Robert García on why Mexican greats hate on Canelo

Marc A

Being broke is being dishonest
@Silver
Reaction score

Brings up good points , I disagree with some things he says . Not too many Mexican greats have the resume of Canelo at the same age

canelo.jpg

Let's be real... a reason why many mexicans don't like Canelo, is probably because of his skin color

He resembles a White irishman more so than a brown mexican, he doesn't have the physical image of a "Mexican"

maybe its not the sole reason, but it plays a big role

just brutal honesty

Let's be real... a reason why many mexicans don't like Canelo, is probably because of his skin color

He resembles a White irishman more so than a brown mexican, he doesn't have the physical image of a "Mexican"

just brutal honesty
Well of course

He looks more Irish then mcgregor

Mexican greats are afraid of being overshadowed. Thats why they always shit on mexican fighters but not really any other nationality of fighter.

just brutal honesty
Probably true tbh. They hated on oscar for being to americanized so i could see this

just brutal honesty

Brutal honesty is irrelevant because it's merely your opinion. Do you have any evidence whatsoever that many Mexicans don't like him because of his skin colour?

Probably true tbh. They hated on oscar for being to americanized so i could see this

That was for being too American, which Canelo hardly is. Canelo represents Mexico as much as he possibly can. I remember him screaming out 'Viva Mexico' at the top of his lungs after being interviewed by Larry Merchant and Merchant didn't look impressed.

As far as I can see, Canelo is loved by the overwhelming majority of Mexicans. He's not even white, really.

I actually agree with him quite a bit, the color stuff Is just stupid

That was for being too American, which Canelo hardly is. Canelo represents Mexico as much as he possibly can. I remember him screaming out 'Viva Mexico' at the top of his lungs after being interviewed by Larry Merchant and Merchant didn't look impressed.

As far as I can see, Canelo is loved by the overwhelming majority of Mexicans. He's not even white, really.
maybe, maybe not....it's certainty a possibility

just brutal honesty

Interesting

Mexico, for decades have suffered from La Malinche syndrome, it means they preffer light skin foreigners over their own

Typicalyy in the novelas its always the light skin European or Argentinian that get the leading roles

Last edited:

just brutal honesty
Not even, I am sure there are a few whom do .

The men who don't like Canelo are the jealous ones .

Also those that are insecure and see him as cocky

Really depends on region , lots of whites , not something new

but some are Associate whites as privileged rich ( old guard thinking )

just brutal honesty

there will be plenty of mexicans that like canelo in september when they bet their hard earned cash on him just as they did when he fought mayweather

both ruelas and chavez were the mexican favoirtes when dlh fought them but mexicans still backed oscar when he fought hopkins, mosely and trinidad

He seems to lack charisma, sometimes looking very arrogant, he also was pushed by one of the big TV networks since early on so he is always seen as a prefabricated figure.

Casual boxing fans expect Canelo to be a pressure fighter wich he isnt.

I think he is way bigger than Barrera, Morales, JMM ever were as far as popularity, he is probably only behind true idols like Chavez, Puas Olivares, Mantequilla Napoles, Raton Macias.

He seems to lack charisma, sometimes looking very arrogant, he also was pushed by one of the big TV networks since early on so he is always seen as a prefabricated figure.

Casual boxing fans expect Canelo to be a pressure fighter wich he isnt.

I think he is way bigger than Barrera, Morales, JMM ever were as far as popularity, he is probably only behind true idols like Chavez, Puas Olivares, Mantequilla Napoles, Raton Macias.
I disagree on the charisma thing , most Mexican women adore him , he gets lots of love .

He is self made

In the eeuu market yes I agree his charisma is lacking

A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that this red-headed kid makes more money fighting one no hope opponent than some of the greats made in their entire careers. I could see that being a hard pill to swallow but jealousy is ugly no matter the reason.

I disagree on the charisma thing , most Mexican women adore him , he gets lots of love .

He is self made

But that type of charisma doesnt translate to the male fans wich in the end is the most important demographic for sports.

And him being self made gets obscured by the promotion TV networks gave him from very early on.

He is self made

Women love him because he's handsome, in-shape and rich and famous.

They don't like him because he's making more millions per fight than any other Mexican fighter.

Back