Roger Gracie

Well, I dont think anyone expected that

Ah... The old Fedor got his ass handed to him by Arona myth... Haven't seen that one in a few years...

well, he was, you could chose not to believe that, but he was.

but who that fuck cares about that debate now... roger just fucking choked buchecha out!

crazy match, roger is indeed the GOAT

never would I have imagined buchecha getting dominated like that

OHHH SHIIIT.

Jumped out of my fucking chair, wow.

Roger and Kron are two of my favorites but I never would have given Roger a huge chance of winning after his focus on MMA, it was alarmingly easy for Hoger to apply that basic choke.

well, he was, you could chose not to believe that, but he was.

but who that fuck cares about that debate now... roger just fucking choked buchecha out!

Completely disagree with the first part, and takeing into account the fact that Fedor couldnt even use his biggest weapon again Arona because of Rings weird rules...

The second part I agree with. Roger is the greatest BJJ guy of all time. He is the true Rickson Gracie of JJ. No disrespect to Rickson, but Roger is all the things that Rickson is known for as a mythological figure in JJ... except in reality before our eyes.

Buchecha needs to take lessons from Tim Kennedy. He gave Roger his back and escaped like it was child's play, then ko'd him. Roger made Bucher ha look like a blue belt, in pure bjj he is a monster.

Completely disagree with the first part, and takeing into account the fact that Fedor couldnt even use his biggest weapon again Arona because of Rings weird rules...

The second part I agree with. Roger is the greatest BJJ guy of all time. He is the true Rickson Gracie of JJ. No disrespect to Rickson, but Roger is all the things that Rickson is known for as a mythological figure in JJ... except in reality before our eyes.
Gnp? well hard to grdoun and pound someone from bottom, arona spent most of the fight on top of fedor.

Did you see that grip change that Roger did before taking buchecha back? Its the reason why buchecha couldnt post to escape. Crazy!

If you watch the stream, they show other angles, and you see that he's actually been holding onto the sleeve since the half-guard pull. Buchecha tries to rip the grip off, so Roger switches to his left hand to grip that sleeve. And as Buchecha turtles, Roger switches back to his right hand to grip the sleeve, and as Buchecha turtles, Buchecha can't post so get his back taken and meanwhile Roger STILL has that grip that he had since half-guard, but now Buchecha can't defend the incoming choke because that sleeve is gripped, and Roger effortlessly slips his choking grip in. He fucking planned the entire sequence from half-guard to choke.

This is a half-guard variation of Roger's favorite full guard cross sleeve sweep/back take...which, of course, is a basic tech taught to white belts.

Last edited:
If you watch the stream, they show other angles, and you see that he's actually been holding onto the sleeve since the half-guard pull. Buchecha tries to rip the grip off, so Roger switches to his left hand to grip that sleeve. And as Buchecha turtles, Roger switches back to his right hand to grip the sleeve, and as Buchecha turtles, Buchecha can't post so get his back taken and meanwhile Roger STILL has that grip that he had since half-guard, but now Buchecha can't defend the incoming choke because that sleeve is gripped, and Roger effortlessly slips his choking grip in. He fucking planned the entire sequence from half-guard to choke.

This is a half-guard variation of Roger's favorite full guard cross sleeve sweep/back take...which, of course, is a basic tech taught to white belts.

Yup. Usually buchecha is able to invert and scramble out of those situations. I knew from watching buchecha live the last few worlds that he puts himself in scramble situations to come on top at the end. Roger capatalize where others failed.

Yup. Usually buchecha is able to invert and scramble out of those situations. I knew from watching buchecha live the last few worlds that he puts himself in scramble situations to come on top at the end. Roger capatalize where others failed.

I don't think its just that Roger capitalizes, so much as he plans ahead. He controlled that sleeve from the very start. He couldn't grab that sleeve after the sweep attempt - he controlled the sleeve from the start. And I think that is one of the things he does with his basic tech - he doesn't just think sweep, release everything and establish. He's thinking, sweep, keep grips that allow him to mount or back take, but still keep grips that make submission easier. The moment his opponents get swept, they've actually already been submitted.

And that is why I've always said that Roger's game is the most submission oriented game there is. Its not a question of mentality - its a question of technique chain/choice. His slow, grip centric game plans the submission from the sweep.

I remember when I taught this to Roger.

Roger never had half guard in the whole match, he had a closed guard with a knee inside.
The whole Roger uses "moves taught to white belt" meme is kind of stupid, because he does a lot of them in a fundamentally different manner.

Last edited:
Buchecha needs to take lessons from Tim Kennedy. He gave Roger his back and escaped like it was child's play, then ko'd him. Roger made Bucher ha look like a blue belt, in pure bjj he is a monster.
when did Tim ko Roger? It didn't happen in their MMA fight.

Back