Robbie vs Askren : Quick thoughts

EmbraceTheGrind

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So we finally get the long awaited UFC debut of Ben Askren. He will get thrown in there with a veteran, top 10 fighter in Robbie Lawler.

I will say, to this day, Robbie hasn't seem anyone close with Ben Askren's wrestling and grappling ability. hendricks was a solid wrestler but he failed to chain wrestle at a high level in mma mainly because his cardio was mediocre even in his prime. Hendricks still had a lot of success in those fights with lawler because Robbie struggled to stop Hendricks' inside wrist control.

I fully believe that Askren will have little to no problem getting him down but keeping him there. His top control is pretty damn elite and it doesn't take him fighting some top 10 WW who hasn't seen a wrestling mat in their life to know this.

I just hope Robbie doesn't get finished. I want to see him have a couple of nice walk off KOs to end his career, just not against Ben.

TL;DR Robbie has a good sprawl but it really ends there his wrist control game is meh and you need it at the highest level to stop Askren and even if you have it you need elite cardio to hang with his chain wrestling and body lock.

Yours truly, Embracethegrind

Robbie just doesn't have it any more sadly

Askren by ud

No way does Askren finish Lawler imo, he may lay on him for 3 rounds and get a boring UD like most of his fights. That aside, I got Robbie by 2nd rd TKO

Robbie's destruction of Kos was a textbook fight on how to counter a wrestler.

Sadly he lost his step and Ben is much better wrestler.

Last edited:
I appreciate both guys' styles; Lawler's slaughtering style and Askren's folkstyle.

Lawler is one of my all time favourite fighters and I like Askren nowadays.

That said, I'm sad UFC made this fight.

Askren hasn't fought anyone elite yet in MMA. He is making his highest level debut in the UFC at 34, he could well turn out to be a monster but he could also get wrecked.
I'll wait till I see him fight at the highest level before I make a judgment on his ability in MMA.

Not saying he can't beat Robbie, but if he gets starched, I won't be surprised mother fuckers.

I welcome him to the UFC though, looking forward to seeing him fight.

YjOPofa.jpg

Askren hasn't fought anyone elite yet in MMA. He is making his highest level debut in the UFC at 34, he could well turn out to be a monster but he could also get wrecked.
I'll wait till I see him fight at the highest level before I make a judgment on his ability in MMA.

Not saying he can't beat Robbie, but if he gets starched, I won't be surprised mother fuckers.

I welcome him to the UFC though, looking forward to seeing him fight.

YjOPofa.jpg
Fucking loldl at that picture....
<[analyzed}>

I fully believe that Askren will have little to no problem getting him down but keeping him there. His top control is pretty damn elite and it doesn't take him fighting some top 10 WW who hasn't seen a wrestling mat in their life to know this.
I wouldn't be so sure. Remember that Lawler was brought up with Hughes and all the other wrestlers in Iowa.

If I was Robbie i would only do TDD training until that date, every single day....

Lawlor is going to look like a cross between a mouse being toyed with by a cat and an upturned turtle, Askren will make this look easy, Funky Ben all day.

I was hoping Askren would fight Thompson and Lawler and Till would get matched up. But I like this fight too. Lawler has defeated high-level wrestlers before, and is far more capable of defending himself against them than a Darren Till for example; hence why big-mouth Ben was asking for the easiest matchup possible in Till to pop his UFC cherry.

That being said, Hendricks's wrestling was a challenge for Robbie, and their 2nd fight could have conceivably been scored for Big Pig. Good match-making.

So we finally get the long awaited UFC debut of Ben Askren. He will get thrown in there with a veteran, top 10 fighter in Robbie Lawler.

I will say, to this day, Robbie hasn't seem anyone close with Ben Askren's wrestling and grappling ability. hendricks was a solid wrestler but he failed to chain wrestle at a high level in mma mainly because his cardio was mediocre even in his prime. Hendricks still had a lot of success in those fights with lawler because Robbie struggled to stop Hendricks' inside wrist control.

I just hope Robbie doesn't get finished. I want to see him have a couple of nice walk off KOs to end his career, just not against Ben.

TL;DR Robbie has a good sprawl but it really ends there his wrist control game is meh and you need it at the highest level to stop Askren and even if you have it you need elite cardio to hang with his chain wrestling and body lock.

Yours truly, Embracethegrind
Totally agree with this. Robbie is a great high profile name for the people who don't know Ben, but for the people who do... this is Robbie being sent in there with a punchers chance against an extremely elite wrestler Ben who is going to grind him out and possibly get a second round sub.

I'm a Lawler fan but he's coming off an ACL surgery. Askren is a tough fight anyway but that's rough. Plus like others have said he hasn't looked good his last few fights. Askren hasn't faced the level of competition Robbie has but Askren should take him at this point in his career.

this is a build up fight for askren, they're throwing robbie to the wolves. askren gets to beat a big name and get introduced to the casuals.

Robbie is going to knock Ben the fuck out, imho.

this is a build up fight for askren, they're throwing robbie to the wolves. askren gets to beat a big name and get introduced to the casuals.
Throwing Robbie to the wolves... Robbie Lawler who has been the welterwight world champion, defended it against elite level fighters, fought a who's who of top-level MMA fighters and he's being fed to this fucking guy? This is the first real high level fighter Askren has fought in his career.

Back