Rolled Up Episode 30: Evolution through Diversification with Erik Paulson

I think it's possible to disagree with Paulson's outlook without being an asshole about it.

I think it's possible to disagree with Paulson's outlook without being an asshole about it.

true that. he can choose who he wants to roll with and believe in whatever he wishes just like everyone else. who cares? it says nothing about his grappling skills, his skills as a teacher, or a fighter. this is a grappling forum and his grappling knowledge is very apparent.

It just kinda irks me when Paulson starts preaching about how you essentially can't live a good life if you don't believe in God. He comes across as pretty judgmental, IMO.

It just kinda irks me when Paulson starts preaching about how you essentially can't live a good life if you don't believe in God. He comes across as pretty judgmental, IMO.

He said that? If so my opinion changes from "he holds some stupid superstitions" to "he's an idiot and an arse".

Ehh, I don't see it as preaching. He was asked for his perspective, he didn't forcefully volunteer it.

As I said I don't agree with it and take a more evolutionary stance, but I'm not going to get upset about it. I'd be more concerned if he was a politician trying to warp a democracy into a theocracy, but that sort of debate is best left for the War Room.

He said that? If so my opinion changes from "he holds some stupid superstitions" to "he's an idiot and an arse".

He wasn't exactly saying that. He was saying he belives it's important to get your priorities straight. And for him the priorities are 1) Knowing where you go when you die, 2) Your family, 3) Your job, 4) your passion. He then said he believes if you have No#3 as a priority above #1 and #2 you're going to have a lot of problems. He also said he's fortunate because he's always able to find time for meditation and prayer, he works with his wife and his wife travels with him everywhere and is happy to do so, and that his passion is his job.

At no point does he go fire and brimstone or any of that fear-mongering garbage we generally associate with god-botherers.

That was a fantastic episode, my favorite so far. Great work BudoJake.

You don't have to agree with everything Paulson says to respect him. He's a true warrior and a library of grappling knowledge. I wish he had told some more stories.

For those who are basing the whole bad energy transfer thing, do yourself a favor and go listen to the New Earth audio book by Eckhart Tolle.

That doesnt sound loony to me at all. As a matter of fact, Im more inclined to agree with him than to disagree. Contact with negative people DOES take a toll on you.

Some very nice details on the side triangle / yoko sankaku jime.

He wasn't exactly saying that. He was saying he belives it's important to get your priorities straight. And for him the priorities are 1) Knowing where you go when you die, 2) Your family, 3) Your job, 4) your passion. He then said he believes if you have No#3 as a priority above #1 and #2 you're going to have a lot of problems. He also said he's fortunate because he's always able to find time for meditation and prayer, he works with his wife and his wife travels with him everywhere and is happy to do so, and that his passion is his job.

At no point does he go fire and brimstone or any of that fear-mongering garbage we generally associate with god-botherers.

Well put.

I don't buy into the "energy" etc, but he was asked about it. Judgmental, him?

I forgot, if you're not a stone-cold atheist you're a judgmental crazy idiot arse. :icon_lol:

IIRC, he also mentions "guys who don't believe in God" as an example of people exuding negative energy (whom he presumably won't roll with) - along with those who do drugs and pursue other harmful activities. He has my respect as a martial artist, but I think his spiritual views are pretty misguided.

I guess i can never roll with him because i am an atheist.
Apparently i am so full of negative energy.

I guess i can never roll with him because i am an atheist.
Apparently i am so full of negative energy.

I think he's more likely to sense that attitude through body language, than whether you're an atheist.

I bet atheists do roll with him. I also bet the ones that do aren't confrontational or super opinionated.

I bet atheists do roll with him. I also bet the ones that do aren't confrontational or super opinionated.

Listen, I am perfectly fine with people being religious/spiritual/superstitious, and will happily tolerate them expressing it publicly without having to tell them that I disagree, but when religious people start claiming that people who don't believe in God are somehow morally or spiritually inferior (to them), they waive the right to tolerance for their beliefs, IMO. If you want me to keep pretending that I don't find your beliefs ridiculous, don't insult me with them.

Now, if you think I'm a typical 'opinionated' asshole atheist for making this point, you might want to consider if maybe you're holding atheists and religious people to different standards.

Anyway, I'll leave this thread now to avoid further derailment.

paulson seems crazy, i like it, i never thought he would be like this.

Listen, I am perfectly fine with people being religious/spiritual/superstitious, and will happily tolerate them expressing it publicly without having to tell them that I disagree, but when religious people start claiming that people who don't believe in God are somehow morally or spiritually inferior (to them), they waive the right to tolerance for their beliefs, IMO. If you want me to keep pretending that I don't find your beliefs ridiculous, don't insult me with them.

Now, if you think I'm a typical 'opinionated' asshole atheist for making this point, you might want to consider if maybe you're holding atheists and religious people to different standards.

Anyway, I'll leave this thread now to avoid further derailment.

I'm an atheist and there's far more troublesome people in the world with superstitious beliefs than Paulson. It's all down to the attitude someone gives off, and clearly there's a chip on your shoulder. That's going to come across through body language and is probably the sort of 'vibe' Paulson would pick up on.

So what I'm saying is, I don't believe in a god as a reality or even concept, but I'm not hung up over people that have quirky beliefs as long as they're not trying to actively impact the world I live in for the worse. As a result I think I can be positive and pass Paulson's 'energy' test.

I'm an atheist and there's far more troublesome people in the world with superstitious beliefs than Paulson. It's all down to the attitude someone gives off, and clearly there's a chip on your shoulder. That's going to come across through body language and is probably the sort of 'vibe' Paulson would pick up on.

So what I'm saying is, I don't believe in a god as a reality or even concept, but I'm not hung up over people that have quirky beliefs as long as they're not trying to actively impact the world I live in for the worse. As a result I think I can be positive and pass Paulson's 'energy' test.
Why would you WANT to roll with someone who basically said you are "bad" simply because you don't believe in a god? No one is saying we should be protesting outside of his school, or shouldn't be allowed to say these things or hold these views. What we're saying is, as atheists, his views are somewhat offensive. Anyone who doesn't believe in god is "negative" to him.

A guy on here wouldnt roll with me at Ralph Gracies I think hes into the energy thing the chakras like Judouk mentioned lol I also noticed a few who dont roll it seems to be when people bitch talk they won't roll with me, Now what is all that about:)

Why would you WANT to roll with someone who basically said you are "bad" simply because you don't believe in a god?

Because in this instance, I see it as an eccentricity that can be overlooked to get some quality coaching. Paulson's an eccentric with idiosyncrasies, he's also a bad ass grappler and coach. I have far more issue with Big Nog saying he wouldn't roll with homosexuals.

Back