Rolled Up Episode 30: Evolution through Diversification with Erik Paulson

This was an interesting interview. A few of you know I'm a bit of a Paulson fanboy.

With that said I don't agree with his 'spiritual' take, and see it more of a misunderstanding that can be better explained in psychology - both human and animal.

Some people can pick up an idea about someone when their subconscious processes them visually through body language. I believe this is inherent in everyone dating back to when humans were more instinctive for the sake of survival. Various visual, auditorial and even smell and taste stimuli (olfaction and gustation, respectively) can trigger certain warning signals in our brains alerting us to danger.

When people talk about getting a 'bad vibe' off someone, it's this primal warning system kicking in making you believe something about this person is a danger either to yourself, your offspring, or your close circle of family and friends (a modern replacement for social groups like tribes, packs, herds etc).

Excess drug and alcohol use can often give a message of reckless abandon that can do damage if you're within their radius, the chasing women factor can be attributed to the danger of a new alpha in the area looking to mate while destroying you and your own offspring in the process so only their bloodline prevails. Obviously this is rarely the case (especially the latter) but since most of our primal instincts haven't had to be employed for survival for thousands of years, they're overcompensating now when we have more complex and evolved societal issues.

I don't know if that makes any sense, it's just my take on it.

I think you are reaching with that interpretation.

Erik was one of my teachers, so I have a lot of respect for him. But that part of the interview was one of the craziest things I have ever heard in grappling -- ever.

As I said, I don't agree with him at all on that. I do believe who you surround yourself with in your environment can directly effect your psyche and personality though.

Negative energy is hippy bullshit.

Sounds like a catch all excuse to puss out of rolling with someone you don't want to, because you know they're a threat.

Lmao I don't think erik paulson is pussing out of a roll with anyone. Also, rickson has had his fair share spiritual silliness to contribute. Though I feel rickson's is a bit more...down to earth? Idk

I doubt Paulson's threatened by the prospect of rolling with anyone. He's also mid-40's so getting owned on the mat by an in his prime black belt shouldn't be seen as a big deal. I mean, congrats if you can beat up an old man I guess ...

Personally, I find it fair game as long as it's done to accomplish something: either get the tap, or get a reaction. If you grind my face and I make a mistake and give up my arm, good for you.

If you keep grinding your elbow in my face even though I'm not giving you my arm, then yeah you're an asshole.

Does your LL instructor Flavio teaches that type of stuff? ^^

I'll be keeping my third eye on you.
Lol.

Lmao I don't think erik paulson is pussing out of a roll with anyone. Also, rickson has had his fair share spiritual silliness to contribute. Though I feel rickson's is a bit more...down to earth? Idk
Hmm seems Cacc chaps aren't as easy to wind up as the Zhoo Zhitzu fan boys.

Hmmhh... can anyone that nows him confirm this? Maybe he is just trolling!?

Either way, whatever contributes too your own spiritual health is good for you.

hey, considering how everyone in the grappling community loves penn, is there a chance you'd do a rolled up episode with him?

I didn't get the sense that he was trolling at all, if you watch the rest of the interview, he mentions praying and spiritual stuff repeatedly

I don't think he is trolling at all, but if he was, troll of the year award.

Finally was able to watch it and I really enjoyed it, thank you Budo Jake.

JudoUK, who are you? What do you believe in? I'm sure some people would find your beliefs just as ridiculous as his, but most won't be as judgmental and abrasive about it, and I'm about positive you haven't accomplished as much as Erik Paulson has in life. I think you could learn a lot from him, not just about grappling, but about respect and manners as well.

Guy has his own shaman? How baller.

"Excuse me for a few minutes dudes, gotta go talk to my shaman bout some stuff."

BTW i dont think that that cmoth move he did to you at the end is illegal in ibjjf rules. My coach teaches us a hand cover the mouth/nose move and he is a pure BJJ guy.

Your coach better read up on the rules ;)
From the IBJJF rule book:

I think Erik has Balls to say how he REALLY feels about training and how other aspects of your life can effect your training especially if it is something you want to do professionally. Just because you don't get his spirituality doesn't mean he is a hippy or "Bat Shit" crazy he just has his beliefs like everyone else in the crazy world. I say whatever makes you a good positive person is a good thing. Also at this point in his life and being that it is his GYM I believe he can roll with whomever he wants... My Coach doesn't roll with everyone either.

Just my 2 cents.

is it just me or is erik paulson extremely flatulent?

I think Erik has Balls to say how he REALLY feels about training and how other aspects of your life can effect your training especially if it is something you want to do professionally. Just because you don't get his spirituality doesn't mean he is a hippy or "Bat Shit" crazy he just has his beliefs like everyone else in the crazy world. I say whatever makes you a good positive person is a good thing. Also at this point in his life and being that it is his GYM I believe he can roll with whomever he wants... My Coach doesn't roll with everyone either.

Just my 2 cents.

Exactly!

If anyone/everyone aired their innermost thoughts, we'd ALL seem crazy to each other, every one of us (no exceptions). Erik just doesn't mind fully spilling what he's thinking (probably doesn't have much to hide)- that's the only difference.

Exactly!

If anyone/everyone aired their innermost thoughts, we'd ALL seem crazy to each other, every one of us (no exceptions). Erik just doesn't mind fully spilling what he's thinking (probably doesn't have much to hide)- that's the only difference.

Sorry, but that's a load of relativistic bullshit.

Back