Romero was made of steel. So he´s definitely handling himself with alot of class. So I wonder why people say this rocksalt etc. Just a joke now thats come to stay or what? Just curious.

I understand the problems that the situation presents. But to those saying Romero should fight once more before a title shot, who is it he should fight according to you? Because at this time there are only Gastelum and Jacare and neither seem to be a good choice.

If Jacare wins, he'll be in a similar situation as Romero having recently lost to Whittaker, but he lost in an even more emphatic fashion than Romero did and he has less top-5 wins than Romero. If he lost, which is not at all unlikely since Romero now knows that he must not blow his load with gnp because Jacare can survive on the ground even when rocked badly, he would be screwed out of a title shot long-term being 0-2 against Yoel (I scored the first fight a draw btw).

If fighting Gastelum, if Romero beats Kelvin, is that really such a meaningful win that at that point we can say Romero can get his title shot whereas he couldn't after ko'ing Rockhold? And what if Gastelum pulls the upset? He certainly shouldn't be close to fighting for the belt. Should Jacare get the shot then coming off a win on Brunson, but having lost to all the other top-3?

It's a mess, but even if it's not ideal to give the shot to a fighter who missed weight, all other options are even less ideal, imo.

Completely agree, we need TRT Belfort back to give him a taste of his own medicine.

Nahhh give it to Yoel. Rockhold is gunna need a lot of time off

He came in overweight. That's the bottom line. For him to get a title shot after missing weight is complete lunacy.

He failed to make the weight, why get a title shot at that weight? He needs to prove that he can come in on weight or this will just happen again.

If anything, Rockhold deserves the next title shot, for bravely fighting an insanely over weight opponent. It's almost exactly like when Woodley refused to fight after Hendricks dropped out of the fight and eventually Woodley got the title shot.
Ur new to sport? UFC gives title shots to fighters coming of losses so giving a title shot to a contender who did the company a favour by fighting Luke on 4 weeks notice isnt anything out of the relm. Yoel got snubed of interim belt money and gave up 30% of hes sallary to Luke. If this was a true pro sport UFC wouldnt even ask fighters to make weight and change opponents on 4 weeks notice.

Fought with a torn pec muscle against Whittaker.

Arguably beat Yoel. Arguably beat Rockhold. Wrecked Brunson (#7 ranked, hardly a gatekeeper). Easily beat Mousasi.

Hendo got a fucking shot. Why can’t Jacare?
Sure, he fought with an injury - which fighter doesn't? Whittaker would have smashed him with or without a torn pec and will have an easier time when Jacare gets his shot. Jacare's marching style is made for Whittaker to counter, he looked no different vs Brunson.

Regardless if he 'arguably beat x', he still lost and it is a loss on his record. I like Jacare, but he needs to fight Weidman, or Rockhold again before he gets a shot.

How isn't Brunson a gatekeeper? He lost to Yoel, Whittaker, Jacare and beat Hall, Machida (well past prime), Kelly, Carneiro and Alvey... hardly a tough and well-matched list of opponents... he always loses to good guys and beats most of the scrubs of MW.

If it weren't for the gay ass interim fight I doubt there's be much criticism. And seriously, 3 pounds on a 185+lb man is nothing. You wouldn't even notice it if a fighter suddenly changed weight in the middle of a fight.

He came in overweight. That's the bottom line. For him to get a title shot after missing weight is complete lunacy.

He failed to make the weight, why get a title shot at that weight? He needs to prove that he can come in on weight or this will just happen again.

If anything, Rockhold deserves the next title shot, for bravely fighting an insanely over weight opponent. It's almost exactly like when Woodley refused to fight after Hendricks dropped out of the fight and eventually Woodley got the title shot.

i agree and disagree.. yoel DOES NOT deserve a title shot, you should not be rewarded for coming in overweight regardless if it was on short notice.. the fact is he did not win a mw fight! he won a lhw fight. this is a very dangerous precedent the ufc is setting here..

rockhold should def NOT get the title shot, the mw division is still a little cloudy but that can be settled in time for when robert is able to fight again.

At this point idgaf

Might as well give CM Punk a title shot after he gets ktfo

It's the first time he's missed weight and he missed it by all of three measly pounds. Taking that and the fact that he took the fight on short notice into account (as well as losing 30% of his purse), then yes, his dominant win over Rockhold should earn him the next shot.

Who else deserves it more? Rockhold who just got knocked the fuck out? Weidman who only just recently ended a three fight losing skid? Gastelum who is on a one fight win streak just like Romero? Jacare who just got finished by the current champion two fights ago?

In his most recent fight he missed weight twice.
so the answer is once and you just jump all over him... Typical. ....

You act like he does not deserve the shot and that this is occurs often. ..

How many times did Yoel miss weight before?

I agree with you; Although in the UFC's eyes it won't cost him a title shot. He koed Rockhold on a fight he stepped into on short notice

Back