Rizin garnered some traction, peaked at 10.3% on FujiTV during Tenshin vs Fujita

FedorGOAT

Ultimate Fedorist
Platinum Member
Reaction score

According to a Japanese user on /r/MMA (/u/hachimitsukasutera)

"Also Fukuoka TV channel TNC, which is the Fuji TV affiliate in Fukuoka Kyushu where the event was held, had a even higher peak rating of 12.5% for the Tenshin fight.

The same TV network had an average rating of 9% (more than the 7.1% reported in Kanto).

So it seems the rumours that the show did very well locally were true."

tenor.gif

They have 2 stars they should continue to build.

Now they need to build a couple more, but this is a good start.

Too bad it didn't make the slightest impact on the rest of the world.

They should lose the paywall.

I guess I don't know how well that is for that time slot in Japan.

Sounds good but compared to what..............

Too bad it didn't make the slightest impact on the rest of the world.

that's not their priority. any worldwide interest is icing on the cake.

Considering historically, Japanese promotions have desperately looked to US expansion when the going gets rough in Japan, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get as big of a footprint internationally as soon as possible.

But if you're already alienating the niche audience with a paywall, then you're also sabotaging word-of-mouth grassroots marketing. The exposure is worth more than whatever few thousand dollars they made on the iPPV in the middle of the night here.

Tenshin is going to be a real star for them.

I agree. I mean ideally one would want to get international coverage, but one needs to get their footing at home before anything else. You can’t build the second story of a building without having a firm foundation.

Rizin is focusing on japan for now, as they should.

Glad the show did well. I want Rizin to succeed.

How hard do you think that liver punch made Bas Rutten?

Also, how in the name of shit are Bas and Mauro not the commentary team?

Rizin survives off its tv rating there. Very good news and likely means could be biggest numbers incoming for NYE.

Considering historically, Japanese promotions have desperately looked to US expansion when the going gets rough in Japan, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get as big of a footprint internationally as soon as possible.

But if you're already alienating the niche audience with a paywall, then you're also sabotaging word-of-mouth grassroots marketing. The exposure is worth more than whatever few thousand dollars they made on the iPPV in the middle of the night here.

It was very easy to watch for free on FiteTV. Everybody bought it retweeted their $20 credit promo codes, so they could get credit. Multiple people could use a code.

Rizin FF is much easier to watch than Dream and Pride, but that is mostly due to technology.

Last edited:
It was very easy to watch for free on FiteTV. Everybody bought it retweeted their $20 credit promo codes, so they could get credit. Multiple people could use a code.

Rizin FF is much easier to watch than Dream and Pride, but that is mostly due to technology.

I paid the $20 no code needed, ( It's just $20 you broke bastards) Also I remember purchasing pride events on ppv back in the day.

I paid the $20 no code needed, ( It's just $20 you broke bastards) Also I remember purchasing pride events on ppv back in the day.
This. I’ve paid for all the events on Fite TV as they’ve been $15 - $20 and people constantly PM’ing me “hey, how you watching? Do you have a stream?”

It’s unbelievable how cheap some people really are.

Some help with promos for 10/22 boxing rematch between Murata v N’Dam’ following their close match where Murata got a knock down and landed harder shots but lost, surprisingly to some, to an active N’Dam.

This rematch helps get folks into a fight entertainment mood. Rizen might have received a little halo boost.

They really shouldn't. People who won't pay to watch the fights are completely useless to them. It's a business.

They really shouldn't. People who won't pay to watch the fights are completely useless to them. It's a business.
Agree for live fights, but think they should release some footage after the events to help generate interest. Bellator released Alvarez v Chandler an incredibly entertaining fight. Last year events could be available with advertising.

Not true. You're not going to get any sales if potential customers don't know your product exists. Killing any grassroots marketing this early on to make a few thousand dollars is the height of bad business.

New Japan Pro Wrestling wouldn't have run shows in the US this year if they were still charging $100+ for the G1 Climax. They made their product extremely accessible to an international audience with the introduction of NJPW World, and are reaping the benefits of increased exposure, massive merchandise sales, and international gates / rights fees.

JMMA promotions usually realize this just before they're about to die. Then what happens are Hail Mary shows like PRIDE 32 or Dynamite USA, where these companies are hedging their bets on the success of late-in-the-game US shows on the hopes it gains immediate traction and they can benefit from UFC-esque success to save their Japanese operations. UFC (who were native to this market) spent a lot of money, took a ton of risks, and spent years to build their brand domestically.

RIZIN already isolating the worldwide market to generate insignificant sales (hardly enough to pay a single fighter, probably) isn't smart decision-making.

New Japan Pro Wrestling wouldn't have run shows in the US this year if they were still charging $100+ for the G1 Climax. They made their product extremely accessible to an international audience with the introduction of NJPW World, and are reaping the benefits of increased exposure, massive merchandise sales, and international gates / rights fees..
This is somewhat of a bad idea.

NJPW has been around for since 1972.

RIZIN has been around for about 3 years.

Also NJPW ran shows before with collaboration with JAPW in the US and they were considered failures.

A lot of NJPW's current success stateside is because of the Bullet Club which is mostly composed of foreigners.

RIZIN already isolating the worldwide market to generate insignificant sales (hardly enough to pay a single fighter, probably) isn't smart decision-making.
RIZIN isn't isolating the worldwide market, they're just building a local, core fanbase first.

Whatever they decide to do going forward is unknown.

Back