Rockholds game plan was deplorable | Page 3

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KnockUOut, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Sano Black Belt

Sano
    Yeah it's a double edged sword for him that lead hook pullback. Mostly it's just been very bad for him in his last few fights. It's also works much better in the open stance (southpaw vs ortho) because the outside angle and pivot is much easier to use and the rear hand is less of a threat. Still, he rarely pivots on it anyway, if at all. That's why it's more of a leanback.

Hunt does a simular move all the time too, even in his fight with Blaydes last night. He however is excellent at the timing and distancing required and to make it work. He also slightly slips to the his right when he does it. Looked really good on the feet last night, unfortunately the takedowns did him in again.

Swarthy and Mike like this.
  2. Mike God of Thunder

Mike
    I think it's a carryover from mma being a rinky dink sport with no money in it, that nobody gave a shit about. A lot of people wormed their way in during that time and are now seen as "experts", but.....

[​IMG]

3. Mike God of Thunder

Mike
    His body kicks are really great, I thought for sure that would be his gameplan. Kick from the outside, catch Romero lunging in for hooks, and slowly wear him down for the championship rounds.

magicmarker likes this.
  4. IJ25 Blue Belt

IJ25
    It was always a terrible matchup - I actually give him credit for taking the fight when he twice could have pulled out.

His strengths are physical dominance, ground game and his range. You can't physically dominate Romero, damn hard to take him down and he's too explosive to stave off. Add to that Romero's power and Rockhold's boxing defence and I'm amazed the odds weren't heavily in Yoel's favour. Glad they weren't though. Sure he could have went for some TD's but if he gets knee KO'd in the face then someone else probably starts this thread.

MMACroatia and Mike like this.
  5. NationWideNinja Purple Belt

NationWideNinja
    Rockhold always had these issues, but Henri Hooft sure isnt the guy to fix them. Could there be a bigger overrated bum of a coach?

BennySomo likes this.
  6. PapaBherd Brown Belt

PapaBherd
    Pretty much. The annoyance brought about by those lead leg attacks should've been enough to open the door for some combinations, but Rockhold was content going tit for tat with Romero. Not to mention, he's still incredibly linear with his defense, and his counters rely on him having perfect timing for them to work.

magicmarker likes this.
  7. PapaBherd Brown Belt

PapaBherd
    The Edmond Tarverdyan story right here.

Mike likes this.
  8. Lifeform Blue Belt

Lifeform
    [​IMG]

Touchbutt evolved.

Swarthy likes this.
  9. Mike God of Thunder

Mike
    Haha! I was actually thinking of him when I posted that. In what other sport would a talent like Ronda end up training with such a hack?

A_bomb47 likes this.
  10. FrankWank Green Belt

FrankWank
    I usually do not wish harm on fighters but man I don’t like Rockhold.
    “no one has ever out technique me”
    Smug ass lol

11. BennySomo Orange Belt

BennySomo
    i like how his go to advice when his fighters are losing is shouting "dont give up" at them. Ye thanks henri thats gonna help me....

NationWideNinja, Mike and Sano like this.
  12. genecop Black Belt

genecop
    Def was not a good idea to have Romero backing him up..Luke had to damn the torpedoes and push forward..easier said than done..props to Rockhold.

Mike likes this.
  13. blaseblah Silver Belt

blaseblah
    Absolutely nothing Luke did offensively was the issue. He did everything right. His issues are entirely defensively. When pressured he backs up in a straight line and has no head movement or any defensive techniques once backed up to the cage.

Show me one fight where he's backed up against the cage and manages to escape.

Swarthy likes this.
  14. PapaBherd Brown Belt

PapaBherd
    Yup. And what's funny is if Luke hand just pulled all the way back straight like he typically does, we might not be having this conversation. He opted to dip inside, and since he was throwing a raised lead hook, his view was obstructed by his OWN punch. His last recollection of the fight might've been the Yoel's double jab.

As for Hunt, he's always had excellent timing. His walk away KO's are basically a timing highlight reel(especially that Nelson, personal fave).

Swarthy, Thepaintbucket and Sano like this.
  15. PapaBherd Brown Belt

PapaBherd
    I can't imagine another trainer having a mural of himself next to one of the GOATs, professional hotdog eating included.

Thepaintbucket and Mike like this.
  16. Oeshon ช่างมันเถอะ

Oeshon
    Agreed. He was looking ok there in the third when he started working off his jab

17. MMACroatia Purple Belt

MMACroatia
    Luke has poor takedowns and it would never work on Romero,he knows it so he didn't bother doing it.
    Any type of wrestling in this fight would be one sided.

18. Willy Lump Lump Shaman Belt

Willy Lump Lump
    Romero just pushed forward into boxing range. Cormier style.

19. Willy Lump Lump Shaman Belt

Willy Lump Lump
    Yea, Yoel moved forward mostly, closing the range, and taking away kicks kinda. Romero had to get into boxing range, he did, and thats where the success came from

Mike likes this.
  20. quadrunner Purple Belt

quadrunner
    I agree, Whittaker laid the blueprint you have to pressure and constantly make Romero work because his style is low volume and then explode but if he is constantly on the defense he can't time his flurries and he will get tired faster.

I really think those first couple leg kicks Romero checked got into rockholds head and hurt his leg badly. He stopped throwing kicks and chose to box with Romero after that because they clearly hurt his leg or confidence in throwing his kicks.

Weird fight all around tbh, I was expecting luke to throw a ton of kicks because who cares if Romero takes him down off of a kick since rockhold has such good scrambling ability and JJ. Instead he pretty much just boxed with Romero which seems like a terrible strategy, especially when you have the reach and kicking advantage as well as bad boxing defense and an iffy chin.

Swarthy, Mike and magicmarker like this.