RIZIN FIGHTING WORLD GRAND PRIX 2017 Bantamweight Tournament 2nd ROUND - December 29 - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just day dreaming but, if Manel Kape beats Ian McCall, Kyoji Horiguchi, and then wins the Rizin Tournament, he could be well on his way to fighting Demetrious Johnson soon.

I'm just day dreaming but, if Manel Kape beats Ian McCall, Kyoji Horiguchi, and then wins the Rizin Tournament, he could be well on his way to fighting Demetrious Johnson soon.

Weird daydream

Roughly translated notes of what was said at the press conference:

McCall: I was able to get out of my UFC contract. I took the RIZIN offer because I want to participate in the tournament. Horiguchi is a fighter that belongs in the UFC. I look forward to meeting him in the finals on NYE.

Kape: McCall is easy money. I finished Erson in a minute. I'll finish McCall in 3 minutes.

Taha: I wanted to fight McCall first, but I look forward to facing Otsuka.

Petshi: I wanted to fight Horiguchi first, but a fight with Ishiwatari is a fantastic opportunity.

Ishiwatari: I'd like to fight Horiguchi in the final.

Horiguchi: I want to fight McCall.

Sakakibara: Unsure of who Horiguchi's opponent is going to be at the moment. It could be Gabriel Oliveira, a Bellator representative or a BAMMA representative.
McCall is going to pull out at the last minute... Joking aside, Kape is going to hurt him bad.

I assume this means the Super Atomweight bracket is remaining as is

Great pairings.

I'm picking RENA vs. Maria as the final.

I don't see anyone beating Rena so I'd like to see Kanna in the final because she could get some of Rena's star power if she makes it a proper fight.

ugly Kanna is a legit grappler. Rena gonna get exposed and end up like poor Andy Souwa.

Excited to see more of that crazy african dude.

The verified RIZIN account on r/MMA posted they'll be making an announcement shortly on who the wild card will be.

They also posted that they're working on broadcast partnerships which means the Fite TV stuff may have been for a couple of shows only and not a permanent deal.

It kind of sucks Kawajiri isn't up there standing beside Horiguchi. That was there plan.

What's sad is Horiguchi standing there at all. Hope he'll be back in the UFC eventuelly

What's sad is Horiguchi standing there at all. Hope he'll be back in the UFC eventuelly
Rizin might be an opportunity for him to gain more populairity. They certainly treat him like a bigger deal there.

Rizin might be an opportunity for him to gain more populairity. They certainly treat him like a bigger deal there.

I can completely understand his motives for wanting to fight there, but as a fan, I'm interested in watching quality fights. A move to Rizin might make Guchi more popular but it could also lead to his career stagnating as he doesn't get pressured as hard.

Last edited:
I can completely understand his motives for wanting to fight there, but as a fan, I'm interested in watching quality fights. A move to Rizin might make Guchi more popular but it could also lead to his career stagnating as he doesn't get pressured as hard.
Fighting at 135 gives Horiguchi pressure and career experience if the UFC shuts down 125. Since his 1st Rizin fight in April, his twitter follower count has doubled to 24k.

Fighting at 135 gives Horiguchi pressure and career experience if the UFC shuts down 125. Since his 1st Rizin fight in April, his twitter follower count has doubled to 24k.

Horiguchi is realistically too small for 135. See below. Even for this tournament he's going to be at a significant size disadvantage.
RizinBigger.png

Full Picture:
20171017_RZN_01-1.png

Horiguchi is realistically too small for 135. See below. Even for this tournament he's going to be at a significant size disadvantage.
View attachment 294479

Full Picture:

To be fair, Horiguchi is back a few steps compared to the other guys.

The slot capsules played in Horiguchi's favor because he was able to place himself on the Flyweight side of the GP.

The slot capsules played in Horiguchi's favor because he was able to place himself on the Flyweight side of the GP.
Well I couldn't find a proper side angle, but in the quarter finals Horiguchi was placed vs. a significantly bigger Hideo Tokoro, and than for the 2nd round was almost former lightweight Tatsuya Kawajiri.

HoriguchiHideo.jpg

Last edited:
I love Rin but man, I love me some Rena as well.

But Chael says the smaller guy has the advantage.

RIZIN just announced a press conference for tomorrow, viewable as usual (youtube + facebook).

They will announce Horiguchi's opponent and 2 more fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back