Roman thought he was going over.

kmelloh

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Source: Dave Meltzer wrestling observer.

Brock had signed an extension the Sunday before mania but this was not told to Roman until showtime.
Roman flew his family out with thinking he was going over.
The writers told Roman he absolutely couldn’t get over with the fans therefore him winning at Mania would not have been a good idea.
The original plan was to have Roman win by countering a last F5 and pinning Brock.
Backstage there was confusion about the ending, Brock threw the belt at Vince to sell that it was a screw.

Brock Lesnar has made more off Roman's failures than he did as the HW Champion in UFC.

I can lament the fucking up of Roman, Bray, Bayley, Ziggler, American Alpha, etc as incompetence.

But you gotta be a special kind of a cunt to do that to a dude... twice.

LOL @ Brock selling a screw job. Like anyone would believe he gives one iota of a fuck about Roman not going over.

He's going to win in Saudi Arabia where he will get cheered.

I can lament the fucking up of Roman, Bray, Bayley, Ziggler, American Alpha, etc as incompetence.

But you gotta be a special kind of a cunt to do that to a dude... twice.

When I look back at the Shield vs. Wyatt family match from Elimination Chamber 2014 I just can't get over how into the match the fans were. All those guys were super over with the crowd.

I felt like Bray vs. Roman could easily have a headlined a WM by now. Instead he is repeating the same garbage that he did with Cena and subbing in Roman.

I think Roman is very talented and a heel turn would tremendously help his character in the long run. He is still young in his career so they have time.

Overall though this is totally the writers and Vince's fault for screwing this up over the last 4 years.

I think Roman is very talented and a heel turn would tremendously help his character in the long run. He is still young in his career so they have time.

Overall though this is totally the writers and Vince's fault for screwing this up over the last 4 years.

Yep. I'm not a huge Roman fan, but the potential was there. He was loved as a simple silent assassin type, and then word got out that he was the golden boy, and they were going to try and make him John Cena. Now, if that's where the gossip stopped it would be fine, but in that initial Roman push, they really tried to make him into John Cena. In personality and booking. He stumbled through some wise cracking promos, and was booked identically as "against all odds" Cena, with them trying to make you feel sympathy for him by beating him down with mobs, and rising above it all...over and over and over again. The fans saw right through it.

If they had just stayed the course with the dude, and kept his character as the same no nonsense, ass kicking muscle man that he was in The Shield, it might've all worked out. Instead, they ruined his character beyond repair.

People pay to come boo reigns.. It's no big deal. The more they boo, the better.
I'm going to cheer him, loud. This fat virgin slob got mad like a year and a half ago when I cheered reigns. He completely reinforced what I suspected.

When I look back at the Shield vs. Wyatt family match from Elimination Chamber 2014 I just can't get over how into the match the fans were. All those guys were super over with the crowd.

I felt like Bray vs. Roman could easily have a headlined a WM by now. Instead he is repeating the same garbage that he did with Cena and subbing in Roman.

I distribute both praise and blame where it's due and I'll call it 90/10. Roman does have certain limitations. When Cena cut him to pieces, saying, "It's called a promo, Big Dog. If you cant do it by now, youre not The Guy," he had a point. They have botched every possible opportunity to make this happen but Roman hasn't evolved much himself and the face-to-face promo is his weakest point by far. When his wellness policy suspension was thrown in his face, the first thing out of his mouth should've been the first thing through my mind, "And what was the last time you had to piss in a cup, John?" Maybe he can progress but he's been in box (protected or jailed, take your pick.)

His peers say his work ability is top notch. He hasn't put anyone on the shelf (with the possible exception of spearing Shane McMahon's soul out of his body and into ancient Hibernia to commune with his ancestors.) His shit looks smooth and I don't know if I've ever seen a botch that could be laid at his feet. Perhaps a blown save or two but that's fantastic in his four years solo.

And, people can whine about "The Look" carrying weight these days but he does bring that "big fight" feel to a match. They boo his entrance. They boo his promo. They pop for his spots. Brock vs Roman was a great feud because it was Thor vs Hulk without CGI. Roman vs KO was shit because it looked like a bullied kid's wet dream but we were expected to root the other way.

Yep. I'm not a huge Roman fan, but the potential was there. He was loved as a simple silent assassin type, and then word got out that he was the golden boy, and they were going to try and make him John Cena. Now, if that's where the gossip stopped it would be fine, but in that initial Roman push, they really tried to make him into John Cena. In personality and booking. He stumbled through some wise cracking promos, and was booked identically as "against all odds" Cena, with them trying to make you feel sympathy for him by beating him down with mobs, and rising above it all...over and over and over again. The fans saw right through it.

If they had just stayed the course with the dude, and kept his character as the same no nonsense, ass kicking muscle man that he was in The Shield, it might've all worked out. Instead, they ruined his character beyond repair.

The WrestleMania loss to Lesnar after a long, bloody, and physical beating to cap off a month of getting his ass kicked at every turn has completely cut his balls off. Having Samoan Joe roast him the next night put him in a dress. The damage might be irreparable because, even if he goes heel after this, who can see him as a threat? What edge does he have left? He should have gone over at WM (31 or 34) and cut a promo on the fans the very next day. Now, if he wins in Jetta, it's a hand job morning after prom instead of a cherry pop and all it accomplishes is teaching the hijackers that they can get their way.

Last edited:
People pay to come boo reigns.. It's no big deal. The more they boo, the better.
I'm going to cheer him, loud. This fat virgin slob got mad like a year and a half ago when I cheered reigns. He completely reinforced what I suspected.

Reigns doesn’t sell tickets unlike Cena. Take Roman off a card and it will still sell exactly the same.

Source: Meltzer based on audience figures. Cena causes a bump.

I don't like Saudi Arabia much either, but...

<SelenaWow>

Lol! Not those hijackers...
Rite-Edge-Shift-Work-Box-Cutter-Screwdriver-BP-20419-jr-large.jpg

These hijackers...
51zfGKfqiqL._SX723_.jpg

I really should be more sensitive, though. I must have been out of my cotton picking mind!

Reigns doesn’t sell tickets unlike Cena. Take Roman off a card and it will still sell exactly the same.

Roman is in the top 10 for highest selling merchandise, whereas Cena is not. I think Roman's popularity is a little understated.

Roman is in the top 10 for highest selling merchandise, whereas Cena is not. I think Roman's popularity is a little understated.

Roman doesn’t bump ticket sales, Cena does.

RR merch sales might be a result of constant sales and pushes on the store.

Roman doesn’t bump ticket sales, Cena does.

RR merch sales might be a result of constant sales and pushes on the store.

This conversation is going on in Wrestle Forum right now.

Most sources seem to put Cena at #1 with Roman and AJ neck-and-neck for a distant #2. New Day, Rollins, Usos all do well. Ronda, Braun, and Elias have exploded over the past two months.

AJ has 63 items on WWE shop
Finn Balor 61
Roman 41
Seth Rollins 50
Cena has 36

AJ's stuff is pretty nice design. The "P1" logo, in particular, is very mainstream looking.

Roman probably sells assloads of action figures but, with his past two years of chasing titles and failing, he's losing the kids (and their moms) and that doesnt bode well for big dog.

Ticket sales absolutely should jump when Cena, Brock, Ronda, Andre or any other special attraction shows up. When I tune in to RAW, I know Roman's going to be there. I know Braun's going to be there. I know Alexa Bliss and The Miz are going to be there. If I live in Phoenix, WWE comes to town twice a year but Brock hasn't been there in three years. If I want to see him live and in person, that's my shot. I'm more apt to buy that ticket.

Last edited:
Back