Rogan and Big John agree that WME overpaid for UFC by over 2 billion

Dozer .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Timestamped

Rogan and Big John agree that the Fertittas conned WME.

Do you?

Don’t got time this morning to listen to that, but, yes.

I believe they overpaid by way more than that.

Big john also denied FUCKING Aldo’s face into oblivian

McGregor was a huge part of that deal and he doesn't even want to fight. Stars bring interest and ufc has very few stars.

If they bought it after Ronda's downfall, Jones's self-destruction and Conor running for the hills, yeah they overpaid.

Kept listening until Rogan said that Raquel Pennington is world class.

McGregor was a huge part of that deal and he doesn't even want to fight. Stars bring interest and ufc has very few stars.

He does want to fight....just not on his last contract. Khabib is going to force him to settle though. He wants to kick his ass.

It's hard to say if they over paid at this point. Time will tell but 4 Billion is a hell of a cost to make up.

I said the exact same thing. 2 billion was what it was truly worth. I believe all the other offers were in the 2 billion range. But WME felt they just HAD to buy the UFC. When you have a commodity someone wants, the paying party will pay almost anything to have it.

Small microcosm of that. My uncle had a nice Harley Davidson he paid about 13 grand for. He fixed it up and everything. He had a neighbor that just adored that motorcycle. First he offered 15k. Then 20k. Then finally 25k. It was an offer my uncle couldn't refuse so he sold it for 25k. That was extra money he could use to get a new motorcycle and have money left over for his family. Etc.

I think the Fertitas played their hand to the point where they were kind of like. We could sell or not sell. If someone offers us stupid cash. We will sell. And that someone was WME.

Remains to be seen
They aren't trying to buy it then immediately flip it
I bet people were saying Zuffa over paid when the UFC looked dead in the water and they purchased it for 2mil

It's a marathon not a sprint

Joe and John are correct in saying that the UFC overpaid but they are wrong about Pennington's corner doing the wrong thing. They did the right thing.

It's a good podcast episode. Big John and Joe are both passionate about the sport.

Do you think Netflix really cost 116 Billion*, or was it worth 26 billion USD when Microsoft bought Linked In? Sometimes it does take a little more than the actual worth when you are going to acquire a hot commodity like this. Business as usual.

*Yes it's Netflix' market cap at this moment & at its $324/share it's terribly overvalued.

No,

The new TV and streaming deals they sign will double their revenue and they don't have to give the fighters a single penny of it.

It will probably be worth more than 4 billion by the end of the year.

Thing is though, I doubt the Fertetta brothers would have sold it for any less. They're obviously very good business men and knew that eventually someone would overpay. That's just speculation though of course. Who really knows.

the UFC hit the escalator to allow the Fertittas to receive further payments after the sale. it seems the Fertittas ran the UFC with so much fat that proper management and cost cutting even with sinking PPV numbers is enough for the UFC to be worth what WME paid.

Remains to be seen
They aren't trying to buy it then immediately flip it
I bet people were saying Zuffa over paid when the UFC looked dead in the water and they purchased it for 2mil

It's a marathon not a sprint

i think the difference is, Zuffa took something that was dead and brought it back to life.

WME bought something that seemed like it was full of life, and now 2 years later in hindsight seems like they bought it at the tail end of it's crescendo and they do not have the know how to bring it back to life again, and right now they seem to be desperately scrambling to try and stop the bleeding.

the UFC hit the escalator to allow the Fertittas to receive further payments after the sale. it seems the Fertittas ran the UFC with so much fat that proper management and cost cutting even with sinking PPV numbers is enough for the UFC to be worth what WME paid.
That's at least what we are told. I think the Fertitas ran a tight ship. No excess fat as you claim. I think the Fertitas simply saw the writing on the wall. They predicted to see the popularity of MMA winding down. They also knew that they were going to have to pay fighters MORE now. All of that combined made the UFC profit margin less for them. This isn't 2006 to 2012. Back in those years they had a ton of stars and didn't have to pay them as much.

Back