Robert Drysdale's Interview About His Documentary on The True History of BJJ

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by kpoz12, Mar 2, 2018.

1. rmongler

rmongler Brown Belt

Yeah, but Galvao didn't sub him.

Victory (moralmente) for Ryron.

2. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

I think it was more like 11 or 12 minutes. And it wasn't 50 pounds. Still significant but not that much

Evan_The_Kid_1 likes this.
  3. meauneau

meauneau Brown Belt

The same word can have more than 1 meaning depending on the context. In the context of BJJ "professor" means "teacher" ("teacher" = "professor" in Portuguese). In the context of Universities "professor" means something else.

4. Ryo

Ryo Black Belt

He didnt last an hour... Lol

Kimura subd him at a little over 13 minutes. Actually he ckoked him out even before that but apparently the ref didnt see and Kimura let go, Helio came back to and continued. Helio even stated this in an interview. There are reports that Kimura stalled for the majority of the few minutes the fight lasted.... What victory did Helio gain from this beatdown?

5. Ryo

Ryo Black Belt

It was 25-30 pounds at the most. Kimura weighed about 180 or so his competitive career.

mataleaos likes this.
  6. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

I completely understand that. I know it is a direct translation. The thing is, we aren’t in Brazil, we are in the U.S. I can understand an old school Brazilian teacher expect that but an American?

7. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

Ryan's wife is Brazilian and he speaks Portuguese. I think it's just second nature to him. Are you a bit OCD by chance?

Dogstarman and kenetics like this.
  8. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

I stand corrected then if it was that short lol. At least he got in their knowing the odds were stacked against him lol.

9. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Nah. I’m not. It doesn’t bother me that much. Just want to discuss it here. I’m not mad about it.

mattemate likes this.
  10. nefti

nefti Red Belt

Actually he didn't choke Helio, he put Helio in a nasty kesa that suffocated him.

11. nefti

nefti Red Belt

Japanese schools still say sensai, Koreans sabunim, Chinese martial arts sifu, Thai arts kru.

Nothing wrong with professor snice in Brazil it is the term generally used.

12. Ryo

Ryo Black Belt

No, it was the Yoko Sankaku jime that put him out. Thats a choke.

13. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

This interview fits with suspicions I've always had about the development of BJJ. In particular, the idea that the modern world-destroying BJJ we know and love was developed in the gym by the Rolls and Rickson generation rather than carnival circuit Helio. As Drysdale suggests, the major through line with BJJ isn't a unity of technique but an adherence to a specific strategy of winning fights by slow domination. You see with those pre-UFC Gracie home videos, like the dojo storming of the judo school, that their greatest point of hubris is their realistic conception of what it means to win a fight.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    lts5025, mataleaos, AZ103 and 2 others like this.
  14. nefti

nefti Red Belt

Most of modern bjj was rolls and Carlson.

lts5025 likes this.
  15. nefti

nefti Red Belt

Let me try to find the interview where Helio talks about this. Funny thing is that rorion is completely shocked lol. Give me a few days.

I specifically remember him saying that his ribs were crushed and he was about to pass out then kimura transitioned to another position/submission attempt and that is how he was able to survive longer.

Not saying that kimura never put him in a triangle, I'm saying what almost put Helio out before the arm lock was some kind of pin. I remember this because that interview is what made me take pressure seriously.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  16. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Yeah but who created the point system that entice it?

17. nefti

nefti Red Belt

Carlinhos? *Shrug*

18. Crotalis

Crotalis Orange Belt

This is what keeps me from even wanting to listen. The stuff he's written in that "GLobal Training Report" on this subject - you have to have a seriously uncritical and/or biased eye to buy into it. HIs logic is always filled with so many holes and you have to make so many leaps and major assumptions to get to the points he's trying to make that you really start to wonder about him. I certainly don't think we know the whole truth re: BJJ and the Gracies, but based on other material he's produced, I'm equally certain Drysdale doesn't either.

19. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

You should listen to the interview. Drysdale only says "in my opinion" to acknowledge when he's speculating on something he doesn't have conclusive research about (such as Oswaldo Fadda being somewhat self-taught). Most of the time he mentions primary sources and generally comes off as a highly scrupulous individual.

20. Crotalis

Crotalis Orange Belt

I'll probably listen at some point. He will often mention when he's stating his opinion in his writing as well. My issue with him is that in order to form that "opinion" you have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to get there. There's a lot of confirmation bias. He has also, on several occasions presented opinion as fact. I obviously don't know him personally, so I try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but even then, I'm left frequently coming to the conclusion that he either has a major ax to grind OR his thought process is sloppy and he has trouble communicating his thoughts. Assuming that the entire lineage of GJJ is a "lie" based on what may or may not have been a deliberate or accidental misprint in a news paper from 50 years ago is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about ...