Rolling with white belts

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was rolling with a white belt and his lone defense for my guard passing was repeatedly digging his elbow in my eye. Its been a couple days and and my eye is still red and blurry as hell.

Obviously it wasn't effective and didn't do much but piss me off, but it got me thinking. When that happens do you guys ever say anything to the person after the roll, or do you just do what I did and really let him have it/tap him more aggressively than usual?

I guess i rarely say anything in that situation cuz 1 I'm not the confrontational type and 2 I'd probably feel like a bitch if I said anything tbh

It depends on what is happening but I usually say something at the moment. Sometimes they don't know what they are doing and just need to be told not to do whatever it is. I usually remain calm when I do say something.

How does this even happen consistently if you're on top? Turn your head and stop insisting on grinding your face into his joints. If he's really aiming for your eye, move your face so his arm is out of position and then punish him. I can't picture a position where "elbow in eye" would actually help the guy on bottom. It's more like "here, have a free arm triangle".

Last edited:
I laugh it off and don't put myself in a position to let them do stupid things. Personally, I haaaaate when dudes put their forearm in my throat when I'm in top side. But what am I gonna do? Complain? No. I adapt. I set up americanas, katagatames, far side armbars. I don't really trash new white belts because they honestly don't know any better. If a blue belt does it, then I'm going to get mean. But white belts are babies. No need to beat them up with anger. Just tool them with technique so they learn how to do better.

Last edited:
I haven't had the eye digging, but I have had greenhorns grab and twist at my fingers.

My usual approach is to let them have whatever they were trying to do with the fingers (usually stop choking them), make sure to protect myself extra carefully, and then very directly explain to them after the match what is and isn't okay. I also kick myself when it happens, cause its kinda my responsibility to establish some ground rules for them when they start and if they do that, then I must have forgotten

If you are training with a white belt, just switch to a different pass, you are there to get better and try new things, right?

Still confused, you were passing his guard and his elbow was in your eye?

Not sure I get it but all kinds of guys show up to the gymca and you have to deal with it. Typically if someone does something stupid and they think it's going to effect me I figure a quick way to submit them from that position so everyone they do it I just submit them.

We have a black belt that still does stupid shit like this though. He thinks it's hysterical. When I roll with him it's the same thing. I wrist lock him a lot. He also the only person I consistently put my knée on his face with all my weight. Before every role I always say, are we doing jiu jitsu today or are we doing that silly shit.
He always says jiu jitsu and the first time he gets on top he's trying to dig his elbow in my face. So....I must make him understand why that is a bad idea

Personally, I haaaaate when dudes put their forearm in my throat when I'm in top side... I don't really trash new white belts because they honestly don't know any better. If a blue belt does it, then I'm going to get mean.

What? Forearm in throat is totally legit and my gold standard way to get the top player the hell off me to escape side mount. (Better yet, forearm in throat using a grip on the far shoulder for extra leverage.)

From the perspective of the guy on top, they can't put any more upward pressure on your throat than the force you provide by leaning on their arm. "Equal and opposite reaction", etc. Don't like it? Pressure down elsewhere.

What? Forearm in throat is totally legit and my gold standard way to get the top player the hell off me to escape side mount. (Better yet, forearm in throat using a grip on the far shoulder for extra leverage.)

From the perspective of the guy on top, they can't put any more upward pressure on your throat than the force you provide by leaning on their arm. "Equal and opposite reaction", etc. Don't like it? Pressure down elsewhere.

That's my point. Why isn't an elbow in the eye legit? If you don't like it, move.

Respectfully, from a white belts perspective, I would rather be told immediately even if you have to stop mid roll than after.

That's my point. Why isn't an elbow in the eye legit? If you don't like it, move.

Sorry, I thought you were implying that throat-forearming was somehow was a bad technique for the bottom player (unlike eye-elbow-grinding, which is both odd and bad).

Uh cuz it's annoying, can cause eye damage as I can attest to, and doesn't do anything against someone who knows what they're doing besides piss them off

Man. I rolled with a white belt today that was a fucking beast. I just played my easy game and he smashed the shit out of me. There were leg locks all over the place but I didn't go for them.

He has a year of Greco Roman, and a ton of rugby. Lithuanian day laborer. Silverback strong. I was just waiting for him to gas, and he didn't lol. He couldn't really do anything to me but damn. Last time I tapped him two or three times in eight minutes, but today it was all I could do to just bide my time. Gonna have to go hard next time.

And yeah he did the elbows in my thoughts crap

I was rolling with a white belt and his lone defense for my guard passing was repeatedly digging his elbow in my eye. Its been a couple days and and my eye is still red and blurry as hell.

Obviously it wasn't effective and didn't do much but piss me off, but it got me thinking. When that happens do you guys ever say anything to the person after the roll, or do you just do what I did and really let him have it/tap him more aggressively than usual?

I guess i rarely say anything in that situation cuz 1 I'm not the confrontational type and 2 I'd probably feel like a bitch if I said anything tbh

The best way is just to teach them a better defense. That way, you will avoid confrontation and also make yourself look like a cool guy.

If I'm rolling with someone less experienced than me and they pull stupid pain based shit, I let them, "punish" them for it (tap em), then explain why what they did is frowned upon.

If it's something dangerous (small joint manipulation, for example), I stop the roll immediately and explain the etiquette to them.

can't believe no one's mentioned teh presh

if anyone pulls that shit, I'm going to make them as uncomfortable as possible the rest of the round, not go for any subs, and see if they tap from shoulder pressure or mount pressure

from a 1 stripe white belt.

Your coach needs to engrave the respect of others into them.
Choke them clean if they aren't being respectable, they need to learn. Sometimes it is a bunch of macho mans trying to get the better of you to prove to themselves they are something.
You also need to be throwing him tips to advance in bbj like not rolling so hard to conserve energy and learn the feel.

I usually just keep playing my same game, it's very rare that I can't neutralize any crap move like that from a white or blue belt. I will tell them after the roll that it's a bad idea.

I try pretty hard not to change my intensity level based on what my opponent is doing, at least with lower belts. The only exception to that is if someone is doing something really egregious or dangerous, in which case I'll generally get them to a point where they can barely move and then submit them very slowly. Then do it again until the round ends. The way I protect myself is by using as much pressure as possible.

Still confused, you were passing his guard and his elbow was in your eye?

Not sure I get it but all kinds of guys show up to the gymca and you have to deal with it. Typically if someone does something stupid and they think it's going to effect me I figure a quick way to submit them from that position so everyone they do it I just submit them.

We have a black belt that still does stupid shit like this though. He thinks it's hysterical. When I roll with him it's the same thing. I wrist lock him a lot. He also the only person I consistently put my knée on his face with all my weight. Before every role I always say, are we doing jiu jitsu today or are we doing that silly shit.
He always says jiu jitsu and the first time he gets on top he's trying to dig his elbow in my face. So....I must make him understand why that is a bad idea

WTF a black belt is grinding thighs and getting in a position to have your knee on his face?

Back