Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin

Phr3121

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Went to see Robert Plant in concert last week. Man, the guy can still sing at 70. Excellent show. Closest thing to a Led Zeppelin concert. It brought back so many memories of my days as a Zeppelin fan...

Plant's total net worth is around £100 million, but he could have more than tripled that by saying yes to Richard Branson. The Virgin boss reportedly offered the 66-year-old Robert Plant more than £500 million to reform Led Zeppelin.

800px-Barack_Obama_speaks_to_Led_Zeppelin.jpg

Last edited:
Love Zeppelin,

If you go back through each musical era chronologically (reverse order), and listen to the biggest artists, you can hear how Zeppelin is the progenitor of the new subsequent genres.

500 years from now Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant will be remembered in like Beethoven, Mozart, Elvis, Metallica etc etc.

Love Zeppelin.

The band only ended because the drummer died in 1980. Page and Jones would like to form the band back up, but Plant does not. Christ, a £500 million offer to reform. Anyway, 12 glorious years from 1968 to 1980.

On the subject of Zep theres been a partial(full show is over 3 hours) soundboard release of the show in Osaka from 29/9/71 generally viewed as one of their best ever, definitely worth giving the 30 min version of Dazed and Confused(starts 15 mins in) a listen, Communication Breakdown at the end(starts 108 mins) is very funky as well.

I think shows you why I like live zep so much with the "tight but loose" style, not over praticed and perfected like a lot of metal but also stays pretty dramatic with the band playing off of each other than becoming too rambling as a lot of jam bands did.

Last edited:
The band only ended because the drummer died in 1980. Page and Jones would like to form the band back up, but Plant does not. Christ, a £500 million offer to reform. Anyway, 12 glorious years from 1968 to 1980.
Bonam (sp?) Died after taking over 80 shots throughout a day and performed flawlessly before his demise from alcohol poisoning.

Rockstar shit

I love this band. I love it all, this shit will never get old. Timeless amazing music.

I wish there was a single artist or band that made me feel even a fraction of love this band brings to my life.

I served Plant a muffin and coffee once. I think he could tell i knew who he was and respected the fact i didn't make a scene (this was in Austin's international airport)

Amazing band.

One of the greatest.
Not overrated.
Phenomenal rock, and there are so many songs they did that you can play the uninitiated, and they'll be astounded.
"THIS is Led Zeppelin?!"

One of the greatest.
Not overrated.
Phenomenal rock, and there are so many songs they did that you can play the uninitiated, and they'll be astounded.
"THIS is Led Zeppelin?!"

Really the whole "fathers of metal" lable(which Sabbath probably deserve more anyway) I think underestimates just how broad and ambitious they were as a band, this unreleased jem from the recent remasters for example...

It is amazing how well Bonham held up I'd agree, if anything he carried on getting better and better though the 70's even as he developed drug/drink problems.

Last edited:
Really the whole "fathers of metal" lable(which Sabbath probably deserve more anyway) I think underestimates just how broad and ambitious they were as a band, this unreleased jem from the recent remasters for example...

It is amazing how well Bonham held up I'd agree, if anything he carried on getting better and better though the 70's even as he developed drug/drink problems.

They were all top notch musicians.
I saw JPJ about twenty years ago, he came onstage and did a lot of solo and LZ material, encircled by about ten custom made acoustic instruments, and he could play the shit out of all of them.

They were all top notch musicians.
I saw JPJ about twenty years ago, he came onstage and did a lot of solo and LZ material, encircled by about ten custom made acoustic instruments, and he could play the shit out of all of them.

He was generally the one called on to play anything but the standard guitar/bass/drums in Zep as well like piano, organ, mandolin, etc.

He was a dam good piano soloist as well...

How do we feel about Jimmy Page fucking underage groupies?

Yes, it was a different time, and yes he was far from the only one, but still..........kidnapping a 14 year old and effectively using her as a sex slave is never a good look.

Yes, it was a different time, and yes he was far from the only one, but still..........kidnapping a 14 year old and effectively using her as a sex slave is never a good look.

"… they started an affair that night, which was kept secret since she was only 14 and he was still dating Pamela, by all accounts, Jimmy and Lori were very much in love and for the next year and a half she traveled often with the band."

How do we feel about Jimmy Page fucking underage groupies?

To be fair kidnap/rape isn't something that's ever been claimed by Lori Maddox as far as I know but rather in more sensationalist Zep bios(that tend to shift a lot of the actions of their group crew onto the band) and rumours so I don't think you can view it like Polanski, its more underage sex which I'd imagine was pretty common back then in rock groupie circles just without the extended relationship part.

Last edited:
To be fair kidnap/rape isn't something that's ever been claimed by Lori Maddox as far as I know but rather in more sensationalist Zep bios(that tend to shift a lot of the actions of their group crew onto the band) and rumours so I don't think you can view it like Polanski, its more underage sex which I'd imagine was pretty common back then in rock groupie circles just without the extended relationship part.

A man in his late 20s has sex with a 14 year old.....that is rape.

Sure the girl was obviously a goer......David Bowie got to her even earlier, but absolute best case scenario for JP is it is extremely yucky.

Raises the point should the art be derided due to the actions of the artist? It seems if you a top tier you can get away with it (to a certain level at least)....JP, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Chuck Berry, Elvis, James Brown etc etc. If the guitarist from Disturbed, for example, acted in such a way I'm not sure the public would be as forgiving.

Good to hear he is still rocking.....haven’t thought much about him lately, but now, you have ignited my interest, TY...we went to Hall and Oats , then saw the Eagles....Robert Plant is next on the list..

A man in his late 20s has sex with a 14 year old.....that is rape.

Sure the girl was obviously a goer......David Bowie got to her even earlier, but absolute best case scenario for JP is it is extremely yucky.

Raises the point should the art be derided due to the actions of the artist? It seems if you a top tier you can get away with it (to a certain level at least)....JP, Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Chuck Berry, Elvis, James Brown etc etc. If the guitarist from Disturbed, for example, acted in such a way I'm not sure the public would be as forgiving.

I would tend to view potential statutory rape as being a lesser offence that actual forcible rape ala Polanski though. I mean obviously no I'm not in favour of either but the former as you mention puts him on similar ground to a very large number of rock figures from that era.

Good to hear he is still rocking.....haven’t thought much about him lately, but now, you have ignited my interest, TY...we went to Hall and Oats , then saw the Eagles....Robert Plant is next on the list..

.....don't expect to hear many classic LZ songs.

Saw him a while back, and think he only played "Whole Lotta Love".

I would tend to view potential statutory rape as being a lesser offence that actual forcible rape ala Polanski though. I mean obviously no I'm not in favour of either but the former as you mention puts him on similar ground to a very large number of rock figures from that era.

Indeed.

You and I are obviously fans of LZ so we can put it down to "ah, it was a different time"......not too sure that's morally right, though. If they acted like that today, they'd likely be in jail and their careers would be over.

Saying that MJ seemingly got away with it......though I think it's certain if he hadn't died, more sordid details would have come out.

Indeed.

You and I are obviously fans of LZ so we can put it down to "ah, it was a different time"......not too sure that's morally right, though. If they acted like that today, they'd likely be in jail and their careers would be over.

Saying that MJ seemingly got away with it......though I think it's certain if he hadn't died, more sordid details would have come out.

I mean to be fair I think that is true, views on age of consent have definitely shifted a lot in the past 40-50 years even when laws themselves haven't. I think you've also seen the music industry become much more mainstream than it was and tied to mainstream values more as a result. A band like Zep back in the 70's was besides radio airplay almost a total media non entity, very few interviews or television appearances, very little standard promotion in favour of touring a lot instead.

As far as Jackson goes whilst he certainly does look dodgy the main allegations did also have the feeling of someone out for a payout or favours so I'm not entirely sure what I believe there. The talked about situation did sound worse than with Page though and Jackson did seem like he could be an actual pedo potentially going after very young boys

I mean to be fair I think that is true, views on age of consent have definitely shifted a lot in the past 40-50 years even when laws themselves haven't.

Is that true?

Are you saying in the 70s it was socially acceptable for 30 year old men to have sex with 13-14 year old girls? I find that difficult to believe.

Is that true?

Are you saying in the 70s it was socially acceptable for 30 year old men to have sex with 13-14 year old girls? I find that difficult to believe.

I would say its wasn't "acceptable" but it wasn't as unacceptable as it would be today and by all accounts it was rather common for girls under 16 to be groupies back then.

I mean Jerry Lee Lewis married his 12 year old cousin just over a decade before that.

Back