Robert García on why Mexican greats hate on Canelo

It's obvious. He fights not to lose, rather than to put on a good fight, Mexican style. He had a guy who was beaten before he entered the ring last fight and never went for the kill.

He also ducked GGG for a while and threw his belts away to avoid having to fight GGG. Mexicans admire bravery, not that cowardly kind of behavior.

He played weight games for years, even having Canelo weight. Again, that's not Mexican.

He gives off the manufactured pretty boy image first vibe that turned Mexican fans off ODH.

It's obvious. He fights not to lose, rather than to put on a good fight, Mexican style. He had a guy who was beaten before he entered the ring last fight and never went for the kill.

He also ducked GGG for a while and threw his belts away to avoid having to fight GGG. Mexicans admire bravery, not that cowardly kind of behavior.

He played weight games for years, even having Canelo weight. Again, that's not Mexican.

He gives off the manufactured pretty boy image first vibe that turned Mexican fans off ODH.
If that was true why did Canelo break attendance records and the crowd was screaming his name ?

22017canelo2001.jpg

Let me guess this crowd was there to hate him lol

If that was true why did Canelo break attendance records and the crowd was screaming his name ?

22017canelo2001.jpg

For sure. They were chanting Ca Ne Lo! Sucks lots of PEEN! It's just that they were so off rhythm all you could make out is canelo

22017canelo2001.jpg

You realize that crowd is less than .1% the size of the population of Mexico?

You
You realize that crowd is less than .1% the size of the population of Mexico?
You understand capacity ?
Also please show me the math on that percentage

Let's be real... a reason why many mexicans don't like Canelo, is probably because of his skin color

He resembles a White irishman more so than a brown mexican, he doesn't have the physical image of a "Mexican"

maybe its not the sole reason, but it plays a big role

just brutal honesty

This is single-handledly the most retarded thing i have heard in this forum.

A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that this red-headed kid makes more money fighting one no hope opponent than some of the greats made in their entire careers. I could see that being a hard pill to swallow but jealousy is ugly no matter the reason.

This is whats wrong with boxing and thats why it stopped being such a mainstream sport.

The guy on the video is 100% right, Canelo fights for himself and for a paycheck so he is seen as cowardly and fake.

This is single-handledly the most retarded thing i have heard in this forum.
I think it would be more likely that a boxer is hated for being too dark, right? Not that either situation has happened, I mean Mexicans adopted a couple of black Cubans as national icons

I recall Barrera calling Morales an Indio which is ironic because the only white thing about Barrera is his skin. His facial features are pure Mexican IMO

They don't like him because he's making more millions per fight than any other Mexican fighter.
Doubt the money is the real issue here. Marquez made way more in his last 10 fights than Canelo did and he is beloved. Canelo's choice of promoter isnt helping either.

I think it would be more likely that a boxer is hated for being too dark, right? Not that either situation has happened, I mean Mexicans adopted a couple of black Cubans as national icons

I recall Barrera calling Morales an Indio which is ironic because the only white thing about Barrera is his skin. His facial features are pure Mexican IMO

Neither, they are boxers they will be loved or hated based on their performance.

Indio is used like Americans use hick or redneck.

Neither, they are boxers they will be loved or hated based on their performance.

Indio is used like Americans use hick or redneck.
Yeah I never thought either was likely but Indio seemed like a pure racial slur to me

Doubt the money is the real issue here. Marquez made way more in his last 10 fights than Canelo did and he is beloved. Canelo's choice of promoter isnt helping either.

This.

Not

Let's take a look at the numbers instead of the goosip of guesses

Ligamx is huge in Mexico it's soccer which if you did not know is huge in Mexico

The finals garnered 20 points and involved the heavily popular America team

Canelo garnered in Mexico 37.9 points

Those are the ratings

I get it he won't be liked by everyone , and his skills are called in question ( understandable) and his choice of opponents last 3 are questionable (again understandably so)

But to question how hugely popular Canelo is in Mexico is just crazy and ignorant

Not

Ligamx is huge in Mexico it's soccer which if you did not know is huge in Mexico

Those are the ratings

I get it he won't be liked by everyone , and his skills are called in question ( understandable) and his choice of opponents last 3 are questionable (again understandably so)

But to question how hugely popular Canelo is in Mexico is just crazy and ignorant

Most people just want to see him getting beat.

Not

Those are the ratings

I agree with what you are saying in terms of his popularity. Dude has done superstar numbers numbers in a few fights, some of that being the opponent he was facing but none the less I would say, in America he's gotta be of the top 3 or 4 known active fighters behind pacq and perhaps a few others.**

But if we are to talk about strictly why legends hate him I think him being with oscar holds a lot of weight.

**I have done absolutely no research on this.

Last edited:
Back