Robbie vs Askren : Quick thoughts

This is the ultimate test of exactly how good Askren actually is. Lawler may have lost a step, but he isn't going to be slower than Askren, worse at standup than Askren, or too slow to react to Askren as he shoots in. It will very much come down to whether Askren is really as awkward and good as many think he is, or not. Lawler has excellent TDD, adjustments to wrestling, and a good ability to get up off of the bottom. If Askren is really as good as people like Rogan say he is, then he will be able to close the distance and dominate. If he isn't, then Robbie's power will mess Askren's face us. We will find out, and it will be a bad night for one of them, and we will hear claims that the loser is done, or was never that good to begin with as we almost always do.

Throwing Robbie to the wolves... Robbie Lawler who has been the welterwight world champion, defended it against elite level fighters, fought a who's who of top-level MMA fighters and he's being fed to this fucking guy? This is the first real high level fighter Askren has fought in his career.
lawler's old. he has the puncher's chance but i doubt he's going to be able to stop the TDs. to me, lawler looked shot in his last fight. he's only 36 but he's got more fight mileage than just about anyone else. i guess we'll see - i hope he proves me wrong.

also, remember that people have been talking about askren forever, that he would kill in the ufc if he ever came over and all that.

I agree.

But out of curiosity @EmbraceTheGrind, who would you rather see? Excluding Usman and RDA since they’re already fighting. And Woodley. And Colby (since that answer is too obvious) ;)

This is a tough style match up for Askren. Lawler is hard to takedown and hard to keep down. Till would have been a much easier fight for Askren than Lawler is. I give a slight edge to Askren cause Lawler looks like he's lost a good bit of speed, but I wouldn't be suprised if he could keep it standing and TKO/KOs Askren.

lawler's old. he has the puncher's chance but i doubt he's going to be able to stop the TDs. to me, lawler looked shot in his last fight. he's only 36 but he's got more fight mileage than just about anyone else. i guess we'll see - i hope he proves me wrong.

also, remember that people have been talking about askren forever, that he would kill in the ufc if he ever came over and all that.

He go injured during that fight though and didn't look bad till that happened, then he looked bad quick but he was a sitting duck.

This is a tough style match up for Askren. Lawler is hard to takedown and hard to keep down. Till would have been a much easier fight for Askren than Lawler is. I give a slight edge to Askren cause Lawler looks like he's lost a good bit of speed, but I wouldn't be suprised if he could keep it standing and TKO/KOs Askren.
i wonder if WB got injured or something . If Till insists on moving up and WB couldn’t or wouldn't sign to fight Lawler and Lawler wanted a fight, it would explain the why.

And I challenge someone to find another fighter that is closer to a win/win/win/win (Asken, opponent, Zuffa, fans) than this one.

Anyway, I agree with you too that Lawler has good tdd and good stand up ability. I just think Askren is too much. We’ll see in a few months.

Last edited:
Quick thought? I want a vintage brutal Lawler KO, any round will do.

I really hope Askren doesnt find success in the UFC

Robbie's got pretty good tdd and cardio. He can definitely ko askren. I think he will

Lawler and Rory took each others souls when they fought, both are a shell of their former selves after. Never seen Askren fight but his Rasslin is touted very highly.

I think Robbie's a good test for him and a good match-up since Lawler's improved his TDD and butterfly to get up since moving to ATT. Downside is he hasn't looked his sharpest on the feet in recent fights, but he doesn't have to in this.

Since Robbie's made those improvements that were key to winning the belt, Askren dominating him would be a statement more so than body locking Till and working him on the ground, as that would be more expected.

Lawler turned in suspect blood work in his fight with Rory, then went downhill FAST in the USADA era. I have my doubts he's the same guy, certainly doesn't look like it.

For his part, Askren has openly admitted to being outside his physical prime, but we'll have to wait and see how he looks. If he's still in reasonably good form, he should be taking Lawler down and winning a decision.

Lawler is a miletich product from back in the day and wrestled with Matt Hughes on regular..probably the best pure wrestler in MMA history so I don't think Asskrem brings anything Lawler hasnt seen before..that being said Lawler has had a long career been fighting pro since highschool..so the mileage could be catching up to him..

I think Robbie comes ready and finishes him ..lawler isn't one to be passive in fights and won't be accepting positions and get grinded out he'll keep battling and look for the finish..I mean the guy was one legged against RDA and just sat in the pocket trading and ducking and weaving..the dude is a terminator ..I think Asskrem can only win by decision where Robbie has more options..

i hope lawler beats the absolute snot out of him.

Robbie's destruction of Kos was a textbook fight on how to counter a wrestler.

Sadly he lost his step and Ben is much better wrestler.

Kos was on the decline, 2-2 prior to this fight and doing very poorly afterwards.

Kos was on the decline, 2-2 prior to this fight and doing very poorly afterwards.

I agree.

Still the gameplan and execution was perfect, Robbie is still a very tough match up for Ben.

I agree.

Still the gameplan and execution was perfect, Robbie is still a very tough match up for Ben.

He most certainly is and if it was Lawler before his last war with Rory back in 2015 I'd heavily favor him. I just think he took a ton of damage against Rory, I felt he lost against Condit (although it was close), then he got KO'd by Woodley, beat 155 pound Cerrone and got mauled by RDA.

He most certainly is and if it was Lawler before his last war with Rory back in 2015 I'd heavily favor him. I just think he took a ton of damage against Rory, I felt he lost against Condit (although it was close), then he got KO'd by Woodley, beat 155 pound Cerrone and got mauled by RDA.

Ben does not have striking of Woodley and RDA.

And besides pre-USADA Hendricks, no one imposed his wrestling on Robbie.
He ,actually did a good job defending against him as well.

Ben does not have striking of Woodley and RDA.

And besides pre-USADA Hendricks, no one imposed his wrestling on Robbie.
He ,actually did a good job defending against him as well.

You mean other than Shields, Larkin, Jacare and Kennedy?

Back