Rizin understands what business they are in...UFC does not

Man, I love Rizin, but this last show was the worst one they've done by far.

I would rank this Rizin FF: July 30th 2017 4th out of the 8 shows.

Rizin FF: July 30th 2017 was way better than Rizin FF: April 2016 (worst show) and a little bit better than Rizin FF: Sakura April 2017.

The only boring match on the card was Miyuu Yamamoto vs Cassie Robb, even that good ground n pound and submission attempts.

Birchak vs Otsuka, Yachi vs Kitaoka, Ishibashi vs Taha, and King Reina vs Tapa were all back and forth.

It didn't have a match that slowed down things like Ishii vs Herring or Baruto match.

I would rank it as the 4th best event right behind
1) Rizin FF: NYE Day 1 2015
2) Rizin FF: World Grand-Prix 2016: 1st Round
3) Rizin FF: NYE Day 2 2015.
4) Rizin FF: July 30th 2017
5) Rizin FF: NYE Day 1 2016.

Best matches in Rizin FF History:
1) Saiga vs Yamamoto
2) Jiri vs Vadim Nemkov
3) Cruickshank vs Kitaoka
4) Rena vs Perjes
5) Hiroyuki Takaya vs DJ Taiki
Honorable Mention: Birchak vs Otsuka, Rena vs Hanna, Thompson vs TK

I would agree that the last event was nothing special by Rizin standards, but Rizin standards is still a stellar event. It was better than the UFC event on earlier in the night and better than any UFC event this year, and i don't think it's that close.

Keep it serious. I think this show was better than UFC 213 (both HW fights on the main card sucked) and will probably be better than this UFC Fight Night: Lil Pettis vs Moreno.

Woodley vs Maia was trash though, I liked the Rizin intermission more than that fight.

Last edited:
I would agree that the last event was nothing special by Rizin standards, but Rizin standards is still a stellar event. It was better than the UFC event on earlier in the night and better than any UFC event this year, and i don't think it's that close.
I enjoy Rizin cards for what they are, but better than UFC 214, lol? Never go full hipster...

I enjoy Rizin cards for what they are, but better than UFC 214, lol? Never go full hipster...

214 was a 12 fight card with 3 good fights (Jones/Cormier, Ortega/Moicano, Lawler/Cerrone), a fast knockout (Manuwa/Oezdemir), and the worst title fight since Woodley's last title fight. Also Jason Knight was knocked out real fast.

Compare that to Rizin where the only objectively bad part of the night was Gabi Garcia's fight ending immediately. Miyuu's fight wasn't remarkable either, but let's not go around pretending like some of the best knockouts of the year weren't on this card (Tenshin/Saiga, Tokoro/Horiguchi, Aliakbari/King)

214 was a good card, better than it was when I recalled it, but I VERY CLEARLY don't mean that it was a better structured card with more top fighters, if that's what you're trying to argue, you know that's not what was meant.

I would rank this Rizin FF: July 30th 2017 4th out of the 8 shows.

Rizin FF: July 30th 2017 was way better than Rizin FF: April 2016 (worst show) and a little bit better than Rizin FF: Sakura April 2017.

The only boring match on the card was Miyuu Yamamoto vs Cassie Robb, even that good ground n pound and submission attempts.

Birchak vs Otsuka, Yachi vs Kitaoka, Ishibashi vs Taha, and King Reina vs Tapa were all back and forth.

It didn't have a match that slowed down things like Ishii vs Herring or Baruto match.

I would rank it as the 4th best event right behind
1) Rizin FF: NYE Day 1 2015
2) Rizin FF: World Grand-Prix 2016: 1st Round
3) Rizin FF: NYE Day 2 2015.
4) Rizin FF: July 30th 2017
5) Rizin FF: NYE Day 1.

Best matches in Rizin FF History:
1) Saiga vs Yamamoto
2) Jiri vs Vadim Nemkov
3) Cruickshank vs Kitaoka
4) Rena vs Perjes
5) Hiroyuki Takaya vs DJ Taiki
Honorable Mention: Birchak vs Otsuka, Rena vs Hanna, Thompson vs TK

Keep it serious. I think this show was better than UFC 213 (both HW fights on the main card sucked) and will probably be better than this UFC Fight Night: Lil Pettis vs Moreno.

Woodley vs Maia was trash though, I liked the Rizin intermission more than that fight.

Saiga/Yamamoto being the best fight in Rizin is a great shout, I would personally have Jiri/Nemkov above it but I haven't seen either in a while and have such a fondness for Jiri/Nemkov.

214 was a 12 fight card with 3 good fights (Jones/Cormier, Ortega/Moicano, Lawler/Cerrone), a fast knockout (Manuwa/Oezdemir), and the worst title fight since Woodley's last title fight. Also Jason Knight was knocked out real fast.

Compare that to Rizin where the only objectively bad part of the night was Gabi Garcia's fight ending immediately. Miyuu's fight wasn't remarkable either, but let's not go around pretending like some of the best knockouts of the year weren't on this card (Tenshin/Saiga, Tokoro/Horiguchi, Aliakbari/King)

214 was a good card, better than it was when I recalled it, but I VERY CLEARLY don't mean that it was a better structured card with more top fighters, if that's what you're trying to argue, you know that's not what was meant.

blinders.

i love jmma, but this last rizin event just wasn't all that good (although probably better than i expected, it looked like shit). no idea how you think " the only objectively bad part of the night was Gabi Garcia's fight ending immediately" given the standards you set with the first paragraph. lei'd tappah? god, no. and the ms yamamoto vs super can was pretty bad, especially since the same thing just kept happening over and over (super can content to get taken down and attempt the same armbar over and over). it was bad.

blinders.

i love jmma, but this last rizin event just wasn't all that good (although probably better than i expected, it looked like shit). no idea how you think " the only objectively bad part of the night was Gabi Garcia's fight ending immediately" given the standards you set with the first paragraph. lei'd tappah? god, no. and the ms yamamoto vs super can was pretty bad, especially since the same thing just kept happening over and over (super can content to get taken down and attempt the same armbar over and over). it was bad.

Lei'd Tapa vs King Reina was good. I was falling asleep near that point, but I remember it being much better than Reina/Jazzy.

I said that Miyuu's fight wasn't remarkable, however I will admit that most of my enjoyment in the fight came from I want Miyuu to succeed so I like when she does well, and she was doing well.

I wholeheartedly disagree that it wasn't good, i've said it didn't have some of the Rizin flavor that i've come to expect, people like RENA really add to the atmosphere, but I'd say the Bantamweight grand prix fights, Yusuke Yachi, Tenshin and the continuing adventure that is King Reina average it out to a good event that isn't close to being Rizin's best.

Those fights and the Birchak, Yachi, Reina, and Albrektsson fights were good to me.

Last edited:
Considering what Rizin had to work with, their entertainment value and presentation was gold standard last night.

UFC is pure trash. They don't know how to put on a show. It's all bland straight forward sh*t. UFC is lucky they have the home advantage of PPV's and because of that they have the leveraging power to get the top fighters but if any organization in the US decides to have the BALLS to be as creative and as hard working as Rizin, they can easily gain a lot of market share from the UFC.

Just imagine if Rizin had a fighter like Mcgregor how that walkin presentation would be. UFC doesn't even like Conor holding an irish flag when walking to the cage lol.

Take note UFC. Rizin is showing you how its done right.
Go watch wwe for that entertainment bs...I'm here to watch the fights, don't care about that gay Japanese mma production bullshit!!!

That's why they had a card last Saturday and nobody knew it was on or gave a fuck right?

Go watch wwe for that entertainment bs...I'm here to watch the fights, don't care about that gay Japanese mma production bullshit!!!
MMA is an entertainment business first and foremost. This isn't serious business like accounting or law or medicine. This is the entertainment business. If you don't like entertainment then you shouldn't be watching mma period.

Go watch paint dry.

Lol at comparing a US based promotion that's been in existence for over 20 years to the Japan based 793rd reboot of PRIDE NEVER DIE. You cannot compare the two. Goofy Japanese bullshit vs cringeworthy nu metal
American crap. Lmao

MMA is an entertainment business first and foremost. This isn't serious business like accounting or law or medicine. This is the entertainment business. If you don't like entertainment then you shouldn't be watching mma period.

Go watch paint dry.

Nice pisss belt noob!

Rizin =

images

Watch WWE TS. That seems to be more up your alley of pyro, promos, and scripted garbage rather than actual competitive fights.

Seems like this board is filled with Japanese mma fans that love all things Japan. Every time an Asian fighter looks good in a fight, he is the next big thing. Then he gets his ass beat by the like of eaten lobov. Same goes for any Japanese event. Rizin is entertaining but comparing it to the UFC is funny. OP would be a big minor league baseball.

Anyone have any idea how many Sky Perfect PPV's Rizin sells?

I guess that in a country that is basically a home of martial arts culture, there must be a certain significant ammout of people who want to watch this live and uncut.

Anyone have any idea how many Sky Perfect PPV's Rizin sells?

I guess that in a country that is basically a home of martial arts culture, there must be a certain significant ammout of people who want to watch this live and uncut.
When PRIDE and K-1 died/were dying back in the late 00s, the overall interest in combat sports in Japan was waning significantly. Even interest in the national sport of Sumo was dying (so much so that they only started to hold one Bassho a year rather than two.)

Not sure if interest has gotten any better since, but I wouldn't hope too hard. UFC is holding an event there in September, but its been two years since the last event they held there--and neither last one or the upcoming one are PPV cards.

Even interest in the national sport of Sumo was dying (so much so that they only started to hold one Bassho a year rather than two.)
just to be clear, sumo has held six tournaments a year since the late 1950's, and only canceled one tournament in 2011 due to a match-fixing scandal, with the following tournament being considered a "technical examination" with no prize money or championship being awarded, and with the competition not being broadcast. interest in the sport was falling though, with the reign of mongolian yokozunas and a couple of big scandals (a baseball gambling scandal revealed the aforementioned match-fixing which led to the dismissal of many wrestlers). although i'm sure the lack of interest in combat sports didn't help sumo, the audiences are quite different and i think the other factors played a much larger role.

interest in sumo seems to be back up though, as the stadiums are regularly sold out during the tournaments which wasn't the case only a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back