Rockson Gracie (bjjheroes article)

SBJ

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
From: http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/rockson-gracie

Rockson.jpg

Rockson Gracie, the oldest son of the legendary Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter and MMA pioneer Rickson Gracie, who was considered by many to be one of the greatest prospects in BJJ during the 1990′s decade. A 3x Pan American Champion by the age of 19, Rockson Gracie would also become one of the sports saddest losses when he passed away on December of 2000 in a New York hotel room due to a drug overdose. In 2011 the Rockson Gracie Foundation was founded, the focus of the charity is to reach underprivileged youngsters often tempted by drugs or gangs, and provide them with a fun and competitive outlet.

Rockson Gracie Biography

Rockson Gracie was born in 1982, being the son of arguably the greatest Jiu Jitsu competitor of all time, Mr Rickson Gracie and the former model Kim Gracie. Rockson was the oldest out of 4 children (Rockson, Kauan, Kaulin and Kron Gracie).

With an amazing track record, an intense look (shaven head, tattoos) and Rickson Gracie always by his side, Rockson Gracie became somewhat of a sensation in the US

Last edited:
Hmmm....so really the guy isn't a hero at all, just a drug addict.

well, it's too bad his life ended the way it did but i don't think that's a really fair assessment considering he did have some competition success:

Pan American Champion (1998 blue, 1999 and 2000 purple)
Pan American Bronze Medallist (1997 blue)

you never want to have to bury your own children so even though the rickson x sakuraba fight would've been epic at the time, it's understandable why rickson just went AWOL to grieve.

I can't imagine being Renzo and having to make that call to Rickson to inform him that his son is dead. What a terrible situation.

From what I have heard in the past, Rockson was a great BJJ player and even a better prospect than Kron is.

It's a sad he died from substance abuse.

It would have been interesting to see what he would have accomplished in the BJJ world.

Thats a bit harsh IMO, I don't know much about the kid but from the article he just split up with his GF. It is possible that in his grief he made a bad decision that cost him his life.

I cannot vouch for his character but I certainly cannot tell if he was an addict from this lone article.

I can't imagine being Renzo and having to make that call to Rickson to inform him that his son is dead. What a terrible situation.

I remember reading once that this lead to a rift in the family for awhile. Some people blamed Renzo and felt he should have been looking out for Rockson.

Maybe because he thought people would be interested. I'm glad he did, I hadn't read it yet.

Thanks for the link OP

OP only posts about the Gracie University and their online grading system.

We all know that he get paid to do it or get something out of it.

I just found it strange that he would just post this information about the death of the oldest son of Rickson Gracie.

Is there a beef between Gracie University and Rickson Gracie?

I understand that people are curious about it. It is old news however.

I just found it strange that he would just post this information about the death of the oldest son of Rickson Gracie.

Yeah I thought it was strange to post this too. It is old news (literally like 13 years old now). It is also something that Rickson tried very hard to cover up.

It's all about the money. Haven't you guys figured it out yet?

well, im glado its been posted, I dindnt even know rickson had other kids besides rockson and kron... anyone knows whats up with the other daughters?

Rockson Gracie fight 1997

SBJ posts more than GU things, but it does seems that nearly everything posted is just content from somewhere else. He/she is like the embodiment of content aggregation, with the sole purpose of driving internet traffic to certain places.

I can't imagine being Rickson and hearing your cousin call to say your son is dead.

SBJ posts more than GU things, but it does seems that nearly everything posted is just content from somewhere else. He/she is like the embodiment of content aggregation, with the sole purpose of driving internet traffic to certain places.

Yeah, but that being the case he often posts a lot of good content. Take it for what it is.

Back