Roman Paper Cutter

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In this video I show a variation of the Paper Cutter Choke.

Over the years I've learned that a move is only as good as it's setup or entry. This particular entry has been very successful for me because when it goes wrong it rarely ends with me on the bottom.

In addition to it being a fairly safe move to attempt, having the head up on the thigh makes a HUGE difference with how much choke you get.

Also, this variation of the Paper Cutter will be a much cleaner choke as you are getting the entry from an angle. It will have a feel very similar to the Clock Choke.

Very interesting variation. Thank you.

@Gerbiljiujitsu Just one issue i have, in this position when i go kimura grip (for kimura's or armbars), i never have my opponent grab their lapel, they always seem to grab their own arm/belt. Should i just skip it and move on to the next part for this version of the paper cutter? I can probably get the slack out in another way i'd assume.

Also, in the traditional paper cutter, i don't trace the C, i literally just cut it down over the trachea and tuck my elbow toward their own body. This doesn't seem possible for this variation, which is fine, i assume the lean is what helps prevent her rolling in, yes?

Last edited:
Very interesting variation. Thank you.

@Gerbiljiujitsu Just one issue i have, in this position when i go kimura grip (for kimura's or armbars), i never have my opponent grab their lapel, they always seem to grab their own arm/belt. Should i just skip it and move on to the next part for this version of the paper cutter? I can probably get the slack out in another way i'd assume.

Also, in the traditional paper cutter, i don't trace the C, i literally just cut it down over the trachea and tuck my elbow toward their own body. This doesn't seem possible for this variation, which is fine, i assume the lean is what helps prevent her rolling in, yes?

1. You can still do this even when they grab their belt, although it will be diffficult for them to grab your belt when you have your leg in the the way like it is in techincal mount.

2. You dont have to trace teh C every time you do a Paper cutter but you will find tha tit increases the power of the choke when you do. With that being said, this will have a totally different feel than a normal paper cutter because of the way you enter into it. It should have a much more clock choke feel.

Much appreciated. The paper cutter series is my favorite and it tends to be very safe if you fail.

Saulo has a set-up variation that has been working well for me: your choking hand starts under their head, thumb in the collar, and your other arm is doing whatever. Your other arm simply grabs the sleeve by their elbow, which doesn't telegraph like when you reach underneath to grab behind the shoulder, as you loop your choking arm elbow out, around their face, and down across their throat. I'm a purple, but have been tapping some browns and blacks with this because there's no telegraph.

But I'm excited to try Gerbil's version because it looks less like a paper cutter and more like a variation of my go-to choke. I can see myself getting this on all the people I don't get with my regular choke.

Last edited:
Saulo has a set-up variation that has been working well for me: your choking hand starts under their head, thumb in the collar, and your other arm is doing whatever. Your other arm simply grabs the sleeve by their elbow, which doesn't telegraph like when you reach underneath to grab behind the shoulder, as you loop your elbow out, around their face, and down across their throat. I'm a purple, but have been tapping some browns and blacks with this because there's no telegraph.

But I'm excited to try Gerbil's version because it looks less like a paper cutter and more like a variation of my go-to choke. I can see myself getting this on all the people I don't get with my regular choke.

I'm interested to hear how it goes. This has been working extremely well for me.

Also. Your post count is ridiculous. I'm going to have to up my game.

Also. Your post count is ridiculous. I'm going to have to up my game.

Lol my two jobs allow me to fuck around on the internet throughout the day either because I need to take a break to clear my head and keep my work quality high or because the computer has to render for awhile. Also I went through a few down-in-the-dumps months where I decided I needed to become an expert on Sherdog. Do not recommend.

Back