Rolling after wisdom teeth extraction?

RadcliffeJenkem

White Belt
Reaction score
I just got my wisom teeth pulled Thursday and it's been killing me just staying in the house all day. For those of you who had gotten your wisdom teeth pulled, how long did it take you before you could start rolling again without having to worry about getting dry socket?

i was so f'ed up on pain killers rolling was the least of my worries

i was in bed for a week and i could barely stand up without feeling woozy

First few days after getting my wisdom tooth out, it didn't bother me at all. I was actually pretty amazed at how painless the whole thing was, I didn't even use the painkillers. Then from the 4-10 day mark it was excruciating. I ended up having a dry socket and it took forever to heal. In the end, I missed a 10-14 days at the gym. It sucks, but in the end, it's not a big deal. Months go by since then and you won't be saying "man i wish i didn't have to miss those days." Just take the time off. You're gonna be messed up from painkillers and it's hard to eat a good meal.

This is really weird. I got mine out thursday as well. I'm thinking about waiting till about next tuesday.

It really matters on your personal physiology. I got my wisdom teeth out years ago, long before I started BJJ. I was up and running the next day on the other hand I had friends that couldn't stand up for a couple days.

Also depends on the type/angle of extraction.
Some need surgery and not just "pulling" to be extracted; they may actually have to saw off a piece of your jaw.
I had to take almost a whole month off, but i had to get all 4 wisdom teeth extracted. I wasn't in much pain, but whenever i had too much physical activity, the blood clots in the wounds could've bled.
Either way, better ask your dentist.

Godamn! The posts i'm reading so far is scaring me.
I'm getting 4 pulled out soon :( I never knew that you could actually have 4.
Oh well, I hope for the best of it and that it wont hurt so bad that I can't train.

My teeth were impacted so i had to get surgery, but I've healed pretty well and I'm already off all my pain meds. I didn't even swell up like a chipmunk like most people do. I think I'll take Gabicho's advice and talk to my surgeon. It really is weird training every day and then being forced to stop cold turkey. Your body starts to crave for activity haha

this wisdom teeth thing has popped up before on sherdog. IRL i don't know a single person who has done it.

that is what you americans get being descendents from the brits perhaps? :p

I went out clubbing the night I got them out if that tells you anything.
Totally painless for the most part, only took some regular Advils maybe 5 days after for a couple days and threw away my prescription pain killers... that's it.

I tried skateboarding the next day and ended up going back in because I couldnt stop the bleeding. So I would say not a good idea.

I would avoid it until it's healed up. One bad hit to the jaw and you could end up bleeding alot.

Wait about a week or so before going back to training. I had two wisdom teeth pulled on tuesday and decided to go to open mat on friday. By the end of open mat my face was swollen and I was in so much pain. I did not take a single shot of any kind to the face. I think it was cause by the amount of blood flowing to my head or something like that. Took like three days just for the swelling to go down. Listen learned, just rest and let your body heal. Then hit it hard once it does.

Well, considering I could have driven myself home after surgery, I was able to be physical the same day. Then again, my face still puffed up so nobody really wanted to do anything with me.

Ok I'm bringing this back to life.
Just got all 4 of mine pulled yesterday. Only one was impacted (bottom left) and so far that's the only side that has a little swelling while the other 3 have virtually none. Other than some Ibuprofen I haven't had to take any pain killers or felt much pain at all and didn't even bother picking up the pain prescription (taking the prescribed steroid and penicillin though). I'm actually at work right now (day after) despite having planned that I would need to use an extra sick day to recover. Feel perfectly normal.
I have a F2WPro match next Friday. Didn't have much choice in scheduling. I took yesterday off from training of course and am taking today off but plan to hit the mats again tomorrow and so on until my match. Anything yall think I should be concerned about or precautions I should take?

I've noticed that "how long before I can put weight on it" is not a question that dentists are prepared to answer.

When I have had other oral surgeries I went back to training once my stitches were removed. If you don't have any stitches and are pain free in a week I think you will be fine. Good luck with your match.

I have stitches but they're the dissolving kind and way back there where I have no idea when they're really gone. Bleeding has stopped since yesterday morning and after the day-of I had no pain at all. Gonna train today with mostly drills and flowing saving any hard rolls tentatively for tomorrow. Still going to tell my partners to stay away from cross-facing and digging for chokes until next week though.
Thanks!

One day and skipped the painkillers, throw that Rx in the trash.

Back