RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 Bantamweight Tournament 2nd ROUND - December 29 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated card:

93.0 kg ~ 1 round x 10 minutes + 1 round x 5 minutes:
Jiří Procházka (19-3-1) vs. Karl Albrektsson (6-1)

70.0 kg ~ 3 rounds x 5 minutes:
KING Reina (7-0) vs. Cindy Dandois (8-3)

I just checked on FITE and the NYE events are not there ....I swear that I saw them a few days back, does anyone know if they are going to shown on FITE or regular ppv?

Last edited:
I just checked on FITE and the NYE events are not there ....I swam that I saw them a few days back, does anyone know if they are going to shown on FITE or regular ppv?
The RIZIN FF reddit account told me they’re working on a streaming partner for these 2 and future events.

I just checked on FITE and the NYE events are not there ....I swear that I saw them a few days back, does anyone know if they are going to shown on FITE or regular ppv?
FITE will be streaming both events. I tweeted the links and RIZIN RT'ed it, so that confirms that's where they'll be streaming. Each event will be $19.99 or you can order both events in a 2-pack for $29.99.

I added the link to the OP.

FITE will be streaming both events. I tweeted the links and RIZIN RT'ed it, so that confirms that's where they'll be streaming. Each event will be $19.99 or you can order both events in a 2-pack for $29.99.

Thank u brother

Apparently RIZIN is seriously considering adding Bob Sapp to the NYE card in a retirement match against ideally a young, up and coming fighter:

Thankfully nothing has been finalized yet, so there's still hope it wont happen.

lol just spotted Horiguchi on Alexey Oleynik's video from ATT. good to know he is still training seriously.

Aliakbari just confirmed on his twitter that he will be fighting on the 31st.

Together with the information from the efight.jp article I posted it's pretty obvious that RIZINs plan is to cast Amir as the "young, up and coming fighter" whose popularity is to be increased by a win over Sapp.

Probably the main 2 factors that could keep this from happening are either urealistic financial demands on Sapp's side or a strongly negative fan reaction to the idea (efight.jp is closely connected to RIZIN's PR apparatus and has been used in the past to disseminate some rumours in order to gauge fan interest).

Together with the information from the efight.jp article I posted it's pretty obvious that RIZINs plan is to cast Amir as the "young, up and coming fighter" whose popularity is to be increased by a win over Sapp.

Probably the main 2 factors that could keep this from happening are either urealistic financial demands on Sapp's side or a strongly negative fan reaction to the idea (efight.jp is closely connected to RIZIN's PR apparatus and has been used in the past to disseminate some rumours in order to gauge fan interest).

I hope it is against Jake Heun or Roque Martinez.

I hope it is against Jake Heun or Roque Martinez.

Martinez would be my favorite, Heun would be okay too. He's lobbying to get a fight but I dunno how receptive they are since he's neither an up and comer nor a well established name. Could've also been Banner if they hadnt lowered his profile with the Martinez fight first.
They're trying to get Amir out of the Corinthians-smashing phase of his career and into some higher profile role in the promotion, especially Takada is a fan of his.

Sakakibara confirms ongoing talks with Gomi for a fight in the RIZIN ring.

i went and bought the 2 pack....is basically $24 for both shows since they give you $6 back

Apparently RIZIN is seriously considering adding Bob Sapp to the NYE card in a retirement match against ideally a young, up and coming fighter:

Thankfully nothing has been finalized yet, so there's still hope it wont happen.

please noooooooo

another nooooooooooo. Amir is a top prospect, challenge him, Bob sapp does nothing for his carrer

Martinez would be my favorite, Heun would be okay too. He's lobbying to get a fight but I dunno how receptive they are since he's neither an up and comer nor a well established name. Could've also been Banner if they hadnt lowered his profile with the Martinez fight first.
They're trying to get Amir out of the Corinthians-smashing phase of his career and into some higher profile role in the promotion, especially Takada is a fan of his.

i dont have a problem with neither Roque or Heun...

i think Roque is a tougher test....i hope they can add Heun also to their roster, he looks alot better at HW than at lhw. maybe they can make Heun vs Lebanner and in that way present heun to the japanese fans

I wouldn't say Sapp does nothing for his career, he's still a big name in Asia, bigger than probably any competitive fighter they can bring in for Aliakbari. If they make the fight then it would be for the same reason they make Yachi vs Gomi, quick ratings boost and their young talents get easy wins over name fighters.

That being said, give Sapp his retirement fight but it should be some sort of spectacle. Time to finally throw money at Asashoryu and get him in there. Maybe Harumafuji if his inevitable forced retirement from Sumo happens in time. Or get Baruto back in there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Sapp does nothing for his career, he's still a big name in Asia, bigger than probably any competitive fighter they can bring in for Aliakbari. If they make the fight then it would be for the same reason they make Yachi vs Gomi, quick ratings boost and their young talents get easy wins over name fighters.

Yeah I think the main problem is lack of alternatives; obviously Sapp isnt close to being as big of a star as he was in his prime, but on the other hand, who else could increase Amir's rep among casuals to a similar extent? Certainly no one currently available to RIZIN. As a fan of the sport I cant help but feel disappointed if Amir's NYE match is Sapp though, even if it makes the most sense from a marketing perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back