Robert Drysdale Interview on BJJ training

ChrisMMAFightgr

Some Kind Of Fighter
@Yellow
Reaction score
A couple of days back, Robert Drysdale was here for a seminar and we had the opportunity to have a moment and talk to him and he gave us some pretty useful knowledge.

He talked about how he changed his grappling training when he decided to go into MMA, especially the Gi/No Gi percentage. How important it was to always train with gloves and work on wall wrestling.

He also comented in Drilling with no resistance, calling it pointless and his idea of intellegent drilling and how it works.

He even talked about training in crossfit, which he calls circuit training rebranded.

Check the interview bellow and if you want check out the rest of our channel, we are still pretty new but we are looking on doing more diverse stuff around Fighting and Fitness.

Drilling with no resistance is good only if you're new to the move, or you literally just need to build speed. For any other purpose, adding some resistance is good.

Did he talk about how to take steroids?
Drysdale is the fucking man, steroids or not. He owned up to it and was really candid about it.

And besides that, he's an underappreciated competitor and innovator in our sport.

Also one of the best teachers and coolest people you'll ever meet.

Drysdale is the fucking man, steroids or not. He owned up to it and was really candid about it.

And besides that, he's an underappreciated competitor and innovator in our sport.

That's cool to hear. He choked a prime Marcelo, and used to choke out Mir regularly in practice (Mir's words). But you really don't hear his name much, so I agree that he's underappreciated. And it's not like this is the world's cleanest sport *cough galvao cough palhares cough pablo cough*

One of the funniest things I heard regarding Drysdale was when he started working with an MMA camp, I wanna say quest? Anyway, someone, I think couture, said he was a "thesaurus of jiu-jitsu," and I thought how amazing it must be to know several names for each move.

what did he say about his steroid use?

Hey man I agrees he's a cool guy. I've meet him never rolled with him but I know how good he is.
Hopefully he stays clean and keeps fighting mma. Would nice to see him fight in the UFC.

That's cool to hear. He choked a prime Marcelo, and used to choke out Mir regularly in practice (Mir's words). But you really don't hear his name much, so I agree that he's underappreciated. And it's not like this is the world's cleanest sport *cough galvao cough palhares cough pablo cough*

One of the funniest things I heard regarding Drysdale was when he started working with an MMA camp, I wanna say quest? Anyway, someone, I think couture, said he was a "thesaurus of jiu-jitsu," and I thought how amazing it must be to know several names for each move.
weighing 50lbs more than marcelo. training a specific technique just to catch marcelo for months while on roids ya big win....

what did he say about his steroid use?
He said that he was using TRT as directed from a physician, and that he knowingly continued his use by mentally justifying it as something the doctor deemed appropriate. He said that he knew it was wrong, but allowed that small voice in the back of head to keep him using it, and that he regrets it and wished he had made a different decision.

He talks about it in depth here:

http://grapplingcentral.com/episode-116-robert-drysdale/

He said that he was using TRT as directed from a physician, and that he knowingly continued his use by mentally justifying it as something the doctor deemed appropriate. He said that he knew it was wrong, but allowed that small voice in the back of head to keep him using it, and that he regrets it and wished he had made a different decision.

He talks about it in depth here:

http://grapplingcentral.com/episode-116-robert-drysdale/

I didnt listen to the interview, could you provide the minute he goes into? too long.

anyways, TRT is not something you cant just stop using, if it is justified the use, TRT is for life, you dont get into TRT if you gonads are producing normal levels of test.

weighing 50lbs more than marcelo. training a specific technique just to catch marcelo for months while on roids ya big win....
Marcelo is my favorite grappler of all time but the people that hate on the ADCC win by Drysdale are bums.

He didn't train the darce specifically to catch Marcelo. He didn't even know he would have a match with Marcelo. He was one of the early darce pioneers and used it to win a big match. Was Marcelo wrong for practicing x guard when nobody knew it so that he could win ADCC in 2003?

Also there's no evidence that Drysdale was on roids and Marcelo wasn't There's no evidence that Marcelo was on roids and Drysdale wasn't. There was no testing done, because ADCC doesn't test for steroids. They give less than a fuck about it.

As for the size advantage it was an Absolute division. Those are the breaks. Marcelo is the best of all time. Plenty of people much larger than Drysdale have gotten choked out by Marcelo.

Drysdale roids or not, is a fantastic grappler.

Marcelo is my favorite grappler of all time but the people that hate on the ADCC win by Drysdale are bums.

He didn't train the darce specifically to catch Marcelo. He didn't even know he would have a match with Marcelo. He was one of the early darce pioneers and used it to win a big match. Was Marcelo wrong for practicing x guard when nobody knew it so that he could win ADCC in 2003?

Also there's no evidence that Drysdale was on roids and Marcelo wasn't There's no evidence that Marcelo was on roids and Drysdale wasn't. There was no testing done, because ADCC doesn't test for steroids. They give less than a fuck about it.

As for the size advantage it was an Absolute division. Those are the breaks. Marcelo is the best of all time. Plenty of people much larger than Drysdale have gotten choked out by Marcelo.
HE SAID HE TRAINED THE DARCE SPECIFICALLY FOR MARCELLO HE SAID IT IN A FREAKING INTERVIEW!!!!!

HE SAID HE TRAINED THE DARCE SPECIFICALLY FOR MARCELLO HE SAID IT IN A FREAKING INTERVIEW!!!!!

Why are you yelling?

He may have but if you check his old dvd set he was still doing it anyways. He's done it since the mid 00's and he still does. It's a cornerstone of his game.

And if he did train it for Marcelo, who cares? People game plan all the time.

Does the latest interview talk about the second test failure ? I remember the first time he came out and addressed it well with the whole TRT reasoning and vouched it would never happen again so many gave him the benefit of the doubt. But when he failed the second time he went complete radio silence and that made the "accident" reasoning he used the first time hard to swallow in retrospect.

Dude I never said I liked the dude but credit where it's due. If a juiced, declawed and defanged grizzly managed to choke the jj baby Jesus I'd still give props. that's how fucking good Marcelo is

Does the latest interview talk about the second test failure ? I remember the first time he came out and addressed it well with the whole TRT reasoning and vouched it would never happen again so many gave him the benefit of the doubt. But when he failed the second time he went complete radio silence and that made the "accident" reasoning he used the first time hard to swallow in retrospect.
Yes, he talks about both. The explanation I talked about was in reference to the second failure.

Back