Rogue One was far better than Force Awakens....

Kylo Ren was just good god awful as a villian.

I mean he looked like a GD dufus to start with, he couldn't out duel fin FFS I mean really? You couldn't beat two left shoes Finn.....and your an effing Jedi or Sith. Vader was probably rolling over in his grave watching that shit show of a light saber duel from the Force ether.

and his light saber wasn't even sweet. If it wasn't for that corny as R-2 rip off and the under stated hotness of the main chic it would have been terminator salvation level disappointment.

I agree that Ren was a disappointment, but he pwned Finn. He was toying with him through the whole fight. And that's after eating one of Chewie's Bowcaster shots. As soon as Finn landed one lucky cut, Ren stopped fucking around and pushed his shit in.

The fight against Rey was horribly written. It confirmed her as the ultimate Mary Sue and effectively destroyed all tension for a rematch. They are going to have to build Ren up from scratch to make him a credible Big Bad.

And yes, of course, Vader>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ren.

My wife was not into Star Wars (well she new it was some space saga about guys in rags with fancy swords).
We went to movie to watch episode 7, and she told me her unbiased opinion that it was shit.
A year later we went to see Rogue One, and she told me "Let's watch the other 6 movies please". I think it is quite telling.

I agree. TFA has surprisingly little replay value. Like, less than Sith. I didn't hate it at the movies; it was ok. TFA 6.5/10, RO 7.5/10.

I agree. TFA has surprisingly little replay value. Like, less than Sith. I didn't hate it at the movies; it was ok. TFA 6.5/10, RO 7.5/10.

Honestly it was the same old Abrams/Marvel formula, everything basically set up for a one off 2 hour thrill ride viewing with little in the way of depth. Sadly for a lot of people(especially several big youtube commentators) this has really become all that's desired from blockbuster cinema and aknowleding that anything more can be possible with the medium seems to be something they avoid.

The reality is that if something like Empire Strikes Back were released today a lot of these people would call it bland and confused because it wasn't throwing action and over the top characters in there faces constantly and asked a little of the viewer.

Literally cannot remember one characters name from R1

Until I read this, it didn't occur to me that I cannot remember any characters names from R1 either...except Tarkin, Vader and Leia.

I'm not. Rogue One was a well-executed piece of fluff. It was so incredibly shallow: philosophically and politically. Trash like that will never hold up in a universe that's power is derived from truth.

The ironic part is how many people write off The Clone Wars because it's animated, yet it has 100x the depth.

I love the Clone Wars as much as the next guy, but that show was also littered with fluff episodes devoid of depth. R1 isn't some kind of misadventures of Jar Jar CW episode. It's the visualization of a key moment in Rebel lore. The sacrifices made in R1, and the goings on in SW: Rebels, give me an even greater appreciation for ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and Leia's mission within them. Just as people that don't watch the CW series can never fully appreciate the depth of Anakin's fall to the Dark Side.

Without checking how many of these 6 characters can you name? Be honest.

rogue-one-international2jpg-f9a2d0_1280w.jpg

Easy. Pugilistic (fake Korean), K-Solo, Armando Calrissian, Hot Ms Bad Lighting, Other Asian, Fisher Stevens.

I'm enough of a SW fan to name them all but actually that was something I quite enjoyed in the film, that the script felt more natural rather than the typical modern blockbuster style of people being introduced by name repeatidly for the audiences benefit

If you only remember say Donnie Yen as "force monk guy" does that really hurt the film?

I'm enough of a SW fan to name them all but actually that was something I quite enjoyed in the film, that the script felt more natural rather than the typical modern blockbuster style of people being introduced by name repeatidly for the audiences benefit

If you only remember say Donnie Yen as "force monk guy" does that really hurt the film?

It's just indicative of characters that are not engaging and that we have no attachment to. And it was almost like they tried to tick as many boxes as possible....the girl, the Latino, the black guy, the Chinese, the Indian etc etc.

I love the Clone Wars as much as the next guy, but that show was also littered with fluff episodes devoid of depth. R1 isn't some kind of misadventures of Jar Jar CW episode. It's the visualization of a key moment in Rebel lore. The sacrifices made in R1, and the goings on in SW: Rebels, give me an even greater appreciation for ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and Leia's mission within them. Just as people that don't watch the CW series can never fully appreciate the depth of Anakin's fall to the Dark Side.
CW did a great job of painting Anakin. After watching the show and then RoTS, it makes the turn much more believable. Also liked how they fleshed out more Jedi so that order 66 had more impact.

It's just indicative of characters that are not engaging and that we have no attachment to. And it was almost like they tried to tick as many boxes as possible....the girl, the Latino, the black guy, the Chinese, the Indian etc etc.

I wouldn't really agree with that, I don't think there was a new Han Solo here or anything but the characters were all memorable enough, just the script didn't mention some of their names(Chirrut and Baze most obviously) very often. For me it was never really confusing in terms of what was going on though or who was being reffered to.

The film itself was I think somewhat different in intension than the originals as well, less of a classic heroic story within a more serious setting and more focus on the setting itself with a wider cast fleshed out.

I'm still somewhat on the fence as to how good it is but I think theres potential for it to last where as I knew TFA was typical Abrams fluff after the first viewing.

Last edited:

Donnie Yen, Felicity JOnes, and Diego Luna.

They were not really trying to establish some kind of franchise for each character because they all die anyways. But the performances are sure memorable

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Rogue One
6. Return of the Jedi
7. Phantom Menace
8. Clone Wars

Forest Whitaker should not be in Star Wars.

Good morning Padawans.

Rory...home boy...decent list however it can be better if you switch 5 where you've got 3 . And return of the Jedi third from, the bottom bro?!?

That's a self choking level faux pais tbh mang...I'll let you slide this time though.

Gotta disagree. I thought Force Awakens was ok the 1st time I saw it but it's going to age terribly. It really didn't add much or open up anything really interesting IMO. Didn't find Rey to be that great of a character and Kylo Ren might be the weakest villain in Star Wars history, like laughably un-intimidating. Not to mention it being a New Hope clone. Still it had Han and Chewy and both Oscar Issac and John Boyega were solid.

Despite all of that being said Rouge One was probably the worst Star Wars film I've ever seen. Complete bore fest, didn't connect with a single character in the movie. Diego Luna was particularly awful. I'll give it credit for the Tarkin and Vader parts, really well done CGI and scenes were probably the best in the movie. The movie was very visually impressive. Did think Felicity Jones was vastly superior to Daisy Ridley but that's not saying much. Just felt like a cheap money grab. Don't even get me started on the generic "Blind Monk Character", smart ass droid, and the other forgettable characters.

I'm down to see episode 8, but not quite as excited as I was before episode 7. Frankly looking far more forward to Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Part of what makes the Star Wars genre so iconic and great. Is the rewatchability of the first three 80's films. And tbh I've rewatched the phantom menace many times just for
Darth Maul who is the most terribly wasted villian in sci fi cinematic history imo.

Force Awakens just doesn't have that pull on your nerd heart strings to watch it over, and over, and over like the others.

however Rogue one is a movie that I will def watch many times over the coming epoch.

I'm not. Rogue One was a well-executed piece of fluff. It was so incredibly shallow: philosophically and politically. Trash like that will never hold up in a universe that's power is derived from truth.

The ironic part is how many people write off The Clone Wars because it's animated, yet it has 100x the depth.

Appreciate your take in this thread bro....would be even more awesome if we could get our fellow padawans take on which movie was better with a poll man. Either way I hope all my fellow sherdoggers have a great day.

Good morning Padawans.

Rory...home boy...decent list however it can be better if you switch 5 where you've got 3 . And return of the Jedi third from, the bottom bro?!?

That's a self choking level faux pais tbh mang...I'll let you slide this time though.
I had to do a double take at that list.

RoTJ rated low and TFA top 3?! Disagree with having RO in the top 3.

Donnie Yen, Felicity JOnes, and Diego Luna.

They were not really trying to establish some kind of franchise for each character because they all die anyways. But the performances are sure memorable

They are not the character names, Bub.

95% of films ever made should/do try aim to create memorable characters. R1 didn't, imo.

Back