RIZIN.11: July 29th 2:00 AM EST - Live PBP Discussion Thread

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a unforgivably dumb decision? For the past month people who know more about JMMA than me were discussing how Kai Asakura needs to be on the 08/12 card, not 07/29.
RIZIN outsmarted me because now they can double dip on the Asakura ticket sales.

Anyways

cac832792d17ab41d63ec2347c732187126877c5_large.jpg

Gomi's new opponent will be the next bout announced. This is ccording to Sato, the VTR guy from Rizin/Dream/Pride.

Perhaps related - Kitaoka stated he will soon announce his next bout.

Gomi vs Kitaoka would be a fast tap.

Gomi's new opponent will be the next bout announced. This is ccording to Sato, the VTR guy from Rizin/Dream/Pride.

Perhaps related - Kitaoka stated he will soon announce his next bout.
A night of rematches.

Nice. Cruickshank is great to watch, but he also needs to not flip off opponents after he's knocked them out.

Nonetheless I think we've got a acceptable card now.

I think it's a good competitive fight.

2409d26d04ec967669cf464e4699868f438fb0fc_large.jpg

Gomi vs Guillard

This might be the worst recent-record fight I've ever had interest in, but stylistically it seems fun.

I'm thinking Guillard has looked a little sharper and more dangerous the last few years though. Might finish Gomi inside 3:00, which seems to be the standard these days.

Last edited:
Did the UFC ever try to sign Ogikubo? I'm assuming maybe they did but probably for nowhere near what he gets paid to fight in Japan. I thought he had a really good showing on TUF overall and even though he lost to Tim, he didn't look really outclassed. And he beat Pantoja who I believe was either #1 or #2 seed in that season. After the season ended I thought it was weird he didn't have a fight lined up since usually the semi-finalists all get at least one fight, and thought he was both good and young enough to keep around for at the very least any of the Asia cards. I am guessing it comes down to money but just wondering if anyone knew what happened.

Did the UFC ever try to sign Ogikubo? I'm assuming maybe they did but probably for nowhere near what he gets paid to fight in Japan. I thought he had a really good showing on TUF overall and even though he lost to Tim, he didn't look really outclassed. And he beat Pantoja who I believe was either #1 or #2 seed in that season. After the season ended I thought it was weird he didn't have a fight lined up since usually the semi-finalists all get at least one fight, and thought he was both good and young enough to keep around for at the very least any of the Asia cards. I am guessing it comes down to money but just wondering if anyone knew what happened.
I agree 100%. Hiromasa's win over Pantoja shouldn't be understated, as it was the first loss in Pantoja's career in 7 years.

Hiromasa looked very solid, and he's got a personality that UFC likes, so it's weird he seemingly wasin't sought after.

It was on the UFC's end. Ogikubo continually called for an offer on Twitter and after each of his last 2 fights, UFC just doesn't care about Flyweight or Japan, and especially Japanese Flyweights.

Brandao seems like a great fit for Rizin. He can finally go full Maximo Blanco.

Wow wasn't expecting Diego Brando. And vs. Kitaoka? What a wonderful submission match up.

For a card that lost Crocop and Tenshin, as well as had to share its talent with a show 2 weeks later (Yachi, Reina etc.), this 07/29 event is looking pretty damn fun.

Last edited:
Back