Rocky is one of the greatest movies of all time!

Imalive

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rocky came out well before I was born. Rocky 4 is the one I remember the most and rocky 5 is the only one I actually went to the theater to see.

As an adult I have come to appreciate how great of a movie the original rocky actually is. The writing and story telling is probably the best I have ever seen. The acting by every single character is amazing. It's a movie about a boxer but the boxing has very little to do with the actual movie which makes it great IMO.

The Rocky series is my favorite of all time.
With that said - I think the first Rocky is overrated.
But im no film critic snob.
I would much rather watch any other Rocky including Creed over Rocky 1.

Four acting nominations in that film and for good reason. That's not including the very good performances by Carl Weathers, Joe Spinell and Thayer David.

The problem with Rocky is the actual boxing. Dude blocks punches with his face.

The problem with Rocky is the actual boxing. Dude blocks punches with his face.

That's one of the most important traits of the character.

"You got heart kid but you fight like a god damn ape!"

If you're saying you'd watch Rocky V over the first Rocky I can't take you seriously. Rocky created an entire genre, and is the best of all of the Rockys.

Over rated??

IMO best to worst is
Rocky1
Rocky2
Rocky4
Rocky3
Creed
Rocky Balboa
Rocky5

If he dies, he dies

First Rocky was by far the best one IMO. What is your AV. I can't quite place the fighter.

As fun as Rocky II - IV are, they are clearly not great films. Rocky on the other hand is.

Rocky was about developing the character with boxing as a back drop (initially Stallone envisioned the character as a taxi driver who went on to run for mayor, but changed it because of Taxi Driver). The sequels are basically just generic macho action films.

As fun as Rocky II - IV are, they are clearly not great films. Rocky on the other hand is.

Rocky was about developing the character with boxing as a back drop (initially Stallone envisioned the character as a taxi driver who went on to run for mayor, but changed it because of Taxi Driver). The sequels are basically just generic macho action films.

Rocky II is excellent.

1,2 and Creed

3 and 4 are also good but flirt with being a bit cheesy.

Balboa was a notch below but I liked how they modernized it with HBO

5 was just sad.

The movie that popularized one of my favourite cinematic cliches. The training sequence. Closely related to portraying badass killers getting all their gear ready for a night on the town.

Rocky 1, is one of my all time favorite films, I just love the theme of the character as a person. You can be whoever, have whatever shortcomings or obstacles stacked against you and just keep moving forward.
Just like he says in Balboa, its not how hard you hit, it how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, or something along those lines

Gotta place Rocky at the top of the list. Awesome character development that I only appreciated later in life when I got older. That's the magic of this film: I enjoyed watching it as a kid, teenager, and as an adult. That kind of writing and acting is sublime.

Gotta place Rocky at the top of the list. Awesome character development that I only appreciated later in life when I got older. That's the magic of this film: I enjoyed watching it as a kid, teenager, and as an adult. That kind of writing and acting is sublime.
The dynamic between Rocky and each other character is so amazing. When mic comes to his house and is telling him how much heart he has and trying to smooth talk him and he says "but I ain't got no locker"

When Poly flips out and Adrien asks him if he wants a roommate.

Everything is so genuine and real. It's obvious why it was so popular.

Back