Rizin OWGP Reserve Bout

ThunderL1ps

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
What do you make of the choices of Vadim Nemkov facing Alison Vicente?

Was it a budget decision? The fact that both are young and if they call on the winner of that bout, they would have the hunger to succeed and the recuperative powers of youth on their side to be able to slot in as a substitute?

I was hoping for maybe two reserve bouts myself given the unpredictability of a tournament -- especially with that extra day in-between events.

Frankly, I'm surprised they actually have one. Should have had one for the first round, as well.

Works for me. Hoping neither have to factor into the tournament.

Weak alternate fight imo! Nemkov is a Lhw

Frankly, I'm surprised they actually have one. Should have had one for the first round, as well.
They should've had 4 reserve bouts with the winners replacing injured fighters and if enough left over 2 of them could fight in another reserve bout.

They should've had 4 reserve bouts with the winners replacing injured fighters and if enough left over 2 of them could fight in another reserve bout.
With how Japanese big tournaments go, this would have been the best bet. Hence, they did the opposite, and had none.

well, i guess its better than 2 old k-1 fighters doing mma

I was kind of hoping Mighty Mo and Le Banner would face two younger fighters as the alternate bouts. Then Rizin has a choice of who should be inserted into the tournament given the opponent. It would force the younger guys to really perform to win the crowd over. Tournaments should build stars and having two nobodies face each other makes it tougher to build that star. You can do it much quicker beating some name fighter.

It wouldn't' surprise me if the loser of one of the rounds was asked to fight if the winner of the reserve bout is too busted up (i.e. bad cut or broken hand).

Back