Robert García on why Mexican greats hate on Canelo

You must not have been here long. Check out @stuff jones catalog of sprinkling feces across your computer screen.

His posts give me pink eye

I haven't seen you make a reasoned disagreement with anything I've said. Instead you sit there flinging feces in disapproval.

Last edited:
You

You understand capacity ?
Also please show me the math on that percentage

I do understand capacity.

I guesstimated the crowd size at 100,000. I think that's generous. Population of Mexico is 119 million.

100,000/119,000,000 = .0008 = < .1%

The point is a big crowd doesn't mean he's a national hero. A tiny percentage of the country could like him and he's still draw a huge crowd.

Women love him because he's handsome, in-shape and rich and famous.

People also like novelty, both men and women. If you're in a country full of light skinned redheads, a dark skinned brunette would get all the girls/guys. A buddy of mine served in the Army in Germany, black dude, he used to tell me the black dudes could get any German chick they wanted while the white guys struggled.

People also like novelty, both men and women. If you're in a country full of light skinned redheads, a dark skinned brunette would get all the girls/guys. A buddy of mine served in the Army in Germany, black dude, he used to tell me the black dudes could get any German chick they wanted while the white guys struggled.
Lol, well he was humble bragging then wasn't he. If you ask most races they actually would prefer to date someone from their or a similar race, it's been studied. If he's attractive walking round with guys like the hunchback from 300 then of course he'll find it easier.

Lol, well he was humble bragging then wasn't he. If you ask most races they actually would prefer to date someone from their or a similar race, it's been studied. If he's attractive walking round with guys like the hunchback from 300 then of course he'll find it easier.

Dating a chick and "getting" a chick aren't necessarily the same thing. Plenty of chicks who would not date or marry outside their race but would hook up like crazy with other races. There is an edge to something new and different.

Dating a chick and "getting" a chick aren't necessarily the same thing. Plenty of chicks who would not date or marry outside their race but would hook up like crazy with other races. There is an edge to something new and different.
Getting was what I meant to say I was doing about ten things at once, picking up girls in Germany isn't difficult unless you're too shy to talk to people, I'm not saying they're easy but as long as you can do the same as you would at home it's not any different. Race isn't the point.

Getting was what I meant to say I was doing about ten things at once, picking up girls in Germany isn't difficult unless you're too shy to talk to people, I'm not saying they're easy but as long as you can do the same as you would at home it's not any different. Race isn't the point.

Anywhere you go, Germany or the US, the more you stand out the more likely you are to get girls, assuming everything else is equal. If you're a total idiot of course being new and different isn't going to help. The point is that novelty helps when you're trying to bag chicks. Not a lot of black dudes in Germany, if a black guy and a white guy have equal game and are in the same ball park in the looks territory, the black guy's going home with the chick. As a general rule I think that's probably true.

Anywhere you go, Germany or the US, the more you stand out the more likely you are to get girls, assuming everything else is equal. If you're a total idiot of course being new and different isn't going to help. The point is that novelty helps when you're trying to bag chicks. Not a lot of black dudes in Germany, if a black guy and a white guy have equal game and are in the same ball park in the looks territory, the black guy's going home with the chick. As a general rule I think that's probably true.
I think you're completely wrong but don't listen to me I've only lived in both the countries you mention.

Let's be real... a reason why many mexicans don't like Canelo, is probably because of his skin color

He resembles a White irishman more so than a brown mexican, he doesn't have the physical image of a "Mexican"

maybe its not the sole reason, but it plays a big role

just brutal honesty
Being completely honest... that's not a bit of the reason on why some people on Mexico dislike Canelo.
There's a lot of gingers down in México and they don't receive hate for that. He being a white redhead and representing Mexico is actually cool.

The real reason is because there's tones of dumb people that doesn't even understand the sport in first place.

Canelo's career took off right when boxing got on open free TV in Mexico (2005 I believe). Legends like Chavez Sr. Barrera, Morales, Márquez and others had to be established themselves without TV stations support. They only landed on PPV cards and not many people got the privilege to watch them.

Canelo has been pushed by Televisa since the very beginning with a lot of promotion and sponsorships that not many boxers had and that make them jealous at the same time.
With that being said, Canelo has worked his ass off to be where he is undoubtedly.

Last edited:
I assume the guy lacks a win in an all-out war to become a Mexican legend. It's not like his resume isn't impressive for a 26 years old fighter, of course. But so far he outclassed his opponents (Kirkland, Angulo, Khan, Chavezito) or won tactical fights (Trout, Lara, Cotto). The GGG fight is a pretty good opportunity to spice up his record, even if it's a dangerous fight (and if I believe it's very likely to be more tactical than expected).

Not too many Mexican greats have the resume of Canelo at the same age

Sure they do.

Chavez first beat Roger Mayweather a few days shy of 23, beat Lockridge and Laporte the year after, and Edwin Rosario the year after that. Jose Luis Ramirez the year after that at 26.

By the time De La Hoya was 26 he'd fought Genaro Hernandez, Camacho, Chavez, Whitaker, and Trinidad.

Salvador Sanchez died at 23 having faced Danny Lopez, Azumah Nelson, and Wilfredo Gomez.

At 26 Barrera fought Morales and beat Hamed a year later.

Morales beat Zaragoza at 21, Junior Jones at 22, and Barrera and Juarez at 24.

No need to go on.

Sure they do.

Chavez first beat Roger Mayweather a few days shy of 23, beat Lockridge and Laporte the year after, and Edwin Rosario the year after that. Jose Luis Ramirez the year after that at 26.

By the time De La Hoya was 26 he'd fought Genaro Hernandez, Camacho, Chavez, Whitaker, and Trinidad.

Salvador Sanchez died at 23 having faced Danny Lopez, Azumah Nelson, and Wilfredo Gomez.

At 26 Barrera fought Morales and beat Hamed a year later.

Morales beat Zaragoza at 21, Junior Jones at 22, and Barrera and Juarez at 24.

No need to go on.
I appreciate your effort but let's look deeper

For starters we can remove De La Hoya , he is not Mexican

And my disclaimer is that Morales , Barrera and Chavez are more legendary than Canelo at this time

But
Canelo become world champion at a younger age then the other guys you listed

At 23 Canelo had victories over
Lara ( world champion )
Trout ( former world champion)
Shane Mosley ( future hall of famer and former world champion )
Kermit Citron ( former world champion )

Chávez, , as great and legendary as he is, at that age didn't t have the same kind of resume

And neither Barrera or Morales at that age and stage of the game had the some kind of resume .

If I am wrong please feel free to correct me I am not here to just be right and win a debate .

Last edited:
I assume the guy lacks a win in an all-out war to become a Mexican legend. It's not like his resume isn't impressive for a 26 years old fighter, of course. But so far he outclassed his opponents (Kirkland, Angulo, Khan, Chavezito) or won tactical fights (Trout, Lara, Cotto). The GGG fight is a pretty good opportunity to spice up his record, even if it's a dangerous fight (and if I believe it's very likely to be more tactical than expected).
Yup the GGG fight if he wins will be his greatest accomplishment and should catapult him to a higher level

A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that this red-headed kid makes more money fighting one no hope opponent than some of the greats made in their entire careers. I could see that being a hard pill to swallow but jealousy is ugly no matter the reason.

this...he is being touted as their equal...paid like thier superior; even though in the eyes of many he hasnt faced as tough of a challenge as the greats have

That was for being too American, which Canelo hardly is. Canelo represents Mexico as much as he possibly can. I remember him screaming out 'Viva Mexico' at the top of his lungs after being interviewed by Larry Merchant and Merchant didn't look impressed.

As far as I can see, Canelo is loved by the overwhelming majority of Mexicans. He's not even white, really.
yes, of course he is white and is recognized as such by both mexicans and americans. Does he look indigenous to you? What does that make every other american white person who claims their great grandparent was a full blooded indian? you wouldnt say that if he was american or from europe. This is just more racializing of latinos, and sounds to me like white guilt.

Last edited:
Canelo become world champion at a younger age then the other guys you listed

Don't think that's correct.

Chavez was WBC champion at 22.
Salvador Sanchez was champion at 21.
Barrera was champion at 21.
Morales was 21.

At 23 Canelo had victories over
Lara ( world champion )
Trout ( former world champion)
Shane Mosley ( future hall of famer and former world champion )
Kermit Citron ( former world champion )

Chávez, 9as great and legendary as he is, at that age didn't t have the same kind of resume

Ruben Castillo and Roger Mayweather aren't worse than Lara, Trout, Cintron, and shot to shit Mosley. Castillo had a close fight with ATG Arguello and Mayweather was a better champion than the other names you mentioned.

And neither Barrera or Morales at that age and stage of the game had the some kind of resume .

Barrera didn't at that point but Morales did with wins over Zaragoza and Junior Jones.

If I am wrong please feel free to correct me I am not here to just be right and win a debate .

I respect that, I'm not trying to hate on Canelo, I just think his youth is overemphasized. People act like he's achieved more than fighters past at an earlier age and it's just not true. He's got a solid resume thus far, but it's not historically exceptional at his age. And at 26 he's not going to improve a ton either.

Back