Robert Whittaker: I won't fight Yoel Romero if he miss weight at UFC 225

There was no "short notice Romero" btw. He was scheduled to fight in two weeks after Rockhold-Whittaker.
The last weeks leading up to a fight is when they tighten up their weight , prepping for the water cut .

I agree; thought it sounds like he is afraid! Like he is starting to make an excuse to get out of there. Romero has never missed weight with a full camp (I think) so why you wanna sound like a coward? And I like Bobby, although, Romero will KO him this time

Nothing wrong with Whittaker's attitude here. If Romero misses weight, its a non title fight. Why would Whittaker want a non title fight when he is the champ.

I think Romero has only missed weight once in his career, hopefully he doesn't do so again.

Does Yoel even have a history of missing weight?

Calm down Bobby Knux.

If Yoel missed weight intentionally vs. Rocksalt because he knew he was getting the TS regardless, I'd say that's pretty fucking sleazy.
He was asked a question and gave his answer. Maybe your the one that needs to calm down. I like champions saying this. Non champions feel forced to take fights against opponents who miss weight and if they dont they usually dont get paid.

If a champ is going to use 1lb or 2lbs as an excuse to bail on a main event title fight I'd say he was looking for an easy out. If a champ missed weight by a pound or two, do you think the contender would be pulling out of the fight? Not a chance.

I think Robert Whittaker is just having an angry day from his staph meds.

He absolutely would have fought Romero if he was in Rockhold's situation for an interim belt.

Yoel is a career Bellator LHW ducking Cormier; and him and his fanboys want to strike while the iron is hot and grab a 185 moneyfight.

Fair enough, but you also have to remember that making weight is not always a question of being a professional or not - the body can be very unpredictable sometimes. But if you're on the upper limit in terms of weight (which I think Romero is) then you should slim down a little before starting your cut.
Agreed, the body reacts funny to cuts even for the same fighters. However, Romero was quite fresh in the third. It is unlikely his organs factored in on the cut and him have so much gas in the third. Possible, but unlikely.

romero missed weight against rockhold, but i think moving his fight up two weeks from the previously scheduled fight he had played a major factor into that. whittaker shouldn't be talking about this, it was his injury that led to romero stepping in as his replacement that saved a title fight from being scrapped from the card.

what's the difference between 87 and 95kg, is he serious?

if he misses weight by a little bit, I don't see how you wouldn't fight him. on of the GOATs, anderson, fought travis lutter when he came in overweight, and of course whooped his ass
Its a matter of professionalism and i agree. There are weightclasses for a reason, wouldn’t you agree? When its a titlefight i have 0 doubt he will make weight, will be a great fight too.

“I don’t understand anyone who takes fights when their opponent doesn’t make weight. It’s like, if you rock up at 87 kilos, which is what Romero did – It was like 86 kilos or something like that – then why don’t I rock up at 95 (kgs)? What’s the difference? We’re both not making weight, we’re both not professional enough to do it, you know? And the weight cut is directly influential to the fight itself. I think not making weight is the most unprofessional thing you can do. It’s as bad as just not showing up for the fight itself. So, if you don’t make weight, I’m not fighting you. I’ll give the shot to someone else who can make the weight, who can do their freaking job.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
the problem with that is that the UFC won't pay you, and you are the one losing tons of money you already spent (with the camp, trainers, etc).

edit: I fully agree with him BTW> Just saying that the fighter stands to lose more than the UFC.

bullshit posturing, he'll take the fight when it comes

Thats fair. One guy going through cutting those GRUELING last 2-3 lbs is at a significant disadvantage against someone that doesnt.

Especially when that other guy is at least 4 inches taller than u, and looks drawn as fuck, like he really made the effort.

rockhold-reason-pissed-yoel-missing.jpg

I realize Yoel took the fight in short notice but he agreed to the terms, AND, it would not surprise me if he could have made the weight of just intentionally planned in missing it because he wanted the W and did not value the interim.

Isn't there a financial penalty for missing weight?

I find it odd everyone giving Romero a pass for missing weight because it was short notice.It was a fricken month in advance.

Gay Jesus will not take these comments lightly when he sends the Soldier of God to release his wrath upon Whittaker.

Thats fair. One guy going through cutting those GRUELING last 2-3 lbs is at a significant disadvantage against someone that doesnt.
you can hit the grueling stages at different weights tho man, yoel with less time could have been in the worst possible grueling stage to get to the 187 he hit last fight. PPl just assume he didn't try to cut. timing is everything especially for the drastic cutters the sport has these days

I find it odd everyone giving Romero a pass for missing weight because it was short notice.It was a fricken month in advance.
so what you are saying is you never cut weight in your life, lol good talk kid

Comments sound almost as if Bobby is a tad scared of getting the kiss of death. Jokes aside, I am fairly certain Romero will make the cut without any issues, he's done it without an issue his entire career before that one fight. People point to the fact that he was already training for a fight, but that doesn't matter as much when it comes to cutting. He had to accelerate his schedule by quite a bit to make the fight. That being said, I do agree that Whittaker would be absolutely right not to take the fight if Romero were to come in overweight. I would've understood Rockhold too if he did but once you accept the fight, the weight goes out as excuse as far as I'm concerned.

Back