Robert Whittaker: I won't fight Yoel Romero if he miss weight at UFC 225

Does this mean Whittaker feels like missing weight is more unprofessional than testing positive for steroids? I mean he literally said it's the most unprofessional thing you can do. Or does testing positive fall outside the lines of professionality??

so what you are saying is you never cut weight in your life, lol good talk kid

I wrestled for over 10 years and coached.He's a professional,a month should be enough to make weight,don't be an idiot.

Completely fair. You shouldn't be obligated to fight someone when they haven't fulfilled their obligations either

I'd ask for 50% of his purse and fight him.

I wrestled for over 10 years and coached.He's a professional,a month should be enough to make weight,don't be an idiot.
Most of the high level guys need more then that time to make weight. R u new to mma or what

If a champ is going to use 1lb or 2lbs as an excuse to bail on a main event title fight I'd say he was looking for an easy out. If a champ missed weight by a pound or two, do you think the contender would be pulling out of the fight? Not a chance.

And that's because the champ has little to gain.

If Romero know he loses his shot by missing weight I am pretty sure he will not miss.

Can't blame him one bit. Hopefully Romero will make weight.

UFC better book a couple of other MWs on that card just in case though.

Good. That being said I would think Romero can make weight now since he will have a full camp.

Yeah that was the only time he missed weight and it was short notice. I'm not worried about it, he's a wrestler. Wrestler's are least likely to have problems making weight unless their name is Johnny Hendricks.

It also doesn't count as a title defense if Yoel misses weight too. You actually get a brand new belt every time you defend.

Zero reason for Whittaker to fight other than to prove he's a tough guy and risk it all for nothing.

Romero takes a fight on short notice, saves the card for us, delivers a spectacular KO, and people call him unprofessional and give him shit about missing weight as if he’s missed weight 10 times lmao so weird.
He was already in camp and was due to fight not long after. He also had a few weeks notice.

Not saying the conditions were ideal, but if you can't make weight 2/3s of the way through a fight camp with a few weeks notice of the rescheduled fight, you did something wrong. Or you're cutting too much weight.

Yoel has done some shady shit in the past and I think that's Rob's way of saying he doesn't trust him.

If a champ is going to use 1lb or 2lbs as an excuse to bail on a main event title fight I'd say he was looking for an easy out. If a champ missed weight by a pound or two, do you think the contender would be pulling out of the fight? Not a chance.
Yeah but there's no belt on the line. He fights for no reason, or at least nothing that will extend his legacy.

It would fuck the entire event over, but let's be honest - he's looking out for his own best interests. They can just reschedule for the next event and have a proper do-over. Otherwise he fights the most dangerous guy in the division again without his belt on the line.

if Romero misses weight, he can go fuck himself. he doesnt deserve to fight at MW, let alone for the title.

It's not a pattern of behavior so I don't think he has anything to worry about.

Romero takes a fight on short notice, saves the card for us, delivers a spectacular KO, and people call him unprofessional and give him shit about missing weight as if he’s missed weight 10 times lmao so weird.
His corner knocked over his ice bucket to buy him time right before he ko'd Weidman. If you watched that fight, that was exactly the perfect time which he needed just a little bit more time to rest and he got it. I would have looked the other way on that one if it wasn't for all the other things he's done to get an edge. He tested positive days after Jacare fight which was a split decision that a lot of people thought Jacare won. And the Tim Kenndy fight, Big John let Romero and his corner play him. One of the worst mistakes ever by Big John. I think we can all agree that Kennedy was deserving of that win by tko.

Other people say he's done other things like fence grabbing and in his amateur career but I really can't vouch for that. But I do know he missed weight by 3 pounds in his last fight which was a title fight so you can't blame everyone for thinking Romero tries to cheat all the time and/or has no respect for the rules.

And that's because the champ has little to gain.

Yeah but there's no belt on the line. He fights for no reason, or at least nothing that will extend his legacy.

It would fuck the entire event over, but let's be honest - he's looking out for his own best interests. They can just reschedule for the next event and have a proper do-over. Otherwise he fights the most dangerous guy in the division again without his belt on the line.

Whittaker still gets paid his full purse and doesn't drop the title if he loses. It would be calling the fight off 24 hours out and is one of the more high profile fights on the UFC schedule. DW would be savage, regardless whether an alternate MW was on the card or not.

I agree; thought it sounds like he is afraid! Like he is starting to make an excuse to get out of there. Romero has never missed weight with a full camp (I think) so why you wanna sound like a coward? And I like Bobby, although, Romero will KO him this time
He was clearly asked a specific question by a reporter and answered it. The quote just looks out of context on it's own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back