Robert Harward likely to be next NSA, replacing ousted Flynn

ShoelessRye

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
If, as expected, Harward accepts the job today, he is likely to bring in his own team, from deputy on down, with a focus on national security types with some experience under their belts.

I think he would look especially to people he knows from his time working for the George W. Bush NSC from 2003 to 2005. No more Fox News talking heads. Instead, I think he would try to take a Scowcroftian approach to trying to run the interagency policy formulation process — deliberate, rigorous, careful. Just how that will fit with the style of the Twitterer-in-Chief, I don’t know.

Most importantly, he is not an ideologue, as Flynn seemed to have become in the last few years. Harward thinks of himself as a national security professional — and indeed once served on the NSC staff, during the Bush Administration. Before that, early in the Afghan war, he headed the Special Operations task force in Kandahar.

Harward also would work well with Defense Secretary James Mattis. When Mattis was chief of Central Command, Harward was his deputy. Mattis trusted him enough to put him in charge of planning for war with Iran. Mattis has urged Harward to take the NSA job.

If Harward becomes NSA, Mattis would emerge from the Flynn mess in a uniquely powerful position: He would have two of his former deputies at the table in some meetings. The other one is John Kelly, now secretary for Homeland Security, who was his number two when Mattis commanded a Marine division early in the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

At this point, Mattis has far greater influence over former military officers than the president does. His presence at the Pentagon is the sole reason some are considering climbing aboard Trump’s sinking ship.
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/02/15...ng-of-trumps-national-security-council-staff/

See that wasn't so hard. A solid, sane, respected pick with experience and built in relationships. Trump's hand was certainly forced, but his life will be much easier because of it. He basically cedes Nat Security to Mattis Network which will calm a helluva lot of the whirling drama around it. This is also a win for Reince/Ryan/Pence - a huge one both in the power struggle in the WH and politically in getting their domestic agenda out of the starting block.

Last edited:
If trump didn't win the nomination I was going to write Mattis in

He's a badass motherfucker.

COMMANDERS-1-popup.jpg

Let's just make Mattis the President.

It would probably make it a lot easier for the people working in the White House. As of now they probably spend the majority of their time mitigating the damage from the President's constant fuck-ups and lies.

Welp, who's ready to die fighting Iran?

Does the notice Flynn put Iran on still apply now that we tossed him out for being a lying traitor?

Hmmm

Harward was born into a Navy family in Newport, Rhode Island. During his teenaged years, Harward's father was advising the pre-revolutionary Iranian military and the family lived in a Tehran neighborhood. Harward played sports against Iranian basketball and football teams, was popular with his classmates and became familiar with the people and culture of Iran.[3] Harward graduated from Tehran American School in 1974. He speaks Farsi.[4]

Gotta be careful installing factions...but this looks a lot better than Flynn.

Gotta be careful installing factions...but this looks a lot better than Flynn.
No shit. I mean you have a SecDef who needed a special waiver because he was only out for two years, and now has his Marine Division second in command, and his CENTCOM Deputy in very key National Security positions. Flynn was just that bad.

His eyes are impressively close to each other.

Does the notice Flynn put Iran on still apply now that we tossed him out for being a lying traitor?
That was such a cringeworthy ego stroking display. I hope the new guy doesn't have out of control ego.

I'm actually pretty okay with this. It seems dangerous having so much power concentrated in the military voice of the NSC, but it's almost reassuring that Trump will have to overcome three voices of dissent to do anything too stupid. Guys like Hayward and Mattis have got to think this guy is the Hurricane Katrina of blowhards.

Back