Rolled Up #26 Jiu-jitsu Missionary: Andre Galvao

I must have missed this one, what was he trying to say about this?

He was talking about the importance of drilling different positions and why they drill so much at his academy. He used guys who have really good gaurds as an example. He basically said that guys who have good guards rarely find themself in a position where they lose the guard, because they are so use to having great control in that position. However if for some reason they do lose the position, they have trouble recovering it. Hence the importance of repitition and drilling positions/situations you aren't all that familiar or comfortable with.

edit: Drilling convo is 5:50-9:00 in the vid

Last edited:
He was talking about the importance of drilling different positions and why they drill so much at his academy. He used guys who have really good gaurds as an example. He basically said that guys who have good guards rarely find themself in a position where they lose the guard, because they are so use to having great control in that position. However if for some reason they do lose the position, they have trouble recovering it. Hence the importance of repitition and drilling positions/situations you aren't all that familiar or comfortable with.

edit: Drilling convo is 5:50-9:00 in the vid

Exactly. I'll use myself for instance as well.

People rarely mount me. Nor do I get my back taken a lot. So when somebody finally does do one of those things, I'm a complete freaking mess. I make stupid mistakes and tend to panic. Thus, in the past 2-3 months, I've been trying new things and not being afraid to get into those positions, because then I can work the escapes more and more.

Gotta address the weaknesses. It's the fastest way to grow.

His transitions to the back are awesome. He looks so graceful for such a buff/stout looking guy.

Back