Roger GOAT confirmed?

Video got removed - bummer.

Last edited:
Incredible. The shadow of Roger Gracie will loom large over BJJ for years to come. 10 time champion? 20 time champion? Still not as good as Roger.

Especially for Buchecha. No matter what, Roger Gracie will always be better than him.

I was pulling for Roger, but holy hell. This domination clearly proves Roger wasn't 100% in his first match. There is no question, GOAT. Older, lighter, and not having competed against the top competition for years, and yet comes out of the fucking woodwork and completely dominates a dominant Buchecha, who, other than Roger, has no equal. I bow at the altar of the jiu-jitsu god, Roger!

qE8hBnM.jpg

Roger is now worthy of the mantra bestowed upon a GOAT like Masahiko Kimura who so utterly dominated their sport.

In the context of BJJ...No one before Roger, no one after Roger

I'm utterly impressed.
You can see the slight grin in Roger's face when he is getting the grips deeper.

That's the thing with Roger, though. His entire career, his movements look almost awkward in their simplicity, and it always looks like his opponents give things up too easily or make some kind of bonehead error. But when it happens consistently over the years you realize it's because of his technique and pressure. It's what he does.
i wasn't trying to say he won by buchecha being a bonehead... you could probably take the majority of the top 10, give them hooks on buchecha, and they wouldn't finish him. roger is a monster.

all i meant was that the actual ground exchange was pretty brief, and started off with a rather unusual position. it doesn't lessen the accomplishment, i'd just like to see more action from the two. hell, i'd like to see roger roll with anyone. imagine him entering ADCC, i get all giddy just thinking about it.

It's a sweep he used in the past and teaches not some accidental scramble.

i've seen him use the sweep before, just don't recall anyone landing directly into that position off of a guard pull. also, relax guys, i'm not saying roger won by accident.

He said in the interview after the match and also off the mat that he's retiring from BJJ. He should've retired on August 26 instead. Lol

well, that sucks.

i've seen him use the sweep before, just don't recall anyone landing directly into that position off of a guard pull. also, relax guys, i'm not saying roger won by accident.

He landed like that due to what Buchecha decided to do to counter the pull. He put his knee up to defy the pull, and that caused him to fall off balance into the awkward position for him.

He has done this countless times to others but the difference this time was the grip Roger had on the left hand of Buchecha. He usually does his counter with that hand of his free, or has a dominant grip on his opponent. You can clearly see Buchecha trying to post with the hand as Roger pulled, Buchecha bringing up his knee, falling off balance and attempting to post with the hand. It is being controlled and gets pulled out from under him, causing his to base with his elbow and resulting in the compromised position

Geez, watching the video again, when everyone is running out in crazy celebration, Renzo just strolls out there taking video like he's not even pumped and isn't surprised at all despite coaching Roger all those years and cornering him for the match. Walks directly over to offer a kind word to Buchecha before even acknowledging Roger or the celebration, and then gets involved in the congratulations.

Holy shit. That's fucking crazy.

He landed like that due to what Buchecha decided to do to counter the pull. He put his knee up to defy the pull, and that caused him to fall off balance into the awkward position for him.

He has done this countless times to others but the difference this time was the grip Roger had on the left hand of Buchecha. He usually does his counter with that hand of his free, or has a dominant grip on his opponent. You can clearly see Buchecha trying to post with the hand as Roger pulled, Buchecha bringing up his knee, falling off balance and attempting to post with the hand. It is being controlled and gets pulled out from under him, causing his to base with his elbow and resulting in the compromised position

You suggest a key subtext of the match, which is that Buchecha was served poorly by his Sport BJJ instincts. Every time Roger got an advantage, Buchecha tried to aggressively counter instead of accepting the guard pull, pass, back, etc. and consolidating his defense. While this strategy is certainly a big reason why Buchecha has been successful (he's famous for "turning it up" when he feels threatened), I think it cost him big time here.

I was pulling for Roger, but holy hell. This domination clearly proves Roger wasn't 100% in his first match. There is no question, GOAT. Older, lighter, and not having competed against the top competition for years, and yet comes out of the fucking woodwork and completely dominates a dominant Buchecha, who, other than Roger, has no equal. I bow at the altar of the jiu-jitsu god, Roger!

I disagree. I fully buy the prevailing narrative from that first match that Buchecha was successful because of his modern style throwing Roger for a loop. Roger was doing okay in that match at times, but the sweep and later the armbar seemed to come from Buchecha zagging when Roger expected him to zig. In yesterday's match, I think the decisive moment came when Buchecha decided to counter the sweep with a complex inverted sequence instead of just accepting it and trying to safely play a guard. Roger was ready for it this time, and Buchecha ended up in a very vulnerable passing position (which he instinctively turtled out of instead of trying to consolidate a safe side control).

He lasted one minute with Roger on the ground. Wow.

I disagree. I fully buy the prevailing narrative from that first match that Buchecha was successful because of his modern style throwing Roger for a loop. Roger was doing okay in that match at times, but the sweep and later the armbar seemed to come from Buchecha zagging when Roger expected him to zig. In yesterday's match, I think the decisive moment came when Buchecha decided to counter the sweep with a complex inverted sequence instead of just accepting it and trying to safely play a guard. Roger was ready for it this time, and Buchecha ended up in a very vulnerable passing position (which he instinctively turtled out of instead of trying to consolidate a safe side control).
I wouldn't say its prevailing that Buchecha's modern style threw Roger for a loop - some say it was and others that it was because Roger was sick and gassed.

I find it hard to believe that since that metamoris match, having still not competed, all while Buchecha himself is competing, evolving and improving, Roger somehow magically figured out Buchecha's number just by rolling with students. If you don't count useless time of standup, Roger pulled guard and submitted Buchecha under a minute.

Again, its unlikely Roger would improve THAT much doing relatively nothing compared to what Buchecha was doing all those years.

What's more realistic is that Roger was always better, but his illness prevented him performing 100% and when he was 100% his true capability was shown.

I'm utterly impressed.
You can see the slight grin in Roger's face when he is getting the grips deeper.

He grins a lot when everything's locked in.

There was that ADCC jacare match where he was grinning ear to ear while on his back.

Back