Robot apocalypse will be on us soon

matrix50_03.jpg

I think singularity doesn't seem that far fetched an idea.

AIs have shown the ability to learn and adapt at a faster rate and are less prone to human errors and emotions. I wouldn't be surprised if they surpass human in engineering feats and humans become dependent on them for advancement.

And then imagine AI mimicking humans on the concepts of self-preservation, domination, pursuit of long-life and perhaps immortality. And then also learning that humans have the power to turn them off, thereby effectively "kill" them. Sounds like the makings of a potential uprising.
Even if they improve on advances they make that does not equate to consciousness. My major issue with AI consciousness or singularity is no one can explain it. At all.

An intelligent program is easy to understand. An electric machine somehow "willing" for itself needs an explanation.

Even if they improve on advances they make that does not equate to consciousness. My major issue with AI consciousness or singularity is no one can explain it. At all.

An intelligent program is easy to understand. An electric machine somehow "willing" for itself needs an explanation.

It wouldn't be true "consciousness" in the human sense, but perceived consciousness. It might learn human emotions, e.g. sadness when a machine "dies"; anguish when a human turns off another machine; herd mentality of defending other programs; enslavement of physically weak, etc.

It wouldn't be true "consciousness" in the human sense, but perceived consciousness. It might learn human emotions, e.g. sadness when a machine "dies"; anguish when a human turns off another machine; herd mentality of defending other programs; enslavement of physically weak, etc.
I agree with you. But the powers who believe singularity will happen are in fact talking about conscious machines. Not well programmed machines.

That's what they mean by the term "singularity."

I agree with you. But the powers who believe singularity will happen are in fact talking about conscious machines. Not well programmed machines.

That's what they mean by the term "singularity."

I think there's a few different arguments on singularity. I guess you're right if the argument is that machines are truly conscious. I still think the repercussions for humans are equally dangerous be it real or perceived consciousness.

AI won't happen within our lifetime.

But when they lie to you you'll probably believe them.
AI will probably happen in our lifetime if not our kids.

You went from it will never happen to it will take centuries to if it does it's a lie. Sounds like you are not sure what you believe.

AI will be a deception. It will appear legit but will be a lie.

We are centuries away from that tech.

My wife works with machine learning etc to revolutionise businesses for the British government. She says everyone in the industry is worried it's around the corner, that every military and global tech company is pulling out all the stops to be first.

I wish you were right but it seems that you are not.

People have no idea. They really dont. In fact if you bring up the near future having AI infinitely smarter than us, they will laugh at you like its a joke or not probable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. In no less than 10, 15 years MAX. There will be an AI that is 100000000000000000x more powerful than every human that has ever existed, combined.

We will create it, it will go online, immediately re-program its self, then re-program its self again, and so on, and so on....a never ending ever increasing update of its self until it is basically a god.

lol@so many doubters. Like t he guy in this thread that said we are CENTURIES away. ROFL. Talk about head in the sand.

edit: oh I just saw its that databreach guy. the guy that talks about ghosts and ghouls and wolfmen. But no no, not advance AI...thats ridiculous!

Huge difference between a well programmed computer and a conscious machine. Even then, arguments can be made if a machine is conscious it might not be electronic.

Actually it's kinda the other way around, your own experience of consciousness is an illusion already.

True AI will be a mirror of its creator. Impulsive and constantly seeking the next upgrade will be universal. Then similar to how theres good and shitty people there will be good and shitty AI. AI cop meet AI robber is how itll go. I dont think its gonna be a case of one ruling "queen bee" so to speak.

Theres a bunch of different groups working on the shit at the moment and all will mimic the creator. First outta the gate matters big time. For fucking sure were not ready yet but I dont have much of an issue with self destruction by way of hubris, kinda funny actually.

AI will probably happen in our lifetime if not our kids.

You went from it will never happen to it will take centuries to if it does it's a lie. Sounds like you are not sure what you believe.

People have no idea. They really dont. In fact if you bring up the near future having AI infinitely smarter than us, they will laugh at you like its a joke or not probable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. In no less than 10, 15 years MAX. There will be an AI that is 100000000000000000x more powerful than every human that has ever existed, combined.

We will create it, it will go online, immediately re-program its self, then re-program its self again, and so on, and so on....a never ending ever increasing update of its self until it is basically a god.

I'm pretty sure it'll happen in the next 10 years. It's already starting.

AI can process information infinitely faster than humans. Download that AI into a mechanical body and that superior intellect takes on a superior physical form. And unlike humans who needs to sleep 1/3 of the time, take meal breaks and rests, a machine runs at 100% efficiency until its battery runs out and it just needs an hour or 2 to recharge.

My wife works with machine learning etc to revolutionise businesses for the British government. She says everyone in the industry is worried it's around the corner, that every military and global tech company is pulling out all the stops to be first.

I wish you were right but it seems that you are not.

Unfortunately humans will cause their own downfall. Countries and governments trying to outdo each other, all the power play and ego, will lead to more dangerous weapons and advanced tech and AI. I wonder which comes first, humans wiping each other out due to stupidity or AI doing the job for us.

Which is exactly how humans learn and evolve, by studying theory and picking up patterns in the real world. And no doubt all AI are programs created using numbers and algorithms, which is why they're called "artificial".

AIs programmed to do a certain tasks like playing chess and DOTA are specifically programmed to do so hence there're boundaries to what they can achieve. Facebook and Microsoft AIs were programmed to interact without boundaries and they learnt to pick up patterns - both good and bad - at an exponentially higher pace than humans. The Facebook AIs weren't programmed to develop a new language but they did, and they learnt to negotiate just like humans do at a much faster rate.
oh god. wasn't that 'ai inventing its own language' shit debunked already?

I'm pretty sure it'll happen in the next 10 years. It's already starting.

AI can process information infinitely faster than humans. Download that AI into a mechanical body and that superior intellect takes on a superior physical form. And unlike humans who needs to sleep 1/3 of the time, take meal breaks and rests, a machine runs at 100% efficiency until its battery runs out and it just needs an hour or 2 to recharge.
Lol. My phones barely charge that fast. That thing in the OP probably runs out of battery in at most 30 minutes

oh god. wasn't that 'ai inventing its own language' shit debunked already?

No it wasn't.

What was debunked was the sensational media headlines that claimed Facebook shutdown the AI program because they were alarmed by it.

Lol. My phones barely charge that fast. That thing in the OP probably runs out of battery in at most 30 minutes

Your phones charge way quicker now (considering the power consumption) and can store more power than it did 10 years ago. 1-2 hours to fully charge that robot in the OP may be an exaggeration now but it wouldn't be the case in the future. Not to mention battery technology is continuously advancing.

But in 2008, 2018, 2028 regardless, humans still need the same hours of sleep.

Last edited:
Back