Rockholds game plan was deplorable

KnockUOut

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think it was quite obvious he was waiting for Romero to punch himself out. I think he was planning on increasing the pressure late in the third and continue into the championship rounds.

Unload, reload style of Romero though. Really poor planning by Luke and his team.

I think it was quite obvious he was waiting for Romero to punch himself out. I think he was planning on increasing the pressure late in the third and continue into the championship rounds.

Unload, reload style of Romero though. Really poor planning by Luke and his team.

Which team? Breh spent his whole camp half way across the country in a totally different gym. Then showed up to fight night with Javier. <JerryWWF>

Yeah it was a terrible gameplan considering Luke Rockholds success has been with him going on the offense and taking the fight to his opponent. The guy has limited defense and should avoid it as much as possible. It's the equivalent of telling Overeem or Vitor to fight on the defense.

GSP could TKO Rockhold too.

Anytime someone fights to their opponents strength and away from their own strengths it's a questionable gameplan.

This was definitely a questionable gameplan.

After Yoel touched him in the second round, Luke knew he was in deep shit.

What was Luke supposed to do? There wasn't much of a path to victory for him. This was an easy fight to call.

Rockhold needed to force the pace and make Romero tired. Just asking for trouble letting that mountain of muscle have a flurry then recover as much as he liked.

Last edited:
What should have Luke's plan been? He typically comes forward for the most part, but he's never been the walk you down type of pressure fighter. He has a somewhat laid back style and likes to come forward, but maintain a distance and use his kicks. He was mostly doing that up until the end of the fight when Yoel decided to pressure him again. I don't think his main problem was his plan, I think it was his lack of defense. He's always had mediocre defense and it gets even worse when he's going backwards. He needs to fix that hole in his game more than anything.

Anytime Rockhold was touched he flew backwards into the fence. Dude your 6’3” with reach, fight like it.

He did say he had something waiting for him.

giphy.gif

Past the 4 min mark of round 1 he looked like absolute shit. Worst performance of his career. When in the fuck does Rockhold triple jab? Whatever he's been doing since leaving AKA sure isn't cutting it.

As soon as the fight started, he knew he was in trouble. He didn't expect Yoel to be much faster than him. Then he tasted the power, and had to fall back.

It never looked like Luke as going to ever finish Yoel. But Yoel looked like he was going to finish Luke.

Romero's wrestling negates Luke greatest strength (top game). Romero is just the better fighter.

Yep. Can't believe his corner didn't tell him to look for a TD or threaten some at least.

Agreed. You need to pressure Romero to beat him. He's well aware of his cardio limits, as illustrated by his patient fighting style, so he wont gas himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back