Rockhold is overrated on Sherdog

IMO here are Rockhold's strengths and weaknesses: He's a beast when he gets on top but doesn't have the greatest takedowns. Very good subs, particularly of the choke variety. He has very nice strong kicks but lacks power and technique in his hands. He gets a little lackadaisical in his defense sometimes holding his hands low in striking range. He tends to be very patient and not rush things both striking and grappling. I think Whittaker is a very bad style matchup for him but he's a favorite over almost everybody else in the division except maybe Yoel who might be starting to decline with age.

Says Rockhold is overrated on here when he gets shit on and hated all the time then goes on to call RW the best boxer in MMA lol

Wtf?

I don't like his striking. He is very slow and I just think the quicker guys can eat him up. His takedowns are really good though and so is his jiu jitsu - and his top game is really sick

He’s going to get killed by Bobby. Terrible match up.

He won against Jacare. Bisping is not one of his 2 best wins by any means.

Jacare, Kennedy, Machida, weidman, and Bisping are all solid wins.

But TS isn't wrong--Luke does have shitty striking defense, and he doesn't really have an offensive take down game.

Where does this rumor come from that Rockhold doesn't have good takedowns? Rockhold was one of the very few guys to ever take down Weidman. He has good takedowns and wouldn't be surprised if he gets anyone down in the MW division.

That being said Whitaker is still the only guy in the division I would pick to beat him.

He gets most of his takedowns after other fighters initiate the clinch with him.

His boxing defense is crap but he has good offensive kickboxing and his grappling is great

He WAS overrated after he beat Weidman. Now he is severely underrated. Even though I think Whittaker will beat him... He's the favourite with the bookmakers for a reason.
Pretty sure Whittaker is the favorite buddeh

This is the first thread I've seen where is rated at all in seriousness. All the other times I see him mentioned it's "rocksalt" etc etc. I think he's top 2.

He WAS overrated after he beat Weidman. Now he is severely underrated. Even though I think Whittaker will beat him... He's the favourite with the bookmakers for a reason.
Whittaker is the favorite

I think he is in the middle. But overrated.... Most people on here have him getting knocked out by Bobby Knuckles.

His top wins are Weidman and Bisping and he looked meh at best against Branch. Luke Rocksalt was getting lit up on the feet until Branch decided for some reason to take the fight to the ground (Lukes strongest area).
Bisping is on a 2 fight skid and arguably 3 if you thought 46 y/o Hendo won the rematch, and Weidman just got his first win in 4 fights against a Welterweight.

Rockhold has some of the worst boxing in MMA and will be facing arguably the best boxer in all of MMA. Rockhold also has next to no take-down offense and Whittaker has the highest Take-Down defense % in the MW division and one of the highest in MMA.
I expect the Whittaker fight to be an absolute blow-out, Rockhold will last 2 rounds at best before Bobby Knuckles gets the KO/TKO.

giphy.gif
He isnt overrated at all. He does have an issue with dropping his hands and refuses to fix it. I understand he sets up kicks this way but both Bisping clipped him and David Branch had him back peddling ....Whittaker wins by Knockout unless Luke can get him to the ground and impose his grappling game.

Sherdog is filled with latent homosexuals ready to s**** off any good looking guy/big black guy

Regardless of fighting ability.

Beat Jacare, prime Tim Kennedy, Bisping, Machida, and Weidman. That’s not including the absolute beatings he put on lower tier fighters like Branch, Boetsch, Jardine, and Costas Philipoo. Only MW fighter on the UFC roster with more premiere wins at 185 is Silva and he is done with the 2nd failed test.

While Rockhold was beating names like that to earn his shot at the title Whittaker was busy getting KOed by welterweights, gtfo of here clown.

Mabye top 5 but definitely not top 3. Questionable chin and shit boxing defense are two pretty big holes. His grappling is definitely elite though. Sherdog overrated for sure.

TBH, I think he has the best dimensions and skills at MW. I think the Bisping fight was a total fluke (not unlike Serra).

I don't believe any version of Anderson Silva would have beaten him.

Pretty sure Whittaker is the favorite buddeh

We'll there you go. Today Whittaker is 1.60, Rockhold 2.20. Yesterday, Whittaker was 2.00 and Rockhold was 1.80. Didn't take long for gamblers to shift the lines.

Edit: Those are very good odds for Rockhold. Rockhold will be the best striker Whittaker has faced since Wonderboy and he will have a decent length advantage. Dangerous fight for Robert.

Back