Rob Hinds "explains" Manhoef decision, Jimmy Smith tears him a new one.

"To be the champ, you have to beat the champ" isn't a judging rule, it's something fighters should be saying to themselves to push that extra little bit to be the best fighter they can to beat the champion. That isn't a hard and fast rule. Same as "You're not a true champion until you defend your belt", fans treat that like it's a RULE, not something that fighters should be saying to themselves as extra motivation.

Also, i'm not a UFC Shill, and the fight was atrocious. Mentioning CM Punk makes no sense as you're either referencing another issue that people AREN'T criticizing in the matchmaking, or you're saying that CM Punk has put on worse fights, which is mind numbingly dumb. You can win by an inch or a mile as the challenger, it doesn't matter, if you deserved to win, that's it, period. This "OYU HAVE TO CONVINCINGLY WIN THE ROUND OTHERWISE THE CHAMP GETS IT" is nothing but poison.

I've been on Team Takeover, i've been around people who blamed the shitty fights and people's shitty reactions to them on ZUFFA ZOMBIES, settle down. The fight sucked and Manhoef should have won it, doesn't matter if he did 1% more, he did more.

But that doesn't make any sense. The champ is the guy they base the promotion around and they put lots of money into him. If he loses the investment is gone. So if you want to be the new champ, you really should win by KO or sub. Prove you're worthy of being the champ and not just good at being the recipient of a bad judge's error.

Pride had it right - their champs had to go through a whole tournament to prove they were the best. Then if later on they fought someone who shouldn't have been champ and lost, it was a non-title fight so the champ could still keep the title and Pride could hang on to the massive investment they made in promoting the champ. And fans got to see dominant champs who rarely lost the belt. Everyone won. Then Dana ruined everything and the sport went downhill fast.

If all you're going to do is shill for UFC, you definitely should.

You got me. I guess the Fedor av gave it away.

fedor-meh-o.gif

Pride had it right - their champs had to go through a whole tournament to prove they were the best. Then if later on they fought someone who shouldn't have been champ and lost, it was a non-title fight so the champ could still keep the title and Pride could hang on to the massive investment they made in promoting the champ. And fans got to see dominant champs who rarely lost the belt. Everyone won. Then Dana ruined everything and the sport went downhill fast.

Why do you care so much about a promotion's investment?

"Beat the champ" is one of the worst opinions in all of sports

But that doesn't make any sense. The champ is the guy they base the promotion around and they put lots of money into him. If he loses the investment is gone. So if you want to be the new champ, you really should win by KO or sub. Prove you're worthy of being the champ and not just good at being the recipient of a bad judge's error.

MY post makes no sense, and then you spew this dogshit?

Why do you care so much about a promotion's investment?
"Beat the champ" is one of the worst opinions in all of sports

The promotions are putting a lot of money into this and they need to get money out of it or they're gone. No promotions = No MMA.

Pretty simple really.

LOL @ the typo on the middle of the OP "Manhood" instead of Manhoef

The promotions are putting a lot of money into this and they need to get money out of it or they're gone. No promotions = No MMA.

Pretty simple really.

They're making money hand over fist regardless, I'm not worried about it.

extreme stupidity should be a bannable offense

Jimmy keeps it real, one of the best personalitys in MMA

Carvalho landed, like, 3 kicks and had a few seconds of side control. No clue how he won more than one round, much less three.

Yea, and you can see it of you read the pbp threads on here too. Jimmy's not bad, but when Rogan has a favorite it's often hilarious. Though even with him it does get blown out of proportion, he's not as big of a nut hugger as some seem to think he is.
He's not always hilariously bad, but when he's bad, he's fucking bad. Rogan's commentary during Condit-MacDonald led fans to hold literally one of the most inaccurate perceptions of a fight I have ever witnessed ("Rory was beating up Condit before he gassed!").

In reality, Condit clearly won almost every striking exchange (he did get hit clean a few times, I'll admit that, but the amount of clean strikes he landed compared to what Rory landed isn't comparable), and cracked Rory with hard punches and kicks in every round, yet him getting taken down 2-3 times in the first and second round without being GnPed or controlled in any meaningful way in Canada means he was "losing the fight"-- absurd. It is a very literal case of judges/Rogan valuing takedowns that led to nothing over Condit's striking and ground grappling.

i really like Jimmy Smith. Judging by his commentating and articles i read about him its obvious he is verry passionate about mma. pleasant voice to listen to during fights and decently knowledeable aswell.

Its pretty obvious that Manhoef should have won this fight but lets be honest here, the real losers of this titlematch are the fans who paid to watch that fight.

Back