Roberto Satoshi matches at Abu Dhabi Pro?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Mikey Triangles, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

Mikey Triangles
  2. Shemhazai Black Belt

Shemhazai
    I've only seen the ones you just posted, but would like to add that Satoshi is officially my new man-crush.

3. KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

KahleyTriangles
    Haha this.

I remember watching him choke out Langhi and feeling this way.

4. KarateFist Purple Belt

KarateFist
    I second this, straight up badass

5. Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Cash Bill 52
  6. BjjSteve27 Orange Belt

BjjSteve27
    When did he choke out Langhi?

Are you referring to Jordan Schultz?

7. jasoncyclops** Red Belt

jasoncyclops**
    He didn't choke out Langhi (i doubt anyone lightweight in the world can finish Langhi)

8. JordonWSchultz Yellow Belt

JordonWSchultz
    He choked me to sleep at the 2010 Euros. He's never submitted Langhi.

Dude is a beast. What I'm trying to understand from a psychological perspective is how to replicate his transformation.

He's always been an awesome competitor but he's made an huge jump in the level of competition and he's mentally adapted perfectly.

The hardest part of competing at higher levels is the mental aspect.

I believe his fathers death, with all due respect, has played a large role in his determination and mental fortitude.

Can anyone shed more light on how the death of a loved one can influence an athletes performance?

I read that Dan gable's sister was raped/murdered and he actually bought the house it happend in and slept in the same room.

9. DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

DevinTheDewd

What a crazy post.

10. JordonWSchultz Yellow Belt

JordonWSchultz
    why?

11. littleone Orange Belt

littleone
    Jordons right, his fathers death showed an effect on his competition. Obviously its not the sole reason because he's a really talented and hard working individual but his transition was seemless.

12. Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

Mikey Triangles
    We shall see, lightweight is pretty stacked these days, and everyone is only getting better. 2 years ago nobody would have expected Cobrinha to get tapped out at feather.

13. GracieMMABarra Word.

GracieMMABarra
    Hears the thing, the potential Satoshi has hasn't been seen. He's already in his first year as a black belt beaten top guys. You're talking about a guy who isn't training the with the best guys (No disrespect to his school) in Japan. When, and I'm sure he will be, training with Atos for a bit and a few more years he will only get much better.

Much like Rafa Mendes it seems there's the ability to really separate himself from the rest with time.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  14. GracieMMABarra Word.

GracieMMABarra
    I'm sure there's some info on the web about tragic events effect on individual lives. Dan is a freak of nature, which mentally speaking, few are going to match or want to. Belfort is an example of a tragic event influencing his career negatively for years before turning it around.

15. Cachimbo Blue Belt

Cachimbo
    Emotion is linked to enhanced memory/performance due to several reasons. Rushes of emotion and adrenaline are linked to "burning" events in your mind, and affecting several aspects of your memory (which may be related to why competition is so beneficial to enhancing your skills). You have many different types of memory, so it's very difficult to study how they are all related and affected by traumatic/emotional events, but generally scientists have observed enhanced memory, recollection, response, focus, etc. after deeply emotional events take place.

Here is an abstract of an article that relates to this issue. If you have access to "mind" or other databases I highly recommend reading up on this stuff. It's really interesting and if you're a neuroscience/psychology geek like me you end up being able to apply this stuff to real life. Some of this stuff has helped me with visualization and developing my memory.

"Emotion Enhances Remembrance of Neutral Events Past"​
    "
    Emotion is also intimately connected to cognitive control. So your decision making, prioritization, short v. long term analysis, etc. all work intimately with your emotional states and are affected by emotional events. We traditionally separate emotion from "reason," logic and performance, but recently we've started to understand that all of these processes work together. Even though neural processes are localized they interact with each other in extremely complex ways that we don't understand well yet.

Disclaimer: Killing your loved ones not recommended

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  16. DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

DevinTheDewd
    Satoshi was on the path towards being a champion at black belt before his fathers death. If you look at his game he is very well rounded. His guard is aggressive and encompasses some sweeps that people aren't used to seeing. His top game has a lot of pressure and he obviously does high amounts of repetition.

A better question may be... what makes any competitor able to hang with the top level black belts within a year of their promotion from brown belt.

Examples:

Mendes Bros
    Satoshi
    JT Torres seems to have been pretty successful since his promotion.

Anyone else? Any idea why they would be special cases comparatively?

17. Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

Oliver Geddes
    Just for the record...satoshi fought both Michael langhi and leandro lo at purple. He beat leandro at least. He is purple and brown back to back world champion. It's not like he came out of nowhere, right?

18. Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

Oliver Geddes
    Braga Neto got bronze first year. after winning blue double, purple double and brown double in three years.

19. GracieMMABarra Word.

GracieMMABarra
    Octavio Souza did well his first tourney as a black belt (I think it was Pan or No Gi Worlds. Pretty sure Pan)

20. bearcat4 Orange Belt

bearcat4
    Werdum won blue double in 2000, silver in purple absolute 2001, bronze at brown in 2002, and in 2003 he got gold in ultra heavy and bronze in absolute