Rogue One was far better than Force Awakens....

how about we just say EP7 was a decent SW movies, at least better than the prequels

while

R1, was a decent movie, if Darth Vader didn't make an appearance, ppl would think it's just a basic cosplay movie

Respectfully, I disagree. Episode 1 was a huge steaming pile, and not just Jar Jar's scenes. Kid Anakin was terrible and the pod-racing scene was overly shitty and predictable. Even Darth Maul was "Meh" at best as a main villain. Even though Liam Neeson and Ewen McGregor were okay, it still wasn't enough to save that shit.
Doesn't matter. That's all just technical execution.

You fuck up the heart of your theme that badly and you won't hold up against anything. Ep. I will outlast Rogue One for the simple reason that it doesn't wildly and objectively misunderstand the central metaphor of the universe.

Doesn't matter. That's all just technical execution.

You fuck up the heart of your theme that badly and you won't hold up against anything. Ep. I will outlast Rogue One for the simple reason that it doesn't wildly and objectively misunderstand the central metaphor of the universe.

This is why I kind of liked Rogue One. Episodes 1-6, the central theme to the trilogies was the Force versus the Dark Side. I felt it barely rated more than a passing thought in Rogue One and was never intended to be part of the plot to start with. As a side story, I thought it bridged the gap well without bastardizing Star Wars canon of episodes 4-6 (though admittedly I haven't read every book or comic).

I didn't hate the scene you referenced, but at the same time I didn't mind it either. I don't think Chirrut was a Jedi, rather he was just a believer in the Force and it's abilities. Taking out all the stormtroopers was kind of bullshit, but it still made for a decent scene.

I suspect the Han Solo anthology will be very similar, although it's already got a better cast and director than Rogue One did (in my opinion). I probably would've went with Pratt over Ehrenreich as Han, but he might surprise everyone and I'll try to be optimistic.

I actually re-watched both recently, and each excell in different areas.

Ep7's three new characters, and BB8, are far more likeable and entertaining. But the rehashed Ep4 plot REALLY kept it from getting anywhere close to it's potential. But the directing/effects were 10/10.

Rogue One had one 1-dimensional character, and the rest had no character whatsoever. But the finale was epic, but otherwise felt shallow due to the audience not caring about any of the characters getting killed off - besides Donnie Yen.

So much wasted potential, for both movies. I really hope Disney gets their shit together or Ep8 will be the last Star Wars flick I see in theaters for a long time.

Spot on.

I have to say I enjoyed Force Awakens much more overall for the first viewing. I have a feeling they will be closer upon second viewing.

This is why I kind of liked Rogue One. Episodes 1-6, the central theme to the trilogies was the Force versus the Dark Side.
It is impossible to reconcile this comment with an accurate reading of Star Wars' central metaphor.

The Dark Side is The Force, dude. This isn't Church. This isn't your New Testament Abrahamic God.

Kylo Ren was my favourite part of the film. The whole point of him was he was very flawed. His inadequacy compared to Vader was perhaps the major difference between 7 and 4, imo.

People complain that it was a direct remake of A New Hope and also complain that Kylo Ren was nothing like as bad ass as Vader. Can't have it both ways.

I just hated how easily dispatched Kylo Ren was? I get that he's not all powerful like his grandfather but it was pretty sad to see him struggle defeating Finn, who was only working with basic storm trooper combat training and athleticism.

Rogue One had it own cheesy moments too. They squandered alot of the characters and had them die lame deaths, no one really seemed important or memorable.

Episode 1 through 3 were fucking garbage, the only good parts were the fight scenes and even those were flawed. Which is shocking because it had alot of great actors in it, Connor's cousin Ewan, Samuel L Jackson, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, etc. Hayden Christensen was atrocious but I have seen him in more recent work where he was good. Maybe it was just too early in his career. Jake Lloyd was bad too but he's just a kid.

I'm with you @Jack Handy jr ! Rogue One is pretty much what everyone hoped VII would be.
DCEA0DA8-7950-4D79-9D1F-42D6470FF8AF_zpsrufg25ol.gif

I just hated how easily dispatched Kylo Ren was? I get that he's not all powerful like his grandfather but it was pretty sad to see him struggle defeating Finn, who was only working with basic storm trooper combat training and athleticism.

He whooped Finn in about 20 seconds, no? Whilst nursing a gun shot wound, at that. Though allowing Finn to get even one good shot in was stupid, yeah.

Well one would assume more will be revealed in 8 and 9 to explain this in re, to Rey. Hopefully the Kylo Ren character will progress. Would have been easy to just do a carbon copy of Vader and make Ren an unstoppable bad ass.....I'm glad they went the way they did.

Episode 1 through 3 were fucking garbage, the only good parts were the fight scenes and even those were flawed. Which is shocking because it had alot of great actors in it, Connor's cousin Ewan, Samuel L Jackson, Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson, etc. Hayden Christensen was atrocious but I have seen him in more recent work where he was good. Maybe it was just too early in his career. Jake Lloyd was bad too but he's just a kid.

I actually wasn't a massive fan of the saber duels in 1-3. Yoda was ridiculous. Less flash and more substance is better, imo.

Best part of the prequels for me was easily Ian McDiarmid's performance as Palpatine.

I might never watch Rogue One again.

It is impossible to reconcile this comment with an accurate reading of Star Wars' central metaphor.

The Dark Side is The Force, dude. This isn't Church. This isn't your New Testament Abrahamic God.

When I referenced the Force, I had actually meant the light side of it (and misused the term Force out of bad habit). I'd suggest the central metaphor parallels religious idealogy though. The light side of the force represents the "God-like" side of it, the good and the peaceful side of the Force, and the dark side similarly with evil, hatred and anger.

Regardless, there was very little to do with the conflicting sides of the Force in Rogue One, it was the rebels acting out of desperation and conspiring to steal the plans upon learning of a device the Empire would use to rule the Galaxy. In my opinion, I thought the principal plot more closely represented freedom versus oppression than mystical forces supporting good versus evil.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself as clearly as I should, sorry for that. Rogue One tried to tell a story that loosely connects two other related stories without trying to be part of the originals, and in that respect, I do think the director managed to differentiate his film from the others while maintaining a continuity of sorts.

Yep, Finn a glorified janitor was going toe to toe with a trained force user. Yeah, Kylo was fooling around but really? And his defeat at the hands of a brand new force user was a joke.

Disagree. Only prequel that was absolute garbage was AoTC. TPM was ok but nothing special. RoTS was slighly better, I mean it's no master piece but it's better than EP1 and definitely EP2. And the prequels had scenes besides fighting that were decent to watch. Lucas fucked up and gave some of the worst lines to read which made the actors suffer. Ian Mcdiarmid and Ewan Mcgregor did well despite the mess they were handed.

giphy.gif

TFA was not very good for a multitude of reasons

But...

R1 was complete shit

Force awakens was pretty to look at but it brought nothing new to the table it was derivative of star wars a new hope it was almost a remake.

I have not watched rogue one yet.

When I referenced the Force, I had actually meant the light side of it (and misused the term Force out of bad habit). I'd suggest the central metaphor parallels religious idealogy though. The light side of the force represents the "God-like" side of it, the good and the peaceful side of the Force, and the dark side similarly with evil, hatred and anger..
No, and Lucas has been very clear about this. He doesn't think the Abrahamic God (or the God described in any other major religion) resembles anything remotely close to what the true God of our universe is. It is apparent that he finds it silly that they believe they could offer that much detail. "The Force" is perhaps the oldest known term used to reference a Creator. It describes the divine, but doesn't sequester its dark side. It describes nature and its apathy towards morality. It describes the power of reality; the machinery of the Universe. It describes the apparent, not revelation. It describes all of that which cannot be explained by Man, but affects him nonetheless. It describes the Spiritual, and the Physical. It describes Death.

That is the Force: the true God.

No anecdotes after that. No claims to divinity or miracles or specifics of knowledge or anything silly like that. Only tales of warrior priests stumbling in the dark communing with this great beast trying to discern its nature, and understanding the power in better understanding it as they do; while also applying their own philosophies and religions to how it is best or most morally used. There is the Force; after that, there is only myth rooted in history meant to be instructive to young Padawans what the nature of their condition is, and some truths of the Force (such as instinct) that will sometimes command them, sometimes guide them, sometimes mislead them, but ultimately empower them if they apply their ability to understand and manipulate it. As a metaphor, sensitivity to the Force reflects intelligence and the sensitivity to use and command Reason, and to persuade people. Force mastery reflects those who have applied this to influence the events of history and the species as a whole (i.e. Churchill was a Jedi Master; Hitler was a Sith Lord).

These are the stories of the Jedi and the Sith. Understand and prepare.

A feminist, a dreamer, a Muslim, a Chinese, and a Jewish guy as the main cast just doesn't sound very exciting. Just saying..

I actually re-watched both recently, and each excell in different areas.

Ep7's three new characters, and BB8, are far more likeable and entertaining. But the rehashed Ep4 plot REALLY kept it from getting anywhere close to it's potential. But the directing/effects were 10/10.

Rogue One had one 1-dimensional character, and the rest had no character whatsoever. But the finale was epic, but otherwise felt shallow due to the audience not caring about any of the characters getting killed off - besides Donnie Yen.

So much wasted potential, for both movies. I really hope Disney gets their shit together or Ep8 will be the last Star Wars flick I see in theaters for a long time.

agreed.

the finale for Rogue One had SO MUCH potential if they made the characters likeable, or have character at all...instead everyone had a thing that made them necessary to the plot...except for the asians...who were pretty much there to sell toys and to sell in China

For me TFA was better because the characters were great.

IMO the movie should've been about Casian Andor and K2 recruiting a couple people to impersonate imperial officers and steal the plans with the big space battle and escape from the beach planet being the finale....the movie HAD some huge potential but the director/disney decided to go full self-referential and just show us shit we've seen before instead of you know....creating characters that had depth which made their sacrifice important

nobody was asking how Grand Moff Tarkin got control of the death star.....why did we need CGI Tarkin to be the villain to our movies villain....

also they completely wasted Mads Mikkelson so for that I fault Rogue One massively.

I concur Rogue One is a great movie.

It is to Star Wars what Deep Space Nine is to Star Trek. It really shows what Star WArs can be.

Felicity Jones is great. All the actors, Diego Luna, Forrest Whitaker, are good. Even Donnie Yen and his partner's roles are great. Their deaths were inspiring.

Back