Robbie Lawler surely cannot lose to dos Anjos.

Lawler has had a habit of taking rounds off in his current UFC run though, he did the same vs Hendricks both times for example.

Absolutely he has particularly in 5 rounders. He did the same against Condit. But he's never had a round that slow. Part of it was definitely because he spent a bunch of energy early trying to jump on Cerrone and it was a good call as that flurry probably got him the decision in the end.

But he is clearly slowing down. His output and pace have slowed, and that is a big deal against a fighter like RDA. Especially since RDA's chin issues are a bit overblown. Stephens hit him with a bomb that would have killed anyone and Eddie hit him with about 50 clean shots before they stopped it with RDA still standing. Can Robbie stop him? Sure. Will he? Maybe but probably not. And if he can't stop him he's gotta win a decision while taking at least one, possibly two rounds off, or slowing his pace. I think he can and probably will manage to do it but I think it's far from a guarantee is all I'm saying

I think His chin is pretty shot at this point. I think he’s actually going to lose.

If RDA takes rounds off like he did vs MacDonald, Condit and Cerrone, I can see RDA's pressure exhausting Lawler and one of his kicks putting him out .

Absolutely he has particularly in 5 rounders. He did the same against Condit. But he's never had a round that slow. Part of it was definitely because he spent a bunch of energy early trying to jump on Cerrone and it was a good call as that flurry probably got him the decision in the end.

But he is clearly slowing down. His output and pace have slowed, and that is a big deal against a fighter like RDA. Especially since RDA's chin issues are a bit overblown. Stephens hit him with a bomb that would have killed anyone and Eddie hit him with about 50 clean shots before they stopped it with RDA still standing. Can Robbie stop him? Sure. Will he? Maybe but probably not. And if he can't stop him he's gotta win a decision while taking at least one, possibly two rounds off, or slowing his pace. I think he can and probably will manage to do it but I think it's far from a guarantee is all I'm saying

It will be interesting to see I'd agree and again I think that makes RDA's loss to Fergerson not a great example, that match was really won via Tony pushing the pace with his incredibly good cardio which Robbie almost certainly will not do.

Chin wise I'd agree RDA doesn't really have a weakness, if Robbie lands his best shots he could KO him but really a lot of Lawlers success has been more slow beatdowns and RDA isn't generally one to crack in that position.

Unless Robbie has truly evaporated, I cannot see any way that Rafael wins this fight.

Robbie appeared to be at his peak during his recent UFC run. As much as the Hendricks, MacDonald and Condit fights were wars, he still always came out on top and seriously appeared to be nearly indestructible.

Robbie was flatlined by Tyron, but in all fairness he did the exact right thing to do, and that was to take an extended period of time off. The only worry is that his return against Cerrone wasn't exactly great. You look at the performance of Donald against Masvidal and Till and you have to wonder why this walking zombie in Lawler couldn't finish him off either.

With all that said, I cannot see how the much smaller opponent in Rafael dos Anjos wins this fight.

If they stay standing, dos Anjos is doomed. Rafael will not be able to hurt Robbie, and Robbie will definitely be able to test Rafael's chin, that's not even up for debate. Robbie definitely hits way harder than Stephens and Alvarez and primarily boxes, which tends to be Rafael's biggest weakness. I don't even rate Ferguson's boxing with the elite of the division and even he dominated Rafael on the feet.

Can dos Anjos get this to the floor and win? Well if Hendricks and MacDonald can't, I cannot see a Lightweight doing it.

I think a half decent version of Robbie wins this fight. Robbie's fight to lose, and we will see if he still has it this weekend.

Robbie to me is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA. He could, and in my opinion should have 15 losses on his record. He's got gifted a lot of decisions, and most people agree.

He's definitely improved since moving to WW, and is a fun fighter for the second half of a fight, but it's not surprising me at all if a great fighter like RDA takes him.

Just want to understand this.

You're claiming that if the punches hadn't been swinging, looping, one in a million shots, that RDA would have never lost.

Since when is Lawler a technician in that area? Isn't Lawler a brawler? Isn't he much bigger and much more powerful than Eddie and Jeremy?

I'm saying that identifying "boxing" as a weakness for RDA when his two finish losses from punching came from wide one in a million punches is lazy and inaccurate. He has just as many losses by smothering wrestling that he has to wide ridiculous one in a million punches.

Put your money where your mouth is then. Betting my ejaculatorium on RDA & Mein

Low kicks should make the difference, RDA by DEC.

No, he appeared to be human and beatable, that's why all his fights were close and competitive wars, someone nearly unstoppabble is always dominating his opponents like Spider used to back then.

Not really, 170er RDA is cutting from 200 lbs, Lawler is taller but not really much bigger, size probably won't be a issue since Lawler is not some wrestler and certainly won't go to the ground with RDA.

He's not a lightweight, he is a welterweight who used to cut a lot.
Something I recently learned that I found interesting. RDA was competing at 167 pounds as far back as 2000! He walked around at about 180 pounds and cut to 167 waaaaay back then so he will certainly settle into a healthy size WW more and more as time goes by. he shouldn't be outsized too much in this division.

Unless Robbie has truly evaporated, I cannot see any way that Rafael wins this fight.

Robbie appeared to be at his peak during his recent UFC run. As much as the Hendricks, MacDonald and Condit fights were wars, he still always came out on top and seriously appeared to be nearly indestructible.

Robbie was flatlined by Tyron, but in all fairness he did the exact right thing to do, and that was to take an extended period of time off. The only worry is that his return against Cerrone wasn't exactly great. You look at the performance of Donald against Masvidal and Till and you have to wonder why this walking zombie in Lawler couldn't finish him off either.

With all that said, I cannot see how the much smaller opponent in Rafael dos Anjos wins this fight.

If they stay standing, dos Anjos is doomed. Rafael will not be able to hurt Robbie, and Robbie will definitely be able to test Rafael's chin, that's not even up for debate. Robbie definitely hits way harder than Stephens and Alvarez and primarily boxes, which tends to be Rafael's biggest weakness. I don't even rate Ferguson's boxing with the elite of the division and even he dominated Rafael on the feet.

Can dos Anjos get this to the floor and win? Well if Hendricks and MacDonald can't, I cannot see a Lightweight doing it.

I think a half decent version of Robbie wins this fight. Robbie's fight to lose, and we will see if he still has it this weekend.
Dis anjos is going to poleaxe him

I'm saying that identifying "boxing" as a weakness for RDA when his two finish losses from punching came from wide one in a million punches is lazy and inaccurate. He has just as many losses by smothering wrestling that he has to wide ridiculous one in a million punches.
This is a good point but RDA has gone out of his way to develop fantastic wrestling. It is unlikely he gets wrestle-fu*ked to a loss nowadays. hes spent the last 5+ years focusing on wrestling under the guidance of guys like Mark Munoz, Ben Askren, Heath Sims, Jake Butler, etc. That's some extremely high level wrestling instruction right there.

Imagine having the minerals to call a fight like this such as TS has done.

Honestly the ridicule would haunt me for months if I did and l got it wrong.

I respect it though

That's like his best quality... he's extremely good at playing the score cards. He knows when he's won rounds and he conserves his energy to win the later rounds

It's impressive.. and a skill you can't teach. He's super experienced and that's why he was able to win the belt and defend it.

He went from a fighter who either knocked people out right away or lost.. to a guy that won multiple 5 round decisions at the highest level

Rda isn't shit compared to Robbie. Especially not at 170. If he does win, it's because Robbies time is over
I guess we will agree to disagree.

On top of my head, most media outlets had Hendricks (2nd fight), Condit and Cerrone as the winners. I knew I had all them winning and I love Lawler. He gambles with the judges and been on the good side most of the time.

I guess we will agree to disagree.

On top of my head, most media outlets had Hendricks (2nd fight), Condit and Cerrone as the winners. I knew I had all them winning and I love Lawler. He gambles with the judges and been on the good side most of the time.
It's not luck if it happens over and over again. He knows what the judges are watching. I scored all those fights for him.

In all those fights he conserves his energy and won the last round

Back